"Canadian" baby names

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so we've had our baby's name picked out for a while now, and a few months ago came up with our 'back up name'.

Our first choice is familiar, easy to say and spell, but not overly used (in fact I don't know anyone personally with that name) very classic... imagine 80 yr old man!

Our back up, is of Scandinavian origin, and will likely be mis pronounced if read off the page (something I grew up with 100% of the time, so it's not really a concern)

We haven't shared either name with family/friends, but my mom knows about as many details as above. She got really upset with me the other night about our back up name because as she claims she'll never be able to say it, and giving a child an 'ethnic' name when neither of his parents are from that region (Dh's family identifies as Icelandic Canadian, even though their closest relatives there immigrated a few generations back.) is 'posing' and really ridiculous. Her biggest concern would be that we use a name like Fridgeir or something, we're not.

My family never had any 'cultural identity', my mom's side specifically were border jumpers between russian and germany depending on what was politically convenient. Her thinking is that when you live in Canada you should have a "Canadian" name I don't really believe that these exist, or at least without being a totally ridiculous made up name....kinda like Kalynn .. so I challenge you... what would be a Canadian name?

May 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i dont even know what a "canadian" name would be, canada is so multicultural. Im guessing your mother might want you to pick something that is "normal" for most english speakers?

name your kiddo whatever you want, im super curious to see what you pick, will you share the name you dont choose after hes here too?

May 6th, 2013, 07:51 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I don't know if there really are "Canadian" names, I also assume that she must just mean something "normal".

My name is Chantelle (French) and I can't speak French worth anything, but it never bothered me.

I chose my kids names because I liked them, period. Alyssa is fairly common, I've only ever met one other Rylan, Sophia is common but classic, and Hannah is an older name that you don't hear much of anymore.
May 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My assumption would be that by Canadian name she means names like, John, Robert, William, Jacob, that sort of name.

We also named our kids names that you don't hear much. I only know one person with the same name as DD1, she's my age, I just recently met someone with the same name as DD2 although it's spelled differently, she's also an adult. I don't think I know anyone with the same name as DS.

Go with names you and your DH like and don't worry about anyone else.

May 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Super Mommy
Maple maybe? lol. I agree with coroline, go with a name you love.

I wouldnt tell anyone the names I picked for my baby this time around plus we didnt pick them until I was around 37 weeks. Its bad luck to pick to early in my culture though.
May 6th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
No one knew our name either (except a few close friends, not even our parents).

And similar to the others, I guess she means classic names that end up on the top 100 lists?

She got her chance to pick names she liked when she had you...its your turn now and its not like she's going to disown him. She won't even care once he's here!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
LOL Canadian names. I agree she is probably referring to top 100 names. I think our mothers like thinking they have influence over our parenting choices. This is YOUR baby and your choice in name. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be beautiful and they will learn to pronounce it.

My kids all have different names. When I was in school in small town NEwfoundland, two of my best friends were also Karen. I hated it so I made sure my kids had names that were not common.

Can't wait to hear baby's name
May 7th, 2013, 07:38 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't tell anyone the names we were choosing either. I made the mistake once of telling someone that if our last one were a girl we like the name Siobhan and I got a lot of flack for it being told that no one would ever learn how to spell or pronounce it. That person was very happy when we had a boy because we picked a more "normal" name for him.

May 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I LOVE Siobhan!

In grade 9...there were 5 Jessicas...two of us were Jessica H so I became Jessica Hu. On the other hand, DH knows no one with his name (Kenith).

While Cam's name is in to top 100, its not in the top 50...we both loved the name and that's all that really mattered...although I was not a fan of names in the top 10-20.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search