Dual Citizen's babies' possibly not Canadian!

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So this was super interesting information that I came across that may only be a problem specific to our area, but wondered what you might think about it.

So where we are it is VERY uncommon for pregnant women to seek care in Canada. There are no nearby hospitals etc so Manitoba Health covers you to cross the border to the nearest USA hospital, and deliver there.

By birth these babies are now Dual Citizens. They technically are American because of where they are born, and Canadian because of their parent's citizenship. As a result I would say the MAJORITY of people in our area (a grand total of 1600 in our entier RM) are "Dualies".

Now say these babies grow up and stay in the area, and have babies, at the hospital closest to us. Based on the Canadian law, even if that baby only spends the first 24 hours of life in the US and never returns they would only have permanent resident status in Canada, and not citizenship! They would then have to enter the same process to gain citizenship as an immigrant coming from over seas.

We are the exception, because we are choosing to drive over an hour each way for prenatal care and for delivery, but it is not common in this area to do that. Our child will not have any American or Dual citizenship... making them the odd duck .

Just thought I'd share, because I found this to be very interesting.

April 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Hmm, that's very interesting! That's kinda crazy when you think about it!

My mom has dual citizenship with France, as my grandfather was stationed there and its where she happened to be born.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are a few countries that I've heard of that are now asking dualies to choose their citizenship... I believe Germany may be this way. My uncle had dual citizenship because he was born while my grandparents were posted in Germany. At some point he had to either become a 'fully' german citizen or give it up... so he chose to give it up as his whole life has been in Canada. (outside of travel etc)

April 20th, 2013, 12:44 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
That is very interesting!

Sidenote, I had to travel over an hour for prenatal care/delivery too, but for me it was because we live in the middle of nowhere
April 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I couldn't imagine going that far! The hospital is 10 min from me, and DH got there in less time when I was in labour!

What happens when a woman is in labour and needs to cross the border? What if she has super quick labours? I never thought about this before!

Jess
April 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Between the hours of 8am-12am the drive would only be about 10 minutes...to the states. The customs officers are used to it, although honestly from what I've been told, the vast majority are induced on or before their due date at that hospital (part of the reason I'm willing to drive an hour to stay in Canada) so they don't get a ton of. Between midnight and 8 am the closest crossing is closed, if it were an emergency the Ambulance comes up and they have a key to the gate...and you'd get phoned in to the next crossing or you can drive around through the next crossing over (24hrs) and it takes about an hour.

We are 1 hour from the closest Canadian hospital. I'm not too worried... we talked about a home birth but are too far away from the Midwife, and Cdn. hospital. If we had an accidental home birth, I wouldn't be too upset about it though

April 21st, 2013, 04:47 AM
That's pretty crazy! You're almost full term!!!!!!!!!!!

Jess
April 21st, 2013, 05:09 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How far away you are from a hospital is scary to me! Then again 20 min seem to far away for me when I was in labour and trying to get there.

I actually knew about the the dual citizen thing and it actually makes sense to me. If the parents are both full Canadian and child is born in US then child is dual, but if the parents are dual and the child is born in the US then the child is American not dual, if the parents are dual and the child is born in Canada the child would be Canadian not dual. When you have dual parents the citizenship of the child sides where they are born, not what the parents are. It comes down to being a 75/25 thing instead of a 50/50 thing and citizenship goes to the majority.

It helps that my BIL and SIL went through figuring this out before having their kids. It was slightly different situation, but they found out all the laws while they were at it.

April 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I guess the problem that they were running into before changing the law was that you'd find 3rd or 4th generation 'Canadians' who's parents, and parent's parents had never stepped foot on Canadian soil!... this way there is some control over who is granted citizenship. It prevents our Gov. from being taken advantage of... however it could potentially screw over a lot of people living in our area!

Regarding the hospital, The way I look at it, living in the city we were potentially 45min. from either hospital with maternity services if traffic was at peak time anyways, so whats an extra 15... especially this being my first I'm looking forward to an extra long labour. Also I feel that my level of care has been greatly increased because of where we live. I get to see a midwife (which are incredibly hard to get) because I fall under the category of "socially isolated" and the hospital itself is very 'natural friendly' as the large population in that area are on their 10-12th baby and don't believe in much regarding medical care.

April 21st, 2013, 07:40 AM
I think its one of those substance over form things that are frustrating, but I do get the logic behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
Regarding the hospital, The way I look at it, living in the city we were potentially 45min. from either hospital with maternity services if traffic was at peak time anyways, so whats an extra 15... especially this being my first I'm looking forward to an extra long labour.
I don't want to scare you in any way, but don't hesitate to go, even if you think you'll have hours left. I agonized for an hour, since I didn't want to be turned away, was admitted at 4cm, and reached 10cm less than 2 hours later. Since its your first, you won't know if you'll have a short or long labour.

I'm glad you're happy with your care though! I think I'm going the midwife route next time, but I do plan to have an epi I think again.

Jess
April 21st, 2013, 11:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The nice thing about the midwife is that I have 24 hr access directly to her over the phone, and she said she can confidently advise us over the phone as to when to come in when labour starts! I'd really like to stay home as long as possible, but obviously don't want to deliver in the truck

There isn't much we can do about the distance, so I'm choosing not to stress over it. It's really not that big of a deal to me.

April 22nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Maybe just because of the area I live in, but it's totally normal to have the hospital an hour plus drive away.

In the general area I've always lived in, the hospitals are at least an hour in different directions. I would find it kind of weird to have a hospital only 10 minutes away, only because that's never been the case for us

We've never had any issues due to this, and never had a baby born in a car somewhere lol.

That citizenship thing is quite interesting! Wonder if anyone else has ever thought that through.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
April 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
I hear at least a few times a year of women having babies on the side of the 400 or the 401. Those are highly populated areas, its not like a hospital would be far away (I think? I'm not familiar with the areas though )
MindyRambo likes this.

Jess
April 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
That is very interesting about the citizenship. I would want my child to be Canadian and do the same as you are doing.

Your Mum is so lucky, Jess! I would love to retire to France and she can!

I can get British citizenship through my Mom since she is/was British but I can't pass it to my son. You can stay in Britain for up to 6 months though as a Canadian so it is not really worth all of the paperwork.

Last edited by magz88; April 22nd, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 06:46 PM
DH's grandmother spends 6 months in Canada and 6 months in Croatia (she has dual citizenship I believe...they came to Canada when FIL was 3). She spends her winters here and her summers there because she runs a rooming house...you'd think it would be opposite

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search