Spin Off: Cell Phones

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 10:39 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So we talked about when our kids would get one, but when did you get your first cell phone?

They just weren't available when I was a kid and when they did become available they were those huge bag phones that plugged into the car. They were so expensive that we only had one to share with the family, whoever was driving the furthest away from home was the person who got the phone that day.

The first phone that was my personal phone my husband bought me after we got married, before that I just shared with my parents. I was 24 or 25.

March 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i got one when i moved out of my parents house and started college, i was 18. They were available when i was young, i think i was 8 or 9 when my parents got their cell phone, looking back it was a pretty big monster phone LOL

March 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
My dad owned a limousine company, and all the cars had phones in them given the changing nature of the business. So depending, there may have been extra phones from time to time. So I got to use one as my personal phone for a while (about grade 9/10ish?); it was paid for as part of the corporate plan. By grade 11 I had my own - so about 16 years old. I had a job and paid for it myself (it was prepaid). I was pretty lucky and that is not the norm lol.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was 14. It was a christmas gift, and my parents paid for it most of the time but as I recall I also bought some of the prepaid minutes.... I think it was a huge waste! I had nobody to call, and I rarely went out until I had my drivers licence, so why would I have needed a cell phone.

Once I had my licence texting became the newest big thing and by the time I was 15 or 16 EVERYONE had a cell and was texting! I am happy I had it after I was driving because there was more than one occasion where I needed to call for a tow, or help or directions or something.

More recently I lived with my blackberry (although in hindsight I should have immediately gone with the Iphone) attached to my hip. I slept with it next to my bed, and literally would wake up and check messages, fb, twitter and news feeds before getting up for the day. It was probably one of the most annoying habits I couldn't break.

When we moved I had to get rid of the cell. There are no cell towers in our area, so that means no service for almost an hour's drive. I am nervous about my kids being out without phones, and I don't like driving at night without one, but that's just the way it is

March 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
helios's Avatar Veteran
I got my first cell phone about 4 years ago!

I resisted getting one because it seemed frivolous but now I have an iPhone and love it, heh.
March 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
I love my blackberry...I wish I had held out and waited for the new one though.

Further spinoff...what kind was your first cell phone? This was my first one (not the one my parents paid for) http://www.canadatop.com/uploads/tel...ility_2165.jpg

Jess
March 21st, 2013, 04:22 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I was 15 and it was a huge brick phone that wasn't even texting enabled
March 21st, 2013, 06:26 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I was 22 or thereabouts. It was a pay as you go Samsung. I had it for years. I think I am only on my 3rd actual cell phone.
March 21st, 2013, 06:43 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is the first one I borrowed from my parents and used. I can't seem to find a picture of the first one that DH bought me.

http://new.4-hcurriculum.org/project...cell_phone.jpg

Now, does anyone remember this one? This is the first one we got as a family. It was large, heavy and had to be plugged into the car in order to work.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-giXAZllSo0...-bag-phone.jpg

March 21st, 2013, 06:50 PM
Hahaha!!!! That is so oldschool! Love it!!!

Jess
March 22nd, 2013, 05:13 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Me and my BF (DH now) went and got our first cell phones when we were 19 and living on our own! We had contracts from Telus! lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

March 22nd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Caroline yes!!!! I remember those phones! My dad had one in the van (again because of the limousine company)!!!!

My first phone was from Telus as well We're with Rogers now though.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search