Passports

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Do you have one ?

All of our expire at different time(real pain) so I renewed 4 so that they are 2 due at each time, because of the kids expire sooner than the adults. I sent them all away at the same time. We will get one a week back

Thank You tasha_mae

April 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I cross on almost a weekly basis (sometimes more) so having a passport is a must! I didn't get my first one until we did a family trip to the Dominican in 2008... since then I've traveled to Europe, and now the states quite frequently.

Mine expired at the end of January, so I was actually crossing with a photocopy of mine and my birth cert. for a few weeks, waiting to get it back.
Starting in July there is a 10 year renewal, not the 5 year... I was a little disappointed that it doesn't start for a few months, because renewing is a huge pain.

Children don't actually need a passport to cross by land... but by air/boat they would.

April 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
DH and I have one. I've only used mine to go to the Dominican on our honeymoon, while DH has been to the States and Europe. Cam does not have one. I still have to send away for his long form birth certificate since I didn't bother getting it when he was born since I didn't think I needed it (kinda like the long form marriage certificate lol).

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I was hoping I would get the 10 year also . Usually we fly down to my SIL's so the kids need them for that. Now that I think of it we have never drove across with kids.

Thank You tasha_mae

April 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
DH and I have them, but the kids don't. Since we always cross by land, we don't need them.
April 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Mine expires 8/14. That is fantastic that they are doing a ten-year! Woo hoo. I already lost Theo's birth certificate - I will get all of that done for him when we need to go out of country.
April 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Dh and I have them, the kids dont though. Im not sure when mine expires, i should probably check on that soon, i want to say its sometime next year

April 6th, 2013, 06:25 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We all have one. We just got them last year to go to Florida. I know the kids don't really need one, but we got it for them so we could sneak in with the short birth certificate instead of having to send away and pay for the long copy. As long as we keep them renewed we won't need to spend that extra money.

April 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Everyone should note that ideally your passport should be renewed 6months PRIOR to it's expiry date! Your passport is your 'travel visa' for entering the US, legally you can 'vacation' for up to 6mo... but over that you need to go home or apply for other documents... technically you can be refused entry if your passport expired less than 6 months from when you are trying to cross.

April 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm in the process of getting them for 4 of my kids (my oldest already has one). I just discovered that they need proof of parentage, so I just sent away for 4 new birth certificates that show that (I only have the credit card sized ones), spent $185. Apparently I didn't fill in my middle name on my youngest girls' birth certificate so they have to amend it (another $20) and it could take however long. After I get that done, I'll be able to go and apply for their passports. It's definetly not cheap this way, and I'll have to see if they're all done before the middle of July.

Wish I'd known about the birth certificates, I would have done that ages ago.
April 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Wow, that sounds like a pain! I hope it gets sorted out quickly!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 8th, 2013, 04:35 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No passports here, we've never been anywhere! :O

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 8th, 2013, 04:56 AM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5in2005 View Post
I'm in the process of getting them for 4 of my kids (my oldest already has one). I just discovered that they need proof of parentage, so I just sent away for 4 new birth certificates that show that (I only have the credit card sized ones), spent $185. Apparently I didn't fill in my middle name on my youngest girls' birth certificate so they have to amend it (another $20) and it could take however long. After I get that done, I'll be able to go and apply for their passports. It's definetly not cheap this way, and I'll have to see if they're all done before the middle of July.

Wish I'd known about the birth certificates, I would have done that ages ago.
I am in the same boat. Had long form birth cents for two of my kids already so was able to get theirs right away. The other two, I only had short forms so I have to get them long forms and because they are over 8 I have to get a signing authority or whatever to apply.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search