Snacks

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MindyRambo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know most of us in the chit chat thread said we would like to loose weight, so tell me what are your favourite healthy snacks?

Do your kids have favourite healthy snacks?

I need new ideas for both myself and my afterschool daycare kids.

April 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmmm, I'm a big fan of mixed berries, kids tend to love them, and paired with Jello Chocolate or Vanilla pudding cups (the no sugar added, 60 calorie ones) they are super fun. You can dip them, or however you want. So that with the berries is a great snack for under a hundred calories. and the actual jello no sugar added cups are only 5 calories!

I love cut up veggie with those little individual dips.

Someplaces they are expensive, but have you ever tried turkey or chicken bites? They are like pepperettes, but only 50 calories each.

Little laughing cow cheeses are great alone or spread on crackers, very low cal.

Dill pickles are always great.

Pita bread and hummus.

Will try to think of more
Countrymom4 likes this.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
April 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We love fresh fruit of just about any kind, raw veggies dipped in low cal dressing. Yogurt and granola. Homemade granola bars, trail mix, and energy balls are big hits here too. Baked banana chips.
April 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Love the ideas !!

I usually try not to snack but for the kids, Homemade muffins(whole wheat no oil), apple sauce, fruit.... will have to think.

Thank You tasha_mae

April 4th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Apples and peanut butter
Ants on a log (celery, peanut butter and raisins)
Dry cereal
Smoothies (plain greek yogurt and berries)
Crackers and cheese

I'm getting hungry reading this!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 4th, 2013, 04:57 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Fruit or yogurt.

When we were kids my mother would give us boxes of raisins or those sesame snaps.
April 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I generally just do either cut up fruit, popcorn or cheese and crackers for the kids. They're getting bored with it, that's why I needed idea.

I'm an evening snacker. I really need to find some to do with my hands while I watch TV. I was knitting but I packed up my yarn and needles, what a dumb move that was, now I eat.

April 5th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I eat a lot of snacks but I also eat smaller portioned meals to help make up for it since I've tried not snacking and it just doesn't work for me

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 5th, 2013, 07:47 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Same here, I would much rather have smaller meals with lots of snacks that big meals with no snacking... Impossible for me!

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
April 5th, 2013, 07:58 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
^I'm a snacker too.

The other day I made us smoothies with yogurt and lots of frozen fruit. There was so much frozen fruit it turned into a kind of sorbet, and we ate it with spoons! So good! I'm going to start doing it more often. Would make a good dessert, too.

We also do a lot of hummus with veggies. Hummus is super easy to make and my son loves it. You can buy the premade stuff at the grocery store, but it tends to be very oily.
April 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM
If anyone wishes to share their recipes for homemade snacks like the granola bars or humus I'd happily try them out on my kids! I look through hundreds of recipes on line and never know which ones are worth trying and which ones are garbage.

April 5th, 2013, 11:10 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
For hummus I just eyeball it mostly, but I can give you a basic breakdown:

I can of chickpeas, drained (but save some of the water to make blending easier)
Juice of one lemon
1 clove of garlic
Tahini (~3 tbsp)
cumin (~1 tsp)
Paprika to sprinkle on top
Olive oil (1 tbsp) (optional)

-puree chickpeas, lemon, and olive oil, adding some of the reserved canning water if you need more liquid to blend smoothly (I find it take at least 2 tbsps)
-stir tahini, cumin, and finely minced garlic into the chickpea puree.
-Sprinkle paprika on top and eat!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search