Aug 14 is the 10 Year Anniversary...

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Of the Eastern Seaboard Blackout!!!!

10-year anniversary of the great Toronto blackout - Toronto - CBC News

This article is based on Toronto, but there are tons of stories out there!

For those of you who experienced it...what were you doing when the lights went off? What did you do to pass the time? Anything specifically memorable?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 13th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i remember when that happened! I was like 15 at the time and my boyfriend actually got stuck in the TO airport because of it

August 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had been married for a year and I was 4 months preggy. I was at work when it happened and our boss was out of the office at an "all day meeting". I, being the office manager was the one in charge of figuring out what happened. I ended up walking to the office next door to ours and she had a battery operated radio and was able to tell me that there was no hope of it coming on any time soon. We shut down the office, attempted to locate and call our boss to no avail and all went home.

DH and I spent the next couple days in the basement which was the coolest place in the house, warmed food on the gas fireplace because the gas still worked so it warmed the fireplace itself it just had no blower to pump the heat out.

We were actually very lucky and were one of the first cities to get our hydro back, we were up and running in 2 days, or at least our area of the city was, some parts of the city took a few more days to be fully functional.

August 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i had power ect the whole time, but i was still living up in north-western ontario, so we watched it on the news

August 14th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I was 18, and I was hanging out with DH! We went to our friend's house, he had a camping stove and we had hot dogs LOL. My sister dropped me off, but on the way home, the car started malfunctioning (it had 989,000km on it ) and she couldn't go more than 30km/h...add that to all the street lights out and the chaos, she was very stressed! From our friend's house, we wandered around on foot. We ended up in the Tim Hortons parking lot beside a big plant in town, and looked at the CRAZY stars you could see since there was no lights anywhere. I still lived at home so I wasn't concerned about losing food, babies, etc. Pretty sure we got it back pretty quick too.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search