Buyer Beware?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
So we got a second infant carrier and base from a friend. It was manufactured in 2007 and therefore expires December 2013. So I've got it on kijiji for cheap if someone wants it for 8 months.

I was looking through the ads, and I saw like three or four that noted manufacturers' dates of 2005/2006. The new 8 year expiry is a relatively new thing and not for all seats, so I'm pretty sure those won't expire 8 years from then. The ads specifically don't note the actual expiry date, and have the seats listed for more than mine.

Is this fair? It is a case of buyer beware? I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot showing the actual expiry date (its one of my images). I also have the manufacturers' date in my ad, but will people put 2 and 2 together?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
From what I've seen people are generally ignorant about car seat safety. I personally would never purchase any seat second hand unless I was in dire straits because even with knowing the expiration dates etc, you can never be sure it hasn't been involved in even a minor accident. Any car seats in the vehicle whether in use or not should be replaced after even a minor fender bender (the seller may have claimed it with their insurance, gotten a new seat, and wanted to make a buck instead of just destroying their old seat)

That said, an informed buyer who, for whatever reason is forced to buy a used seat will want to know the information you posted. It would be imo negligent to buy any seat without this info!
Kelz88 likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I personally wouldn't buy one used either and the one I got from my friend - she's even more of a carseat nazi that I am, so I trust her, and she's one of my really really good friends - I know it wasn't in an accident with her and we were never in an accident either. I just feel like its not fair that these other people are selling them when they're no good and I hate to imagine them using them and having issues because they're expired.

Jess
March 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I think you can report ads like that cant you?

March 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I've only ever reported someone who emailed me with a scam...I'll have to see! I just don't want an infant being injured when its easily preventable.

Jess
March 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i dont use kijiji too often so im not sure, but i would think there should be some way to report that stuff. I dont think its legal to sell and expired seat so whether they know it or not its a big no no

its too bad that so many people are not more informed about car seat safety, some mom who is short on cash could scoop up that "deal" without knowing how unsafe it is for her baby

March 26th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I was able to report the ad. There were several options, and I picked other, and got to explain the reason. I hope it gets yanked.

I agree. I was very clear in my ad that its only good till December, but that it is in perfect condition.

Jess
March 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I've used a second hand carseat, but only because it came from a friend and I knew it had never been damaged. I certainly would never use an expired one! I'm sure you must be able to report that!
March 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I bought a used one on kijiji that we are using now. It expires in December 2013 and the expiry date was posted in the ad.
March 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought there was a law passed last year when the new standards for car seats came out that it is now illegal to sell, give away or even to lend out car seats that were made before 2012 regardless of expiry date. If you are the original owner you can continue to use then until expiry but no one else can.

March 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I went and looked (mainly because I don't want to get in trouble...I also took down my ad regardless and am going to cut the straps and remove the covering - I'm all freaked out now lol)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...y-faq-1131.htm

Quote:
It is important to note that if you own a car seat or booster seat made before January 1, 2012, under Health Canada's Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, you may not be able to advertise, sell, or give it (including lending) away because it may not meet the latest requirements set out by Health Canada.
I put the emphasis on the word "may"...I was reading in forums etc. and the consensus is if they meet the new standards, there's no issue, hence the word "may". I don't have the energy to double check if mine still does (I'd honestly be surprised if it didn't but I digress...), so I just am not going to sell mine so I can't get in trouble, or feel guilty. Its not worth the $25 to me!

Jess
March 27th, 2013, 05:51 AM
And just for those that are interested, here are the changes as of 1/1/2012:

Updated Car Seat Regulations for 2012

Jess
March 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks for finding it. I thought I had heard something about it but I didn't have the time last night to look it up.

March 27th, 2013, 06:52 AM
It was a good exercise for me this morning. I had lunch with a friend yesterday about a possible different department to go back to work at, and it was almost like a mini interview, and I realized how out of it I am...and I could do lots of research in two of the potential roles.

Jess
March 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Oh how exciting! I hope something good comes of it!

March 27th, 2013, 05:35 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
It's not like that ones may prior to that date were crap so I won't worry about it.
March 27th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Nope, I agree Canada has always had high standards for car seats. I know my old (made 10 years ago for my first dd) one worked just fine. It saved my DD's life when I crashed, the officer who attended the scene even complimented me on how well she was strapped in there.

I just don't want to see anyone I know (even if it is just online) get in trouble because of the new regulations.

March 28th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I just didn't want to get a fine or something when I didn't know. But they definitely didn't make it easy to find out...that was a good half an hour of googling and clicking links and reading forum threads...but now I'm sorted

But I still reported that ad, not so someone could get in trouble, but its not fair to basically prey on lower-income people that maybe can't afford a carseat, or someone that wants to pick up an extra for a 2nd vehicle or grandparents etc.

Jess
March 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM
you can probably report this to the better business bureau

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search