Family Dr/GPs

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How does this work in your area?

Here there is a hotline you can phone that hooks you up with Dr.s in your area accepting new patients. I haven't had a Family Doc. since moving almost a year ago. And now I'm looking for one that will take DH, Myself and Bebe.

Problem is, there is only 1 Dr. accepting new patients in the city 1 hr from here, (closest medical centre Canada side) and he has no reviews on any dr. rating website. (my guess is maybe he's a new grad)

Do you have a Family Dr? Did they just automatically accept your child into their care? If you found one just before or after your baby was born, did you put them through any kind of 'interview'... asking their feelings on Vaccinations, Circumcision, Prescribing Meds etc? or was it more of a 'take what you can get' kind of environment.

I only ask because I know in the US, most Dr.s have an interview prior to you actually choosing who your child sees. But that makes sense when you are paying them... what about in Canada?

Would it make sense for me to call now, or wait until the baby arrives. I know that the appointment wait times can be long (before you get a date that you can be seen) but how does that do when baby needs to be seen at 2 weeks, 6 weeks etc? I can't predict when baby is going to arrive, and neither can they.

March 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
My family Dr. recently retired, and his "good" patients were transferred to a new group of Drs. My family (ie my parents, siblings and me) were transferred. He retired September 30 2011, and I got my bfp Dec 4 2011 so my first visit to the new Drs was to confirm I was pregnant. They accepted DS. DH has his own family Dr. but if he retires, I hope mine would take him on!

My old Dr. was very old-school, by the book, etc. but this new place, we mainly see the RNs, and they're great. They love that DS is in cloth diapers, no comments about his amber necklace, or that we didn't circumcise. We vaccinate on their schedule, but its not the usual schedule, there's some delays. So it works for us. We basically lucked out.

I don't see any issues with interviewing, so if that is really your only option, at least you'll know what your battles could be, and can gear up (or pick the ones that are most important).

Don't wait...the schedule (at least in Ontario, not sure how different it would be out there) is the baby is seen is 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 2 months, 3 months...a lot of visits right up front. Dealing with a newborn for the first time is hard enough! If you can take out an additional stressor, I'd recommend it! My office I never had to wait long, when I got my bfp I only had to wait 4 days to get in, and for the 1 week appointment, I called the day after he was born and we went from there. They run with military precision though, I've never seen anything like it!

Hope that helps!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I lucked out with our doctor. We were without a family doctor for a few years after my childhood doctor retired. I was in the hospital having Sophia and the pediatrics doctor offered to take us as patients.

She also loves the fact that we cloth diaper and a lot of natural remedies. She doesn't agree with us non-vaccing, but she doesn't push the topic either.
March 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a doctor who I started seeing as a teen, but she kept cutting her hours until she was near impossible to get an appt. My DH's doctor retired and he got sent to a new practice. After his first appt with the new doctor he asked if they were accepting patients and told them that I was looking. DH's doctor and his wife are both in the same practice so DH's doc got me in to see his wife. When she took me on she automatically took the kids. I did meet her for an interview, but it was nothing major, just more of a get to know you and go over my basic medical history. I really like having the whole family at the same practice.

I know if you're looking for a ped here for your child you need a referal and basically take whoever you get to see and the waiting lists are really long!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search