Taxes...

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mccaroline
  • 1 Post By mccaroline
  • 1 Post By helios
  • 1 Post By ~MamaTutu~
  • 1 Post By helios

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Who got notification regarding your taxes in the mail today or recently? It says you no longer need a code to file online.

Do you do your own?
Pay someone else to?
Does tax time stress you out?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't received our info yet.

I do my own, after the amount of time I worked in a CA firm I better do my own, otherwise my old boss might wonder why he paid me for all those years. Tax time used to stress me out when I worked for the CA firm and worked a massive amount of overtime, but now it doesn't phase me at all. Actually, and this is really sad, I really miss tax time at the office.
Jessimaaka likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Have not got our info yet.

I do our own entrys...but we have to take into a Accountant to finalize everything.
Usually I take the long route and we file in March(Farmers can). Then i am stressed to get it done.

January 15th, 2013, 03:25 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't received anything about taxes in the mail yet.

We usually just go to H&R block, and no it doesn't stress us out lol we usually get ours done by the end of Jan!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

January 15th, 2013, 04:45 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety_pie View Post
We haven't received anything about taxes in the mail yet.

We usually just go to H&R block, and no it doesn't stress us out lol we usually get ours done by the end of Jan!
We used to go to H&R block, until one year they told us that we would have to pay in so we got a second opinion, and got over $1K back!

I usually do our own, and then have my mom look them over.
January 15th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
We haven't received our info yet.

I do my own, after the amount of time I worked in a CA firm I better do my own, otherwise my old boss might wonder why he paid me for all those years. Tax time used to stress me out when I worked for the CA firm and worked a massive amount of overtime, but now it doesn't phase me at all. Actually, and this is really sad, I really miss tax time at the office.
Which one did you work for? I worked for Deloitte for 4 years I worked in the audit department except for one tax season to get my tax hours.

I am a CA, so I do ours, and a few other friends. It doesn't stress me out because I'm super organized and we are done and filed by the day after receiving our last slip.

Jess
January 15th, 2013, 04:59 AM
It was a small private company, two brothers ran it and there were only 6 of us in the office total. The one brother wanted to retire so it got bought out a few years ago.

January 15th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I've debated going to a small one for more flexibility now that I have DS, but I've found my current work is pretty good, and I get paid overtime, which I wouldn't get at a firm!

Jess
January 15th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I got that slip the other day too

DH does ours; numbers make my eyes glaze. It doesn't stress me out so long as we don't have to give them more money...of course I might feel differently if I were the one dealing with the paperwork
January 15th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post
I've debated going to a small one for more flexibility now that I have DS, but I've found my current work is pretty good, and I get paid overtime, which I wouldn't get at a firm!
Getting paid overtime is nice. We never got paid overtime where I worked, but in leu of that we were never questioned when we needed time off for a sick kid or doctor's appt or anything like that. And since there were so few of us the boss always brought in lunch on Saturdays and if we stayed past the supper hour he would make sure we were fed then as well. Then he threw two big parties when tax season was over, one just for us where he would shut down the office and take us out to a fancy lunch somewhere and one for our spouses who put up with us being away from home where we'd go out for a night to do some activity and have a big dinner. The brothers were seriously awesome to work for.
Jessimaaka likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you do your own?Oh HEELZ NO!
Pay someone else to?Always! Usually just H&R Block... we haven't hard any issues
Does tax time stress you out?to the extreme...every year we get money back, and I would happily give that up and let the gov. keep their money, if it meant I didn't have to file! I'm dead serious!

January 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM
so funny!

Jess
January 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM
helios's Avatar Veteran
I use turbotax to do ours, and then file online. I don't find it stressful at all but our taxes are not complicated and we always get a return. I'm happy to hear you no longer need a code to file online! I always lose mine.
Jessimaaka likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I use Ufile since we got it free at the place I used to work and now its what I'm used to.

Welcome Helios

Jess
January 15th, 2013, 05:17 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I have always used Telefile so I didn't get that slip, I guess.

Do you do your own? Yes, but this year will be harder since we now have a dependent and I am married. If I have trouble I will have to call in - they are always very helpful.
Pay someone else to? I might this year if it is too difficult but I never have in the past.
Does tax time stress you out? No, not at all. I get excited to do it every year to see if I get money back - which is rare and if it is, it is under $100 but on the other hand I have never had to pay more than $100 either.
January 15th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have an accountant do ours. DH is incorporated and he pays us each a salary, so everything is more complicated.
Jessimaaka likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 07:28 PM
From the perspective of the accountant, that makes things easier!!!! I've done corporate ones, personal ones paid a salary, and personal ones where the person is a sole proprietor or a partner in a partnership and those are much more difficult!

Jess
January 16th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do all my entries and then send it off to the accountant. Dh and I have a partnership (farm) so they write of the depreciation etc.

I am always a little stressed out about it, it's work to get it ready and organized to bring to the accountant, I never know what we're going to end up owing and we get a $4000 accountant bill.
January 16th, 2013, 07:59 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post

Welcome Helios
Thanks! You seem like a fun bunch
Jessimaaka likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search