Anyone read this recently?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Parents launch lawsuit over daughter's daycare death | CP24.com

I think it's horribly sad that this happened to this family. However at what point do parents take responsibility for their own actions.... if you are dropping off your child at an unlicenced centre caring for 27 kids... maybe you should be looking for alternate care!

I know how hard it is to find good childcare (I worked as a nanny, and was in college for my ECE) but why do people think that it's everyone else's responsibility to ensure the safety of their children! (I mean that in terms of MOST parents would take such an over crowded daycare as a huge red flag! Not that the day care provider shouldn't have done more to ensure the safety of the child)

August 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I haven't been following this much since it came out...were the parents aware of how many kids were there?

In the case of a girl in my PR, the provider was hiding how many kids she did in fact have in her care, so if that were the case, I'd be more inclined to agree with the lawsuit. That said, its kind of hard to hide TWENTY-TWO extra kids. I'm not sure, its such a touchy area.

This is my worst fear: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ur-sitter.html

Our daycare has 3 including Cam, plus her daughter who will be starting all day JK after labour day. I have no concerns at this point. And we plan to drop in unannounced several times in the next little while, and at least once a month going forward. Not that we didn't trust our process for finding a provider, but just for our peace of mind given the recent stuff in the news (the poisoning using eye drop solution?).

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
oh wow thats terrible! I am so sad that a sweet baby girl died I agree with you, it is hard to find childcare but 27 kids in an unlicensed day care is a huge red flag and majorly illegal! but how could you expect your child to be properly cared for when their are that many kids!

August 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow Jess! That is an awful example of how important it is to really do your due diligence and follow your mommy gut, and watch for your baby's anxiety! I also know that many home providers are amazing and do a wonderful job, I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to provide care for another child when Arthur is over a year... I don't know yet.

I absolutely think that the day car provider should be charged, depending on the circumstances of the child's death (which aren't clear to me) But suing the department of ed. annoys me. Its a money grab, when some of the responsibility should fall on the parents!

August 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I'm sure they are in pain and are just lashing out at anything and everything to assuage their guilt. It such a horrible case.

And then recently near me: CTV Kitchener: Caregiver facing charges | CTV Kitchener News

Scary. I wish I could be a sahm when I hear things like this.

Jess
August 8th, 2013, 06:07 PM
so scary! I dont know how working moms do it, i really dont. I dont know how id pick someone to keep my precious babies safe for me.

August 8th, 2013, 07:27 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As an unlicensed childcare provider, this sort of stuff really upsets me. It gives every single one of us a bad name. Parents are more suspicious of us than ever after the recent stories and I know a few very good ones who are closing up shop because of it and there are many of us having a hard time finding kids at all.

Don't get me wrong, not all childcare providers are good, but that goes for licensed and unlicensed, centers and home based. The majority of childcare providers really do care for and about the kids in their care and treat them like part of their own family, especially in home care.

Please don't let a few bad apples sour your view of all home child care.
Jessimaaka and crunchywannabe like this.

August 8th, 2013, 07:34 PM
^ i totally agree! I hope i didnt come off in a way that was saying i think all home care is bad. Honestly if i had to put my kids in daycare id likely choose a home daycare over a facility, simply because id rather my child have that personalized attention that you just dont get at a facility with multiple teachers and many kids in a room.

it just sucks all around that people think an unlicensed day care with 20+ kids is ok! how did no one report that before now?? I dont understand how as a parent you can possibly trust someone like that

August 8th, 2013, 07:41 PM
As a mom I wouldn't trust something like that and as a HDCP I wouldn't trust something like that. I know there was a woman in our old neighbourhood who looked after 10-12 kids and another HDCP and I called in to report her, even unlicensed providers have to follow the rules. She got fined and shut down. There must have been people who noticed that that woman had 27 kids, why did no one do anything before something happened?

August 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM
thats what im wondering too. I just dont see how not one of the parents of those 27 kids noticed there were WAY to many kids around - I mean im guessing she didnt have all of them all the time but still

August 9th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My understanding was that the day care had been reported, but they hadn't gotten to it yet... my thinking is if you have reported your child's daycare for ANY reason... don't continue taking your kids there!

August 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I will say that the one Cam is going to is unlicensed. BUT she had great references, the kids are all happy, we really clicked with her, and again, confident in our process. But we will still drop in.

Its always the way...one bad one gives everyone else a bad rap.

And a girl I used to work with, the daycare she has her kids with, has had to let some kids go. I guess it was a mother/daughter team, so 5 kids each so 10 in total. But they had a bunch of part-timers and before/after school kids and sometimes they would end up with a couple extra. Someone complained, and they let go pretty much all those not full-time. And I completely agree with that. She didn't mind, but I personally would. I also thought there were rules around HDCP getting together? I can't remember offhand now, ours doesn't do field trips (I'm a tad bit anal about carseats and don't want anyone else strapping him in) so it became a bit of a non-issue to me.

Jess
August 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
MB regs allow for 'combined' home day cares. so long as the adult to child ratio is within what is allowed.
I would also have a hard time allowing anyone take my child places in the car, however I would not be providing care to another child if I couldn't go out once in a while. (we are very rural, so no option to walk anywhere)... I think I can handle car seats though... it's kind of "my thing"

August 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I think as long as the child to adult ratio is good, so 1 adult for every 5 non related children (as in children that dont belong to the HDCP) its all good. I dont think id allow anyone else to take my child somewhere in a car, walking would be alright though.

August 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mother/daughter teams or friends working together don't work. You can only have a max of 5 kids in your house that aren't your own.

A lot of caregivers I know, including myself, do got to playgroups though, either at each other's houses for a couple of hours, or a play land, church group or EY center. I don't blame them for doing so, could you imagine being locked in your four walls all day every day for sometimes up to 10-12 hours at a time with someone else's small children and no other adults?

August 9th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Oh I agree with that, there's tons to walk to where they are (library, parks, etc.)...they just won't be going to the museum, or pools or splashpads, etc. Which is perfect for my comfort level. I could not be locked in a house with kids all day either. I always have to get out with Cam as it is

And I didn't think mother/daughter combinations worked either...I did ask her that and she seemed to think it was all good, so I figured I had it wrong. Her 7 year old daughter has a disability (she has a pretty severe form of VCFS) and they are amazing with her so she would be very reluctant to change. But not my place, so I didn't say anything further.

Jess
August 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I know, it's hard to say anything and when you get a great caregiver you tend to stick with them, but technically in Ontario it isn't allowed. Two caregivers and 10 kids is technically classed as a center and they must be licensed. I won't say it doesn't happen and people don't get away with it because it does and many people do because there are so many unlicensed places and so few people to try regulate them, it's near impossible in fact unless something bad happens.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search