Buying 'Local'

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any favorite "local" or Canadian owned and operated companies that you like to buy from?

Lately I've been really loving buying from http://www.tinytreehuggerdiapers.com/ they are here in MB and sell all sorts of baby goodies (from other companies)

I also have bought a few AMP diapers, (made in Winnipeg) and AppleCheeks diapers (made in BC I believe)

I really love to buy things like jewelry and other crafts from vendors at farmers markets and craft sales.

What do you prefer to buy/where do you shop locally? (Canada Wide?)

April 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I'm getting maple syrup this weekend!

My mom buys Cam handmade wood toys, locally made, but other than that, not a lot. The LittleEcoFootprint link I posted last week has a bunch of Canadian products on it. I will get to try a bunch of them soon
crunchywannabe likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I buy a lot of locally grown food, and a lot of handmade items that are made locally. But other than that, not as much as I should.
April 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really wish it was easier for us to find local food! Our area does have a farmers market, but it's very small (usually 3-4 vendors) and not much to sell week to week. This year I'm hoping to get 1/4 local grass fed cow! we'll see!

April 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I buy locally grown food when I'm able to, and I prefer buying meats that come from a farm not too far from here where they grow the animals ethically and sustainably. It's better for our health and better for the environment.

If I could I'd buy everything local.
April 5th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Super Mommy
I buy my meat from the local meat market unless its on sale at sobeys. The food scare we had from XL turn me off of non local meat.
April 5th, 2013, 08:04 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Only with food.

I get most of my veggies from my Mom's garden. I love to buy my meat from my Mom's neighbour as often as I can afford it, but if we're pinched during the week, then it has to come from the grocery store. I get my eggs from the farm down the street from my Mom, so much better and actually less expensive than the grocery store. Fruit I buy locally in the summer, whatever I can find at roadside stands.

April 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I try my best. I grow a lot of vegetables and we buy some of our meat through a CSA.

I live in Central Ontario very close to Holland Marsh where a LOT of vegetables consumed in Ontario come from. The Niagara region is also within my regional food shed so I don't have to think too hard about buying food locally as long as it says Ontario.

With regard to consumer goods I don't pay quite as much attention. I tend to buy a lot of things second hand so the money does stay within my local region even though it may have been manufactured elsewhere.

I do tend to buy Canadian if the option is there.
April 5th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Food wise we use our own beef and grow our own garden. We just ran out of potatoes this last week But I also was feeding 2 extra guys dinners all winter.

clothing we don't have a lot of options, we have a walmart and that's about all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search