Boys with Dolls

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 08:18 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alright, there are other moms with boys here and I need to know. Do you let your boys play with dolls? Would you let them if they asked?

DS sees his sisters playing with dolls all the time, so in order to save his sister's dolls from his little hands I bought him a doll that is for him. I also bought him a bath time doll that is wearing a pair of swim shorts and comes with a towel and a frog to play with. DH is not impressed. DS on the other hand is as happy as can be and carries his "baby" with him everywhere. Am I wrong letting him play with dolls?

This is the "baby" I got him:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40196302/

And this is the bath one:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playgro-...hBox=&addFacet=

March 13th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Bebe isn't even here yet and I already fully intend to get him at least one 'baby'. I am surprised that this still is an issue, but I know that dh would likely be a little put off by it as well. IMO, he can get over it.
There is nothing wrong with boys playing with dolls, experimenting with dress up clothes, liking the colour pink etc. I can't understand what the guy's fear is... Talking with my MIL, dh used to wear her jewelry and say "pretty boy, mommy?"

Would he have an issue with his girls playing with tonka trucks, or wanting to play in a stereotyped male gender role? not likely.

March 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Those are great toys! I will have no problem with Cam playing with dolls...he doesn't have sisters yet but I still would have no problem. DH played with his sister's dolls, and my nephew plays with my niece's dolls. My brother used to dress up in dresses with us and let us put makeup on him Its just a toy, something to use his imagination with. Hopefully your DH will come around.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 13th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks. DH grew up in a household that had very distinct lines of what boys should do and what girls should do. It's not really that I'm trying to avoid that, its more that DS was always walking around the house looking for a "baby" and if one of the girls left their dolls out he was all over it. Well the girls are into those expensive 18" dolls and DS makes a huge mess of their hair so I didn't want him playing with those.

DH keeps trying to give DS a puppy to carry around with him because he hates taking his son out in public with a doll. DS is having nothing to do with the puppy.

March 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM
just means he will one day be a good daddy

My sister collected those types of dolls...my mom was always giving her crap because she left them out

Jess
March 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son is 10 almost and he plays dolls and barbies with his sister sometimes. I don't have any problems with it, they like to play together. DH doesn't really like it, but he also believes in boys having nothing to do with anything "girly" In my opinion those dolls are cute!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

March 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I would totally let him play with dolls. I like the IKEA one you got him. When I was growing up they had a 'My Buddy' doll and boys played with him.
March 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks ladies. It's good to know I'm not alone in giving my son a doll.

March 13th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm sure you're far from the only one!

Jess
March 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My 4yo son plays with dolls, he doesn't have any of his own, but only because we have too many already. He also wears dress up dresses, wants his toes painted when his sister does, and let's her put play makeup on him!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search