Birthday Parties

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just because this is a topic fresh on my mind and DH and I have random arguments over this I have to ask what others do.

Did you grow up having birthday parties as a kid?
Did your DH have birthday parties as a kid?
Do/will you throw birthday parties for your kids?
What ages do you do parties for?
Big elaborate parties or small simple parties?

January 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had parties as a kid, from about kindergarden until I was 10 or 12

DH didn't have any parties as a kid, it wasn't something his parents did.

I love throwing parties for my kids.

I started with the girls that they get their first party when they turn 5 in kindergarden, I'm thinking when they turn 10 it will be the last actual party, after that maybe just take a couple of friends to see a movie or something.

I generally throw parties that are way overboard. I've done Japenese tea parties complete with hand made sushi, bamboo, table and cushions on the floor. Garden fairy parties where I made each girl a wand, tutu and wings. Dress up princess parties, and now a carnival party with games and prize tables.

Me having grown up with birthday parties and my DH having not is the source of our arguments since he doesn't see why we need to do them for our kids and I tend to go all out.

January 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
That sucks that he doesn't want to do do them just because he didn't as a child.

Did you grow up having birthday parties as a kid? Of course!
Did your DH have birthday parties as a kid? Yes
Do/will you throw birthday parties for your kids? We plan to. Until he's a little older, it will be with our families, and some of our friends. As he gets older, he can choose a theme and we will work with that.
What ages do you do parties for? Until he goes to school, it will be family and our friends, and real parties I guess after he's 4
Big elaborate parties or small simple parties? I'd say I'm in the middle...and how much I can do depends on what theme he chooses...although I will probably lean more towards elaborate, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and go all out when I'm commited
mccaroline likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Did you grow up having birthday parties as a kid? Yes.
Did your DH have birthday parties as a kid? Yep.
Do/will you throw birthday parties for your kids? Yes, we do.
What ages do you do parties for? All of them so far to some degree, and will continue until they ask us not to lol.
Big elaborate parties or small simple parties? Somewhere in the middle
mccaroline likes this.
January 19th, 2013, 08:05 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Did you grow up having birthday parties as a kid? Yes, like Caroline from 5 up till 10 or so.
Did your DH have birthday parties as a kid? He says he can't remember but if he did they were small (they were not very well off).
Do/will you throw birthday parties for your kids? Yes.
What ages do you do parties for? I think anytime during elementary school is fair up to 12 or so.
Big elaborate parties or small simple parties? It'll depend on what he wants. if he just has a couple of close friends and he wants to do something bigger like go to Canada's Wonderland or something I will pay for that for 3 or 4 kids but not his whole class!
January 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you grow up having birthday parties as a kid?yes
Did your DH have birthday parties as a kid?yes
Do/will you throw birthday parties for your kids?yes
What ages do you do parties for?1-12 ish... although the last few years will be optional to my child, I'd probably offer them the cash it would cost instead, which is what my parents did. My last party was at 11, and I took the money at 12
Big elaborate parties or small simple parties?Probably a mixture of both. Mostly simple stay at home parties with all their friends, and as they get older take 2 or 3 friends into the city (2 hrs away) to something cool.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search