Bonfires

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Do you have them in your backyard?
Do you enjoy going to them?
How often do you go to them/have them in the summer?
Any rules in your region regarding them?

I have a story behind this...but want to get everyone's perspective first

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
We plan to buy a firepit (a small one that is up off the ground) maybe next year to have them in the back yard. But we havent had one recently. Im not sure what the laws are about them, i think they need to be a certain distance from your fence (if you have one) but other than that im not sure

July 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a fire pit in our back yard, and have started having a fire every weekend, I've really been enjoying them. I've always enjoyed fires but in the city they had to be in an enclosed above ground fire container. There are rules here about how large and how close to a fence line they can be, but it's really just common sense. We don't do anything big, just large enough to cook some hotdogs and for the kids to roast marshmallows.

July 14th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Do you have them in your backyard? yes
Do you enjoy going to them? yep
How often do you go to them/have them in the summer? Quite often
Any rules in your region regarding them? BYOB no we have no rules here. Usually we have a couple friends over

July 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have them in your backyard?You bet
Do you enjoy going to them?Yeah, but more often than not it's us hosting
How often do you go to them/have them in the summer?as often as we want this year, but so far we've only had a few
Any rules in your region regarding them?Well, last summer we were under a total burn ban because of all the forest fires, this year no ban after June, so we've lucked out. It al depends, we live in the bush so dry years = no fires

July 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
Do you have them in your backyard? Not very often - we have a fire pit, but they're really cracking down on fires in Burlington. At my cottage, obviously a different story!
Do you enjoy going to them? Yes! But a bonfire without drinking might not be as fun...
How often do you go to them/have them in the summer? Every night at the cottage, once or twice at home
Any rules in your region regarding them? Yes, not allowed. It depends on your neighbours really - my aunt and uncle live a few blocks away and a neighbour called 911 on them for having a fire (get a life??) ... and the fire dept came and ended their fun.
July 15th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
See, that's my issue. We used to have them wayyyy more often, its just been far too hot, and obviously more often at the cottage. Our neighbour has them every weekend. Sometimes both Friday and Saturday. Does not bother me one bit. I think its awesome!

The neighbour next to them however, has called bylaw. Bylaw came and checked everything out and its fine, proper distance from the house, fence and shed. And they always have them between 7pm and 12am, which is what is allowed here. The past 2 weekends, she has come over and YELLED at him, calling him names, he needs to put it out because she can smell it....etc. (this is the one that came and freaked out at him because his granddaughter was jumping on her trampoline and could see over the fence into her backyard and she didn't want her doing that...).

So I guess the consensus is fire are ok. She's just bat-*hit crazy lol.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 15th, 2013, 10:17 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Do you have them in your backyard? Yes.
Do you enjoy going to them? Love them!
How often do you go to them/have them in the summer? At least twice/week most of the time.
Any rules in your region regarding them? You just have to watch the burn warning, if it's low there aren't any rules, moderate or high you can't have them.

So, yes, your neighbor is crazy
July 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, your neighbour is crazy! If it were really dry and there was a burn ban in effect maybe (just maybe) I could see her being upset because it's a safety thing. If there's no bans and you're being responsible (the flames aren't taller than the 6 ft fences, yes I've seen people in the city with fires that big) then go for it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search