Wdyt?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Winnipeg high school tells leggings-clad students to cover up

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
February 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
Super Mommy
Leggings like the ugly ones we used to wear in the early 90s arent so bad, but tights.. even the wool ones are a bit too skanky. Esp at a catholic school ^.^
February 3rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure where the line should be drawn. I agree that tights (which to me are just thick nylons) shouldn't be worn alone and need a dress, skirt, long shirt or something over top. But say yoga pants aren't necessarily tight, my yoga pants are looser than skinny jeans, they would look silly with something over them. Leggings, fall somewhere in between and need discression, can you see your panties through them? If yes, they need a long shirt, dress or skirt. If no, then wear them.

February 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's really up to the school what they want to allow. I live by the mantra 'Tights are not pants' lol ok that was a joke... kinda. But if a school said, you're no longer allowed to wear the colour red, then so be it... it's school, not your home. If you can be required to abide by some pretty crazy dress codes in the workplace (uniforms etc) why should schools be limited in their power to dictate dress?

I figure if a kid is so upset, when they go home they can change into whatever they like. When I was in school our dress code included no short shorts, no bare middrift, no spaghetti straps, no gang symbols/inappropriate slogans etc. we got by pretty easily.. I think there are plenty of other clothing options to choose from... and if a no tights rule, means a student has to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe to be allowed in school, they probably needed it anyways.

February 3rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dislike leggings without a long enough top over them, you shouldn't wear them if you look terrible in them or if you look super fantastic in them. I have seen a few people wearing "tights" (I'm talking the thick pantyhose type) as pants, and that's wrong, they need a dress/skirt type something over top. I think the school is legit in that aspect.
I do think they're taking it a little far with the yoga pants, but whatever, it's their school. I also think the colored hair is a little extreme (especially since it's been a trend and pretty mainstream). My girls go to a Christian School with a pretty firm dress code when it comes to spaghetti straps and shorts etc, but the hair is not a problem.
February 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I think as long as it is modest (not skin tight, everything'important' is covered, and you can't see through it) than it should be up to the student/parents. And no inappropriate symbols and slogans, of course.
February 3rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
if a no tights rule, means a student has to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe to be allowed in school, they probably needed it anyways.
ITA!

I'll be the first to admit I wear tights. But I wear them with long sweaters. And 6 months later I still really don't fit into my pre-preggo jeans so they're a stopgap - 5 or 7 dollar tights vs 50+ for jeans...I'll take it! But everything is covered.

And yoga pants is silly! But to each their own.

I went to a catholic school and we had a uniform. I wonder if there's another underlying issue that prompted this rule. A few years after I left highschool, they stopped providing the kilt as an option for part of the uniform due to too many issues in terms of how short they were. Now I see girls shivering at bus stops in -20 degree weather in the shorts that they replaced the kilt with

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search