March 18 - Canuck of the Week - Kalynn (crunchywannabe)

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Kalynn is our next COTW We will follow the below schedule, but Kalynn doesn't have to answer it on every day, it depends how much time she has

This is REALLY fun if you all ask questions. So please ask questions for Kalynn in this thread, that she will hopefully have time to get to by Friday.

Want to sign up or see the schedule? Have questions on how it works? Check it out here:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...nuck-week.html (Canuck of the Week)

MONDAY: Introduce yourself...pretty self explanatory but you can tell us as much as your comfortable about yourself, your loved ones, your job, etc.

TUESDAY: List 15 random facts about yourself. This is always a fun thing to do, and lets us get to learn more about your life that might not come up in a normal conversation

WEDNESDAY: Picture Day...if you have access to a camera, or already have pics on your computer, now is the time to show us your beautiful self, family, house, car, pets, etc. If you don't have personal pics, you can post pics you can find via Google and tell us about them and how they relate to you (example: my dream car, dream house, fantasy vacation, etc)

THURSDAY: Bucket List....make a list of 10-20 things you would like to do before you "kick the bucket"

FRIDAY: Question Friday....this is the day you'll get the chance to respond to all the questions that the ladies give you. If any questions come up that you don't feel comfortable answering, either state that, or PM the person asking to let them know you won't be answering, rather than ignoring it.

And......GO!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 18th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh man! I just typed out my whole long winded intro, and for some reason it didn't seem to post... will try again, but possibly will miss details. I'm a pretty open book so feel free to ask anything!

I'm Kalynn, I'm 24 and live in Southern MB. I grew up just outside a town of about 15000 with my parents and 2 younger brothers.

When I was a kid I attended week long summer camp every year. When I was old enough, I started volunteering my summers there. The summer I was 16 I met DH. He had come out on staff for a few weeks while on leave from the Army. I knew right away that I had a big crush on him! We started dating that following winter, and got married 1 year later!

When I moved to Winnipeg, I started college. I took Early Childhood Education, and with only about 6mo. to go before Grad I dropped out. DH was being deployed for the first time to Afghanistan, the stress of school mixed with that was not a good combo. I quickly learned that I could earn more money working as a nanny than in a daycare with my diploma, so I didn't see any value in completing the course at that time. Much to my mother's dismay, I still don't regret that decision.

I worked as a Nanny for several families over the years, some were wonderful and some were just plain awful! My last job was a nanny share with 2 families and 5 kids. I was with them for over 3.5 years until we moved to our new home. I still see them very regularly!

We bought our first home in a very economically depressed area. We moved for Dh's new career (federal law enforcement) but there are really no jobs available for me. I have spent the last year taking up hobbies like crafting, and gardening (in the summer). Other wise I spend my days with my kitty Snooki as a housewife living in the middle of nowhere! It can be very socially isolating, and I appreciate my 'online friends' a great deal!

We live on 50 acres. 10 are field, and 40 are bush. Our property was badly damaged last year during a freak snow storm in Oct. Dh will be taking parental leave this summer and spending much of it clearing away the underbrush and deadfall that are huge fire hazards. We were packed and ready to evac. at some points last year because the fires got so close... hoping for a wet year this year!

I am due May 21st with our first baby, a boy. We are really excited and feel pretty prepared for this baby! It was important for us to be settled, living in our house, and financially able to care for him before we got pregnant! I'm glad we waited until now, I can't even imagine where we'd be if we had started having kids right away!

So that's pretty much all I can think of right now. Please feel free to ask away, and I'll fill in any gaps as best as possible!

March 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
That's scary to hear about the fire threats!

What sort of crafting do you do?
Do you sew or knit?
Have you picked out names for your little guy?
How many kids would you like to have?
March 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Yay for little boys!

Have you lived in any other province?
Have you visited any others? Which is your favourite?
Have you travelled anywhere outside of Canada? Where?
Did you do any extra curricular activities in school?
Any favourite books?

Jess
March 18th, 2013, 03:19 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
What kind of gardening do you like to do?
If you could have any vacation you wanted, what would it be?
March 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
How close is the nearest convenience store?
Will you move again in the future do you think?
March 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
15 random facts about me:

1. I am 5'9 and the shortest person in my family
2. I own my own Wedding Planning business (but unfortunately this has been my last year doing that)
3. I am terrified I'm going to die from a wild animal attack
4. I would love to be a hippy, without the political ideals.
5. My name is Kalynn and I'm a Pinterest addict
6. I enjoy road trips more than any other kind of travel
7. I watch way too much TV
8. I write a week-daily blog at www.thecountrybumpkins.wordpress.com
9. I hate Math, but I love budgeting and working with spreadsheets and money math!
10. My family has attended the same Country Music Festival every year since I was 12
11. I love all kinds of live music and I go to concerts pretty regularly
12. We are hoping to eventually add a few more animals to our yard (chickens, sheep, horses)
13. Home decor isn't my strong suit, I have had others tell me what to paint my whole house!
14. I like warm weather, but I don't mind the cold either.
15. I am much better suited to country living than I ever was living in the city! I don't know how people in the city sleep, it's so loud!

March 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Tell us the top 3 types of things you pin!
Do you actually do things you pin?
What kind of wild animal?
What are your five favourite TV shows?
Do you do any shopping online?

Jess
March 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Picture day!!! I had so many I wanted to share with you that I ended up making collages... I know it makes the photos really small, so we'll see how this works out.. sorry in advance if this isn't a great viewing method!

Here are some shots of Dh and I. and I snuck in one of our kitty Snooki as well

Our house, and then some shots from around our yard, The house always looks so tiny, but it's really the perfect size for us it's about 1600 sq ft. We are on 49 acres and when we were hit with a bad snow storm last thanksgiving we had a lot of damage done to our yard and the trees. Dh is taking 4-9 months parental leave this summer, and will probably spend most of that time doing yard clean up.

These are some of our travel shots... I think you'll get a good sense of me when you see my bucket list tomorrow!

I think I mentioned that I love live music!!! I go to concerts and festivals regularly, here are some of the pictures I've taken... I'd say about 95% of who I've seen live have been country artists, but there is some rock mixed in there as well

Me about a month ago! Almost time for an updated photo!!

And finally these are some pictures from my baby shower last weekend! It was really wonderful!

March 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Oh my goodness!!! Look at that belly!!!! So stinkin cute! I love the words you've added, such a nice keepsake!

Holy! You've seen lots of concerts! Recommend a few to be seen.
What is your favourite part of being pregnant? Least favourite?

I'll ask about travel after I've seen your bucket list

Jess
March 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM
What was your favourite concert?
Who do you hope to see in the future?
March 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Fun pictures!

What was your favourite thing in Paris?
March 21st, 2013, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Bucket List:

-Become a Mommy (working on this!)
-Travel to Ireland
-Raise sheep or goats
-Build an amazing 'nature playground' in our back yard
-Travel to Iceland
-Swim at Bondi Beach (Sydney Australia)
-Learn to snowboard
-Earn income from blogging
-Raise chickens and sell eggs (small scale free run)
-Run a 5k, then possibly a 25k!
-Raise my children to love travel, take them on vacation every year
-Pay off our Mortgage (early!)
-Build our savings to support children through post secondary
-Meet the Royal Family (hug the Queen without getting be-headed)
-Travel to Dubai for a day
-Vacation in Cypress
-Tour a min. of 6 European countries in 1 vacation
-Write a book
-Do a horseback tour of the Scottish highlands
-Break my own horse

March 21st, 2013, 12:24 PM
What an interesting bucket list!

- Why Ireland/Iceland/Dubai etc.?
- Any other animals you would consider raising?
- When did you start riding horses?
- Do you know what the book you want to write would be about?
- Show us a picture of the Nature Playground you're thinking!

Jess
March 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM
Have you run in the past?
If so, how long have you been running?
March 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Have you considered raising alpacas?
March 21st, 2013, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm really busy tomorrow so I thought I'd answer your questions tonight! If you didn't get your questions in feel free to still ask and I'll get to them when I can!

What sort of crafting do you do? I scrapbook, make no sew tutus, sew a little and knit a little
Do you sew or knit?at a very novice level, but yes I do both
Have you picked out names for your little guy?Yes! Outside of any unforeseen circumstances Baby should be named Arthur Frank (frank is a family name) our back up name is Ole, (said oh-lee) which pays tribute to dh's icelandic heritage
How many kids would you like to have?probably 2 but maybe more if the first 2 go well
Have you lived in any other province?Nope, I've lived within 20 minutes of where I was born my whole life, until this past year when I moved about 3 hours away... still in MB
Have you visited any others? Which is your favourite?I've been coast to coast. My favorites are PEI and Cape Breton, NS
Have you travelled anywhere outside of Canada? Where? Yup. I go to the US weekly, plus a few vacations. I've also been to France, Switzerland and the Dominican Republic.
Did you do any extra curricular activities in school?In Jr. high I played volleyball, badminton, soccer, and ran track
Any favourite books?Lately I've been reading all kinds of 'self help' pregnancy, birth, and parenting lately, but also how to's regarding natural living (gardening, raising chickens).... My favorite fiction author is probably Jodi Picoult.
What kind of gardening do you like to do?Last year was my first year, so I grew some veggies, this year I'd like to add a couple flower beds
If you could have any vacation you wanted, what would it be?I think it would be a balance of touring historical sites and relaxing on the beach
How close is the nearest convenience store?About 15 minutes away, but it's hard to do any grocery shopping there because the cost is so high... We do buy milk and eggs there sometimes because we don't buy those things in the states
Will you move again in the future do you think?I doubt it... dh jokes that he's going to die in the first house we bought! We may move to another house in the same area, BUT not likely for a number of years
Tell us the top 3 types of things you pin! definitely food, crafts and baby/kid stuff
Do you actually do things you pin?yes, I have a whole board dedicated to Pin's I've completed
What kind of wild animal?Cougars specifically, but wolves, bears etc etc
What are your five favourite TV shows?The Amazing Race, Homeland, Downton Abbey, How I Met Your Mother, and Gilmore Girls (even though it doesn't air anymore)
Do you do any shopping online?Yes, lots! It's much more convenient because we are about 2 hours from a store that has anything of use to us... I also love all of the discount sites/email subscriptions (Zulily, baby half off etc)
Holy! You've seen lots of concerts! Recommend a few to be seen.Recently the best concert I've seen was Zac Brown Band. I always enjoy Great Big Sea live, and The Trews!
What is your favourite part of being pregnant? Least favourite?I love the anticipation! I'm having a baby, and he's gonna look like either me or dh, and we get to be parents. I'm not digging the scares, and the unknown. lately I've been feeling the effects of a growing belly on my body-sore back, heartburn, etc.
What was your favourite concert?I also really liked Big and Rich live. I haven't seen many artists live that I didn't like really
Who do you hope to see in the future?I'd like to see Dolly Parton, but mostly I wish I could have lived to see Johnny Cash, Elvis etc in concert
What was your favourite thing in Paris?I enjoyed just wandering around the city, through different parks and seeing the sights. There is just something so awesome about eating crepes from the carts and walking around such a cool city
- Why Ireland/Iceland/Dubai etc.?Ireland because it looks beautiful and it's english speaking, Iceland to discover more about dh's heritage, and it looks amazing, Dubai because Dh was able to visit there, and I'd love to see a city with such a tourism mentality (skiing indoors, scuba diving in the mall's aquarium etc tallest building, he says it's VERY humid, and the laws are so strict he wouldn't go for longer than a day or two
- Any other animals you would consider raising?Not really... maybe a cow or two, just for milk or meat, but I think chickens, horses, and either goat or sheep would be lots to care for!
- When did you start riding horses?as a kid attending camp. it wasn't until I was on staff there that I learned more about 'how to' ride, and care for horses
- Do you know what the book you want to write would be about?Either a children's book, or some kind of memoir, but my life hasn't been interesting enough for that yet!
- Show us a picture of the Nature Playground you're thinking! I'd love to have something like this:
Have you run in the past?I ran track and did quite well in jr high. I had knee surgery my first year of highschool, so unfortunately I haven't been able to do much as of late... It would be a couch to 25k program to get me up and going for sure
If so, how long have you been running?I haven't done much at all in the past 10 years!
Jessimaaka likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 07:22 PM
Love this! I loved getting to know you better!

Jess
March 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Cool! I loved getting to know more about you!
March 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Just catching up !! Love the nature park !!

Tags
cotw

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search