Anyone Rent?? I Need Advice

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
rhysmom's Avatar Veteran
Hey Girls

I don't normally post here, I am more of a lurker. I enjoy reading and staying up on everything going on.

Here's the situation. We are currently renting our house. We are saving for a bigger down payment to buy a house. Well on the long weekend in July our landlords called us on the cell phone (we were away for the weekend). They wanted to tell us that they have were trying to decide if they wanted to sell the house and they'd be in touch. Then the week of July 10th they called and said they'd be by with the real estate agent on the 12th to view the house to put it on the market. We have a 9 year old and a 15 month old so our house isn't alway in tip top shape. We both work out of the house and put in long hours. Cleaning is the last thing I want to do when I come home after a long day. Anyway, back to my story, they then said they'd be bringing in a bunch of agents ( over 20 showed up) the following Thurs for an open house so everyone in the area could get a feel for what it looked like inside. I came home from work on Friday and the sign was up. They never formally told us they were selling ( mind you we figured it out on our own when they brought the agent thru to measure and stuff). They then call on Sunday and say someone is coming thru on Tues evening. We then get a call at 10 pm! asking if they can go thru the following day. The time of the call was inappropriate and we were not given adequate notice. I then got 2 calls at work today asking about viewing for tomorrow during the day (which is ok) and tomorrow at 6:30, where the heck am I supposed to go at dinner time with 2 kids! Is it unreasonable to ask for some sort of compensation ( $ of our monthly rent until house sells) or is this just something we have to deal with. Sorry for the rambling on, but I am just about at the end of my rope. You can only keep a house clean for so long with kids running around after you destroying it.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks for listening
Becky

Heart Rate
Dec 11/07 - 173 - 10 wks
Feb 13/08 - 146 - 20 wks
Mar 11/08 - 152 - 24 wks
July 26th, 2006, 12:31 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Each province has laws regarding rent.

I am a landlord, I know the laws in Alberta

First of all, are you on a fixed term lease (such as a one year lease) or are you on a month to month lease? If you are on a fixed term (rented from Sept 1/05 to Aug 31/06 for example) then when the lease is up you can decide not to renew the lease or the landlord can, but the landlord cannot make you leave because it is being sold. If you are on a month to month lease you have to be given 90 days notice and then you would have to move.

In Alberta, laws state that notice has to be written (hand delivered or by email or fax) with 24 hours notice. Showings cannot happen after 8pm or on Sundays. You can say no if there is less than this amount of time.

I would recommend, after you contact your local landlord and tenants board, that you write a letter to the effect, stating what the laws say, and deliver it to your landlord and CC it to the landlord and tenants board.

July 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im glad you replied to this. this made me very angry. I sure hope that you nip this in the bud!

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
July 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM
rhysmom's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for replying. We are on a month to month basis, so I guess we have 90 days max from the time the house sells.

Thanks again
Becky

Heart Rate
Dec 11/07 - 173 - 10 wks
Feb 13/08 - 146 - 20 wks
Mar 11/08 - 152 - 24 wks
July 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Thanks for replying. We are on a month to month basis, so I guess we have 90 days max from the time the house sells.

Thanks again
Becky[/b]
Not necessarily, what province are you in?

I am assuming you rent from the first of the month.

Lets' say the landlord says to you tomorrow (July 27) that it is sold, then he can give you the 90 days (3 months). This would not include any of July as you paid for it already, so it would be all of August, September and October, you would have to move Oct 31.

If the landlord told you on August 2, then it wouldn't include August as you would have paid it already. So it would be all of September, October, and November, having to move Nov 30.

BUT, it all depends on what province you are in. Also, I am assuming you have a written lease. If it is verbal then you don't have a leg to really stand on.

July 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM
rhysmom's Avatar Veteran
Brandybehr

You are a fountain of knowledge. I am so glad I posted my question here. We pay bi monthly 1st, 15th, how does that work? and yes we have a written lease, although I can't find it. I should dig it out.

Thanks Again
Becky

Heart Rate
Dec 11/07 - 173 - 10 wks
Feb 13/08 - 146 - 20 wks
Mar 11/08 - 152 - 24 wks
July 26th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Brandybehr

You are a fountain of knowledge. I am so glad I posted my question here. We pay bi monthly 1st, 15th, how does that work? and yes we have a written lease, although I can't find it. I should dig it out.

Thanks Again
Becky[/b]
What province are you in? Are you in Alberta? If you are, I can help you with the answers, if you are in another province then what I am telling you doesn't matter one bit as each province is different in regards to landlord and tenant laws.

July 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually live in the same town as Becky, we live in Ontario.
My BIL owns property here and is a landlord,, the laws are the same here... 90 days, 24 hours notice, no showings after 8pm or on sundays.

Becky have you had any luck in finding a new place to rent yet??

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 27th, 2006, 04:14 AM
rhysmom's Avatar Veteran
Nope, no luck yet. As Kat says I live in Ontario and now I have another question. We paid last month rent, are we still required to give 2 months notice? They are the ones that have decided to sell the property, if something comes up and we want to move right away, will we get our last months rent back if we don't give 2 months?

Thanks Girls!
Becky

Heart Rate
Dec 11/07 - 173 - 10 wks
Feb 13/08 - 146 - 20 wks
Mar 11/08 - 152 - 24 wks
July 27th, 2006, 07:26 AM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
here's the website for Ontario

http://www.orht.gov.on.ca/scripts/index_.asp

The laws are very similar to Alberta.

You should call the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal and they will tell you exactly what to do, what forms to use, etc.!!! They are very helpful there!

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
July 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Without looking at the laws, if it is the same as Alberta, your lease would be written with either the 1st or the 15th as the start date (I know you pay every 2 weeks, but leases are written by the month). Assuming it is the 1st of the month, you can give written notice BEFORE you pay on the 1st, this gives you until the end of the month (end of August). If you pay first and give notice second, then the notice won't take effect until September 1 and you will be renting for the month of September.

In Alberta it is illegal to take a security deposit as last months' rent. Here security deposits are different, they are just that, security and are completely seperate from rent and are re-imbursed, less any damages, with 14 days of the end of the tenancy.

July 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I don't know anything about laws, but this is interesting! I rented an apartment (not the same as a house, I know) and when I was getting married we needed a bigger space, obviously. So I informed my landlord I wanted to sublet. She NEVER gave me notice, she always came through whenever she wanted. It got to the point where I didn't care, just left my house how I had it and sometimes (like when I was in the bathroom) I through the slide lock across because she just came in whenever she wanted!!! NO PRIVACY!

I am so sorry you are going through this...hope things get resolved as soon as possible!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search