Vehicles

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2013, 07:51 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do have more than one vehicle in your family?

Do you and your DH share the vehicles or is one yours and one his? I don't mean just names on paperwork, but say you have a car and a truck, and even though you mainly drive the car, if your husband wanted the car for a day or you wanted the truck for the day would you switch?

April 6th, 2013, 08:30 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We have a van that is "ours" and a car that is "mine". We had the van first, so that's why we call it ours, because it was ours when it was our only vehicle. But then I started traveling for work and we needed something else. Since we mainly bought the car because I needed it, we just started calling it mine. However, if we're both home and he's going somewhere alone or with a couple of the kids, he takes the car. Or if I'm going somewhere and taking all of the kids, I take the van.
April 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
We have a Suburban, a car and a truck.

We use what ever vehicle we need at the time, Family usually the suburban. Driving by yourself or a couple kids the car. truck usually is only used around the farm.

April 6th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We currently have a car and 2 trucks... but we are in the process of selling the old one. If we are ever 'together' Dh drives whatever vehicle. But traditionally the Car is mine, and the truck is his.... I still have not driven his new truck.... mostly because it's still a new truck, I'd drive the old one every so often.

April 6th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
no, we just have 1 vehicle, its a pain in the butt, Dh takes it to work so almost everyday the kids and I are stuck without a car, so we have to take the Bus or walk, i really hate the bus, so im excited to have the warm weather again, most of where we want to go is within walking distance

April 6th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
We have the jeep and the truck. The jeep is mine, I've had it since I lived at home, paid it off before I even moved in with him. Its all done up with Betty Boop on the inside so he rarely drives it

DH has been through like 10 vehicles in 10 years. He finally bit the bullet last year, got a car loan and we got a nice 2010 Dodge Ram. Its his, but since I park my Jeep in the garage, if I'm just running out by myself, I'll take it.

He drives if we go out together as a family, and we usually take his truck.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 6th, 2013, 06:06 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
We have one car. It took me a while to be comfortable using it since I was a confirmed pedestrian/transit user.
April 6th, 2013, 07:50 PM
So I got the responses I was kind of expecting. We also have 2, a van and a car. The van is in DH's name, the car was bought for me and in my name. However since I have the kids, ringette equipment and groceries I drive the van most often and DH drives the car back and forth to work. But if we're going out as a family DH drives the van and if I'm going out by myself I drive the car.

But this is why I asked. My inlaws have a Jeep and a truck. The Jeep is my FIL's and the truck is my MIL's. FIL is not allowed to drive the truck and MIL doesn't drive the Jeep. If they go somewhere together, and want the truck MIL drives, in the Jeep FIL drives. End of story. Well, FIL's sister asked if he would drive her, her DH and her 2 kids to the airport, but they wouldn't all fit in the Jeep with their luggage, so FIL would have to take the truck which is a crew cab and seats 6. FIL wasn't able to just give her a straight answer, he had to practically beg MIL to take her truck for the day and she initially said no! She didn't want him to drive it because he might get it dirty, or what if it got scratched with the luggage! I was in shock, it would never occur to me to tell my DH that he wasn't allowed to drive whichever vehicle he wanted to use that day.

April 6th, 2013, 08:11 PM
That's funny!!!! Why are people so set in their way??? When DH was going through all his crappy vehicles (ie before we got the nice truck), he usually drove my Jeep when we went somewhere together, even though it is "Booped Out" (as he calls it haha).

Its interesting the dynamics of other generations' relationships though, that may have played into it too.

Jess
April 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a van and a truck, the van is "mine" and the truck is "dh". I drive the truck if I have to, but I much prefer the van. Dh will grab the van if he just has to run to town to get something little or to drop of kids, but he prefers his truck.

That's so...different that they don't share vehicles.
April 7th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's odd. They're both in their 50's so they aren't that old. My dad is almost 70 and he and Mom switch vehicles all the time depending on what they need that day. I really think it's just the way my MIL is. What's hers is hers and no one else can touch it.

April 8th, 2013, 05:34 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have one car, I don't drive!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 8th, 2013, 06:13 AM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
That is a different situation -- sounds like something my in-laws would do.

Anyway, we have two cars. DH's is a small diesel station wagon. I drive a bigger AWD 7 seat CUV -- fits four kids and hockey bags. DH uses his to commute because it is more fuel efficient (and I need mine to carry all the kids and their equipment.). If I want, I can take DHs but because it is diesel and standard, there are special steps you have to follow and I would probably do something wrong.
April 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM
DH wanted a standard, but because I don't know how to drive one, he settled for an automatic lol. I tried learning as a teenager, but I wasn't good at it. I'd like to try learning again, but I don't know anyone with a standard vehicle.

Jess
April 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
That's so strange about your inlaws, Caroline!

We have a car and a truck, although the truck is my DPs company owned work vehicle, so I guess technically we just own the one car. The car is "mine" but on the weekends DP drives it sometimes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search