*~*August Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Yeah, I wasn't too happy with Zehrs, but Sobeys was more expensive and they also didn't have a smash cake. I can do it, I just have a million other things so need to outsource some stuff. I wish you were closer too!!!! One thing off my mind.

Nice price! That's really good!

Babytime at the library this morning! Its our 2nd last one We won't be able to go again till next April. Then I'll bring the little one to the under 1 program (what Cam is doing) and then Cam will do the toddler program. Crazy.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Super Mommy
Im lucky to have my own personal cake boss live near me hehe

She and her hubby are amazing, which reminds me i need to book her soon for Sahara's 1st birthday, she gets really busy lol
August 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's so cute! I love doing cakes for my family and friends. I haven't had much time to do any recently. It almost makes me want to make one just for fun. Before we moved I made a batch of icing and just sat there making different flowers so I wouldn't loose all my skills. I find it's a use it or loose it thing for me. When I was doing cakes every weekend I would make massive batches of different flowers, dry them and keep them so I just had to pop them on the cakes as I needed them instead of making them and having to wait for them to dry every time I needed flowers.

August 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i wish i had cake decorating talent!

August 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I used to decorate cakes back when Tim Hortons actually made cakes, and I made them from scratch. I know what you mean about flowers...if I was working a shift during the week, and had extra time, I'd do the roses ahead of time.

Whew, an almost 50 minute walk to babytime and then same thing home. Yay for exercise! And when I got home, DH's friend was over....he and his GF are expecting!!!! Such an exciting day!!! She's due about 10 days to 2 weeks before me. SOOOO stinkin excited....both of them were in our wedding so we're pretty close to them, so we told them about us as well. We still haven't told our parents!

Jess
August 8th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Tim Hortons made cakes? i so dont remember that! Conrats to you friends, thats super exciting

August 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Yup. We took cake orders, made any size just like Zehrs, Sobeys, etc. There was also Black Forest and Double Chocolate cakes always ready for purchase. All that is gone now. Everything is premade and shipped frozen to stores that basically finish the cooking process. Not cool. I used to measure out flour etc. to bake. I did that for about 2 years before they started switching to the current system. Makes me sad.

Ahhhh, planning kids birthday parties is soooooo stressful. Wayyyyy too many people are coming. And we are providing dinner so its super expensive for us...I am making some salads (except for dressing) tomorrow, and cleaning my floors and bathrooms. Everything else is clean, so Saturday morning just make sure it stays that way! And finish making apps and salads. And decorate somehow in there too. I think I would be much less stressed if I was getting more sleep and weren't so tired!

Jess
August 8th, 2013, 07:35 PM
i didnt know that! No wonder i think timmies used to taste better!

August 8th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Oh Jess! I'm sorry it's become so big and stressful for you.

Here are some of my cakes. Some are much better than others, I'm sure you'll be able to tell which ones I did while still taking classes and learning.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=ee1c5cd3e1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9d76cb9166

August 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Those are nice Caroline! I cant decide which one is my fave they all look super delicious

now im hungry

August 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah and I want to go decorate a cake. I don't necessarily want to bake one, just decorate.

August 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM
i like to bake, but when it comes to decorating im lacking LOL I will make the cake and you can come make it pretty then we can all eat it ... sounds like a great deal to me

August 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Deal!

We would make a great team! I love the decorating but I'm really not good a baking a decent cake. The last time I made a cake I got a lot of complements, unfortunately I had cheated and used a mix! I never got complements about the taste of the cake when I baked it from scratch. How sad is that?

August 9th, 2013, 04:45 AM
i just started baking from scratch i make a super yummy chocolate coconut cake

dang im so modest guys

I often use the box stuff too, FWIW growing up if you made a cake with a boxed mix we still called it "home made"

August 9th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I consider a box homemade too. Some of us just weren't cut out to make things from scratch.

Side note funny story:

My grandmother tried for years to teach me to make a decent pie crust from scratch, she started trying to teach me when I was just a kid and continued to try until I got married. She made pies each and every week, so this was a big thing to her. Well, I couldn't do it. Mine were either so sticky that they wouldn't roll or were so tough that no one wanted to eat it. Finally she gave up and told me "you know dear, grocery stores sell frozen pie crusts now just for people like you, maybe you should try those instead"

August 9th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Super Mommy
Love love love that barnyard cake and the cupcakes! They look so yummy

Im so not domestic lol if it doesnt come in a box with easy directions - im screwed
August 9th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I had a lot of fun making those.

August 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM
LOVE your cakes Caroline! Really wish you lived closer! Cam's is just going to have some orange and turquoise balloons...yours are MUCH MUCH MUCH better!

I am doing nothing special for his smash cake either, and I'm sure my orange and turquoise won't match the one from the store. Oh well. He's just going to make a mess anyways lol. I'll take a picture and post it but it won't be up to Caroline's standards...its been about 8-9 years since I've done cakes. I've occasionally done ones for friends but nothing spectacular and I've definitely lost most of it.

Phew, 3rd trip to Zehrs in as many days, and I have to go to tomorrow to pick up the cake. Pausing for 5 minutes while DH occupies Cam so I can breathe! So I popped in! Hope you are all well, I probably won't be around tomorrow but I hope to pop on later tonight!

Jess
August 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM
lol your grandma sounds funny! I love that story

sounds like youve been really busy jess! im glad we dont have big parties after hearing about all you are doing to get ready for Cams party! Im sure it will be great though

August 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Trust me, I wish we didn't either! I would be perfectly happy with our parents and siblings and that's it. The joys of marrying into an intensely European family. They do rally round when things aren't great though, so it really works both ways.

DH is doing the bathrooms for me!!! Yay! I love my hubby

Just have to do Cam's cake and I am done for the night. I am taking a break though first lol.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search