Grown Up

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 12:17 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since we're all adults here and have (or are having) kids of our own, do you feel like a grown up? Do you get treated like one from the older adults in your family, or do some still make you feel like a child? When making big decisions do you still consult with your or your DH's parents or do it on your own and tell them later?

March 4th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Since we're all adults here and have (or are having) kids of our own, do you feel like a grown up?For the most part yes... I've felt though that I've been a lot more mature than my peers for a long time... getting married at 18 does that to you I think
Do you get treated like one from the older adults in your family, or do some still make you feel like a child? Most family is fine, but I actually find my cousins who are 10-15 yrs older than me to be the worst, for 'talking down' to me... although always in a kind way...if that makes sense
When making big decisions do you still consult with your or your DH's parents or do it on your own and tell them later?I usually consult my mom and tell MIL later... I really should just be doing things on my own, because my mom is quite opinionated and judgemental, but I always feel better just knowing that someone is in my corner before jumping into a decision.

March 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Since we're all adults here and have (or are having) kids of our own, do you feel like a grown up? Yes, I'm an "old soul" if that makes sense. Plus, I started having my kids young and it really grows you up.
Do you get treated like one from the older adults in your family, or do some still make you feel like a child? For the most part they do treat me as an adult and thankfully my family knows when to butt out and let us do our thing
When making big decisions do you still consult with your or your DH's parents or do it on your own and tell them later? It depends on the decision, most we just go ahead and make on our own, but if it's something that I feel one of them knows more about I will ask.
March 4th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I didn't start feeling grown up until I hit my 30s, but there are still times I call my mom and dad begging for help like a kid again.

I'm going nuts right now. Between my parents, DH's parents and DH's uncle who is our realestate agent they are all treating us like we're kids and can't buy a house on our own. If we happen to buy this one it will be the 4th house we've bought, we're not exactly new at this. Every one has an opinion about what is "right" for us, and if I hear "have you thought about..." one more time I might scream. But we get that about anything we tell them we might or might not do.

I would love to just go do something and tell our parents after, but it never seems to work that way. We're all very close to our families and even if we tried I know it wouldn't happen and then they'd be mad.

March 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Very interesting Caroline...the funny thing is normally I talk to my parents about things, but for buying our house, they knew we were looking, but we told them about the offer after we put it in, but before it was accepted. I think we did that because we would get the "Did you think about this..." etc, and we did not want to deal with that. I'm sorry its making the experience not so fun

That said, if I'm at my house I feel like I'm older, but when I go back home, even with my husband and son, I'm still one of the kids. But I feel grown up at my house, and not so much at my parents So I'm kind of a mixture...I'm 28 so approaching my 30s, maybe I'll make up my mind that I'm grown up by then!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Every single person wants to know where we're getting the money, what our mortgage will be, who's holding it, did we get the best interest rate, how much will we have to put into it for renovations, etc, etc. I mean I understand that as an agent DH's uncle wants to know that all financials are in place, preapprovals are done and we aren't wasting his time, but he doesn't have to run back to DH's Mom with that info so that she can call and question us.

Then we're getting questions about why we want to live in this village, and how far away it is from DH's family (it's 30 min, seriously not that far!), and a whole list of "have we thought ofs" I feel like we're on that show Property Virgins with all the questions we're being asked. You'd never believe we're in our mid 30's, have bought 3 houses before and actually have an idea what we're doing.

And I totally get feeling like a kid when I go to my parent's house. Even with DH and the kids with me.

March 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
That's rough. Did you sign a contract with him or can you go to another agent to avoid this? That would probably still put you in an awkward position with your family though. Can you ask him not to report back? That is ridiculous and I'd be super frustrated.

Jess
March 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I wanted to use a different agent to avoid some of this, but that was a no go. Cause you know we can't offend family.

I hate being treated like a child while trying to make a decision.

March 4th, 2013, 07:35 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I was just thinking about this the other day. Even though I have a kid, I still feel like a young adult. I mean, I don't feel older because of it or see myself as more grown up. I think other people do though.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
That's too bad you have deal with the extra hassle, Caroline. I am treated as an adult by every one. Sometimes I wish I could be treated like a kid though.
March 5th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I'll trade with you Maggie. It actually got to the point yesterday that I looked at my DH and in my best whiny child voice told him that if they were going to treat me like a child I was going to act like one and see how they liked me then!

one.juniper (sorry, I don't think I know your name), maybe that's a better way to describe how I feel. It's not like they treat me like a little kid, but it's as though I'm still in my early 20's and need guidance on all my decisions because I don't know what I'm doing on my own.

My mom actually made a comment this past weekend, something about me being 40 in 20 years. I looked at her and laughed! After I told her to add that up again because I'd be in my mid 50s in 20 years she kinda looked sad and said that her "baby" was growing up.

March 5th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Oh my Caroline. That sucks. I don't like having to do things to avoid offending family. I only hope this gets better for you...I can't imagine it going worse!

Jess
March 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
I'm not really sure if I feel like a kid or an adult! I definitely don't feel as grown up as a lot of other people my own age, though.

I'm 31 and people call me "ma'am" a lot more now, which I hate.
March 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
LOL! Getting called "ma'am" isn't my idea of a good time either.

March 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I find I'm called "ma'am" if I have Cam with me lol.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search