~*~April Chat Thread~*~

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 04:49 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Really? Dance is cheaper?! That makes me excited! We just did our taxes and after adding up what I spent on DD1 alone for ringette this year I was thinking of all the other things could have bought with that money.

Congratulations to your DD!

We have the same temps here today, humidex today and then on Saturday there's a windchill! I don't understand this weather.

April 18th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
And for once our weather is good, SUN !! maybe this snow will melt before May

I am taking 2 to the dentist today DD#1 for a cleaning and DS#2 because he has holes in his teeth 2!!! The milk he is on has 0% calcium so we have been supplementing but maybe its not working

April 18th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Welcome to April in Canada...wild swings everywhere!

Oh my Chrystal! Hope they can figure that out, it sounds scary!!!

Just hanging out in the car...Cam didn't nap before Babytime, so I'm sitting in the car outside the mall waiting for him to wakeup!

Welcome to April in Canada...wild swings everywhere!

Oh my Chrystal! Hope they can figure that out, it sounds scary!!!

Just hanging out in the car...Cam didn't nap before Babytime, so I'm sitting in the car outside the mall waiting for him to wakeup!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Good luck at the dentist!

Dance and hockey cost about the same here, as far as actual costs (equipment and registration), but hockey is a lot more traveling for sure. Alyssa's dance teacher is really pushing us to let her go competitive though, which I think is great (I danced competitive for 8 of my 14 years dancing), however it's over an hour to the nearest competitive studio, and would be 2-3 times/week, plus traveling for competitions!

Our weather is really nice here today again! Finally!
April 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Wholly crow! I know this won't fit DD2, but this is used. At this rate there is no way dance will be less than ringette! This one dress alone costs the same amount as the whole season of ringette and then some!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ459183457

The school contacted me today though and has invited DD2 out for a "try me" class so she can see if this is something she likes before I spend the money one it. All I need to find her is a bodysuit with skirt and a pair of ballet slippers for the class.

Good luck at the dentist Chrystal.

April 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Dentist was interesting Thank god we have insurance !! Rogan has 6 cavities they are mostly surface but they are going to put sealants on the back molars. They don't think it is a lack in calcium but the coconut milk sitting on his teeth(it is a bit thicker than milk). So today was pretty cheap but the bill when we get the work done is .......$1369.00

Here for dance we rent our dresses from the teacher for competitions and things. So that would keep the price down some.

April 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yikes! That's some bill!

I'll have to find out how it works here, renting would definitely be better than paying that kind of money every time she grows out of a dress.

April 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I was going to say usually there's hand me downs from others at the studio but renting is also a great idea. $975 is insane!

Just watched the sky DUMP on us!!! So glad it didn't do it earlier this afternoon when I was outside!

Jess
April 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I agree! I'm hoping for some hand me downs if she gets into this. Ringette does an equipment exchange each fall, possibly the dance studio will do something similar.

I'm waiting to get dumped on too. It went from sunny to so dark we need lights in about 5 minutes.

April 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
miserable weather here too

April 18th, 2013, 07:19 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Congrats to your DD1 - Chrystal! Yep, dentists aren't cheap.

We have had the crazy raining here too.

Exams are done. They were pretty easy. I won't start looking for a job until mid-June since my mat leave goes until August 1. I always figure it takes about 6 weeks to get a job.

The guy will start on the fence on Monday- woo hoo!
April 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Wow, that dance costume is ridiculous! It costs us about $200/year for Alyssa's costume (she needs two, one for tap and jazz and one for ballet) plus another $100ish for her shoes, and then whatever we spend on practice clothing. But that price is for custom, hand sewn costumes!
April 19th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I did a search in my area, and there were several higher priced ones like that one and then some nice ones under $50 so its possible to find them...and I'm sure if she's in a group (vs a solo) they will have reasonable options for you. I used to do the books at my studio and we were very conscious of monetary limitations...especially in groups, someone shouldn't be excluded because they choose outrageous costumes.

I'm jealous you're getting a fence Maggie! We were supposed to get ours last year, but our neighbours ended up moving in May. So we talked with the new neighbours and they want a fence too and we just never did it last year what with Cam being born in August. So its WILL be done this year! Hopefully in the next month or two.

Jess
April 19th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I want my house to sell! Sorry just needed to get that out.

I'm having a hard time getting my hands on something she can wear next week for her try me lesson. I really don't want to have to go buy all new stuff if I can help it because I know she'll grow over the summer and it won't fit in the fall.

Yay for being done exams!!!

April 19th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I hope it sells soon too!

You should be able to send her in anything she can move easily in, even like regular tights and a t-shirt. Although I can understand she'd probably like to be dressed "professionally". Have you tried looking at Winners?

Jess
April 19th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I've responded to a couple of kijiji ads, and I have my mom going to some thrift stores today for me. If no one gets back to me and mom can't find anything then I'll start going to winners and such to try to find something.

April 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
hopefully you can find someone cheaper caroline!

April 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Well, my mom was at Talize this morning and found two outfits for her, now I just need the shoes. I also had a lady from kijiji respond to me so if DD2 enjoys herself I'll go get one from her too then I'll have some sizes and styles for her to choose from for practices. Not bad prices for practice outfits, at least I don't think they are, $15/bodysuit and skirt set.

Hope everyone is having a good day, it's a rainy PA Day here, so I have 4 bored kids all stuck inside. I just sat them all down with snacks and put in Rise of the Guardians.

April 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM
glad you found some, 15 for an outfit sounds reasonable to me too

im trying to decide if i should put Ross (almost 3) into a formal class or not this year. We did a mommy and me gym class about a year ago, he had fun but didnt really get anything out of it. But i have no idea what he should do that he would enjoy and participate in

April 19th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Around here everything for 3 year olds is for parent and tot. It wasn't until my kids hit 5 that they could do a class on their own without me. I hope you can find something for him. I know my nephews have always played Blast Ball, at that age and loved it. It's like t-ball but with only one base that honks when it's jumped on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search