Children Passports

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Countrymom4
  • 1 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
So my cousin that lives in Boston is getting married in June. We're thinking of making it our vacation for the summer. So I was checking out passports...and he'd need one?!?! And I need a long-form birth certificate? I only got the short-form one! And he needs a picture? That is silly! He'll look different next month anyways.

Any experience with this?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
February 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All except the long form birth certificate. I heard that was coming into effect and got all my kids passports done. Now I just have to keep them up to date and renew them before they expire so I don't need to get that for them.

Getting an acceptable pic for a 7 month old was a job and a half! It took us so many tries and some places won't even do a baby. I finally found one place in the city who would do it and got it right on the first try, he was also the most expensive for the pic but after having retakes done so many times at Shoppers and being turned away from places like Costco and walmart it was worth the money.

Good luck!

February 6th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you order the birth certificate, you should get it quickly in the mail. I did it last year, so we only needed the short one, but that shouldn't be an issue. The picture can be tricky. It's really just about finding the right place to do it for you. We had ours done at Costco (he was a little older, maybe 12 months?, I don't remember). James only needed one take and it was painless. I agree that it's silly to have a picture for a baby, because they do change so much.
February 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Takes us a week to get a birth cert. The pita is getting them to sit still long enough for a pic. Kids passports are only good for three years

Lucky mother to five!

February 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I find passports so difficult because they expire so often for the kids. I understand why they want them updated, but just a pain. All our passports expire at a different time.

To help with the picture we gave Rogan cheerios to stuff him mouth so he wouldn't smile.
Just_Marie and magz88 like this.

February 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
Timely thread! We are hoping to go on vacation this summer with the little one, so I need to start getting his passport sorted out. I am REALLY not looking forward to getting the pictures done. My son cannot sit still, ever!
February 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Only one of my 5 has a passport, and she got it last year. I do need to get them for my other 4 this spring, but they're older, so no biggie.

What a pain to get a little ones pics done, especially since they're so fussy about it (had to go back and get another pic done with my 14 year old last year).
February 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you driving or flying. he only needs one if you are traveling by air. By land you need a birth certificate, and if dh isn't traveling with you a note.

With infant passports, they are a little more relaxed with all the 'rules' but the place you get them done will know what to do. I recommend NOT going to Walmart, the majority of all passport photos rejected are from Walmart!

February 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Really?!?! Good to know! We're driving, and DH will be with us...I didn't know the rules would be different vs air travel...do you know if its a short-form or long-form birth certificate? And a website where I can find this info because I seem to have issues trying to find out any information

Jess
February 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Short form birth certificate is fine, even a photocopy is fine as long as you're driving, you only need a passport if you're over 15.

Here's the website:
Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
Jessimaaka likes this.

February 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Thank you!!!! That's awesome!

Jess
February 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Yep, you only need one if you're flying. For driving you need a birth certificate, and possibly another piece of ID (like medical card).
February 10th, 2013, 05:50 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Just so you know you can take a child across the border in a car or a boat with just a birth certificate until they are 16 years old. I was surprised to learn it was that old! I'm sure you'll get Cam a passport before then, but if you aren't planning on flying with him anytime soon then there's no rush.

Pinterest
Flickr
February 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Its so weird, I didn't think there would be a difference depending on method. I still have to order his long-form one for when we do get his passport with the new rules. Lovely!

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search