Wills

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The life insurance thread got me thinking about wills. Do you guys have one? Did you use a do it yourself kit or go through a lawyer? Is it a generic, split everything between your kids or did you specify certain things to certain people?

DH and I have one, but it was done while I was still preggy with DD1. It's pretty generic and everything is listed to be split between "any possible future children". We're planning on going back to the lawyer after we move and updating it. There just seems to be so much to think about, especially when it comes to care of the children.

April 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Do you guys have one? YES

Did you use a do it yourself kit or go through a lawyer? A lawyer
Is it a generic, split everything between your kids or did you specify certain things to certain people? If DH goes 1st everything to me and vise versa. If both of us die then everything depends on the age of the kids. If someone wants the farm or not.

April 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
No. We need them BADLY.

It would be pretty simple, but I am scared to use a kit just in case! We'll go to a lawyer.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 13th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH does. I dont.

I think we'll hire a lawyer and get them updated/made once baby is here! We are kinda stuck when it comes to naming guardians though... There isn't as much a clear cut answer. I'm not sure what we'll do.

April 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
we dont have one, i have been telling DH since R was born that we need to do one. We will likely see a lawyer when we do it. And probably go with the generic my spouse gets everything if they arent dead and our kids split it when we both kick the bucket

we know who we want to take our kids should we both die while they are young, but we havent asked them yet.... we need to do that too

April 13th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
we dont have one, i have been telling DH since R was born that we need to do one. We will likely see a lawyer when we do it. And probably go with the generic my spouse gets everything if they arent dead and our kids split it when we both kick the bucket

we know who we want to take our kids should we both die while they are young, but we havent asked them yet.... we need to do that too
Hahahaha, that's all we need ours to say too!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Our problem is the guardian thing, and it's the main reason we have to change ours. The problem is that DH and I don't agree on who we should ask to take the kids. He's too worried about offending people who we don't ask and I'm more concerned with finding someone I know will love and care for our kids.

April 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I haven't got one yet. That is something I will do at 40.
April 14th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have one made by a lawyer. My brother and sil will have our children, and he is our power of attorney so he can take the funds that he feels he needs. (for housing and vehicles etc, adding 5 to a family is a lot). The rest will go to the kids, whatever that is.
April 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magz88 View Post
I haven't got one yet. That is something I will do at 40.
LOL! I love how 40 is your magic number for needing one!

April 14th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
lol waiting til 40 would cause me to die from anxiety before then... Dh is making me wait until baby is born and I'm convinced that there is an increased likely hood of either of us dying between now and then because of it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search