Gifts

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2013, 05:56 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you feel about re-gifted or thrift store gifts? Are you OK receiving them for your kids? Would you give them?

What if they're obviously used? Say a colouring book set where the paint is dried up and there's writing and colouring in it? Or a game with no instructions and a reglued box?

May 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
If it is really used then no, other wise I think it is fine. It is the thought more than the present in my mind so.....

That being said I love hand me down cloths

May 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
If it is obviously used, no, but if it isn't, sure. It doesn't bother me any. I love hand me downs too
May 20th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
if its obviously used, no i would not gift the item. But if i got a toy that we already had, didnt take it out of the box then yes i would give that as a gift

May 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I never thought it would bother me, I always shop at thrift stores for my own family but I never thought of shopping there for gifts. Suddenly though thrift store and regifted gifts are starting to bother me. Maybe it's because the past 2 birthdays my girls have gotten obviously used gifts. DD1 received an address book with names already in it and the pen to it missing. DD2 received a colouring book with writing and colouring in it and a necklace that was all tangled into knots. She also got a game with missing instructions, open box and game pieces and a really odd musty smell to it.

These gifts are from the same 2 aunts. DD1 pointed it out to the one aunt when her book had writing in it and the aunt tried to claim that it was new and she had no idea.

I guess it's time for me to start shopping thrift stores for their kids too instead of purchasing new gifts $25-$30 per gift for all 6 nephews. I hope that doesn't come across as petty because it's not meant that way, I'm just starting to think I need to adjust the way I gift shop, especially for them.

May 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I would be upset by those gifts too, since they are so obviously used!
May 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I would be upset if its obviously used! And funny smelling.

I agree about re-thinking things. I mean, I know everyone's circumstances are different, but if there has been no significant change, its not fair to you to spend extra.

I have no problem buying used clothing or toys (ones I can clean easily ie no cloth), for Cam, but for gifts, I only give in the box, unopened.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 20th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
we buy used clothes and toys for my kids, but i wouldnt for a gift unless i was really on hard times for cash, and then id make sure it was something new, at our stores sometimes i find stuff with tags on it.

if your relative isnt low on cash then i wouldnt spend 30 bucks on her children when she cant even be bothered to pick out a nice item for your kids. If she is on hard times, id probably privately ask her to just skip the gift or maybe give her time as gift, doing a fun activity with the kids instead

May 20th, 2013, 02:31 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
If its used and crappy then, no. If its used and good then I have no problem with it.
May 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM
The thing is both of DH's sisters are better off than we are. Way better off. They take lavish trips every year, new vehicles, trailers near a lake, name brand clothing, etc etc. We struggle to make ends meet, only have one income and some months just barely get by.

I'd almost rather they didn't buy the girls gifts than buy them ones that are obviously used.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search