Allowances

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2013, 09:25 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After yesterday's antics DD1 has decided she would actually like to have an allowance so she can spend her money as she likes and not beg me and her dad every time she wants something.

So, give me some opinions what is an appropriate amount to give a 9 year old? Should I give it to her whether she helps out and does her chores or not or should I attach it to her chores so if she doesn't do them, or at least most of them, she doesn't get her allowance that week?

Allowances are all new to me and I'm clueless as to where to start.

July 12th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I hope some of those with older ones have some ideas for you.

I had like $1/week when I was maybe 6 or 7? It didn't last long, and is clearly inappropriate in today's world

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
my kids dont get allowance yet, obviously they are way to young, but i think 5-10 dollars a week is reasonable, but i would only give it to her if she does she chores/is helpful.

July 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I was thinking of starting it at $5/week if she helps out and seeing how it goes from there.

She wanted me to put a price on each chore she does, but I was thinking that's going to be way too hard to keep track of and it's going to get expensive fast when she asked for $2 just to set the table for me!

Seriously why don't these children come with instruction manuals?

July 12th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I agree, i think a price per chore is too complicated for everyone to keep track of too. If youre not feeling like having a chore list for her maybe you could start with a base amount, like 5 dollars a week, and if everytime she has poor behavior or chooses not to help she looses some of that money, and at the end of the week, what is left is what she gets. If a week is too long you could do daily, like a dollar a day if she listens and is helpful, if shes not she doesnt get it

July 12th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I like Bree's idea of a base amount.

I hope this works for you!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 12th, 2013, 09:11 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My oldest two (4 and 5) get an allowance. They get $1 per year of age (so Alyssa gets $5, Rylan gets $4 each week), and they get a "raise" each year on their birthday. They each have chores and while they aren't totally connected to the allowance, if they choose not to do their chore they have to "pay" someone to do it out of their allowance, usually the other one is more than willing to earn the extra money. For example, if Alysa pitches a fit and doesn't want to set the table, and Rylan offers to do it, then she has to pay him 25 cents out of her allowance to set the table, so she ends up with $4.75 and he ends up with $4.25. After doing that a few times, they gave up fighting about doing their chores (obviously because of their age, their chores are relatively simple).
magz88 likes this.
July 13th, 2013, 06:24 AM
That could get expensive as they get older!

I do like the idea of her having to pay someone else to do her chores if she chooses not to do them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search