Doulas in Canada

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2013, 09:39 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Has anyone ever used a doula?

I just met with one today and I am on the fence. I am planning for a vbac and want to do everything I can to make it happen, and I am not sure if the added expense is worth the benefit at this point. Any personal experiences would be much appreciated. Interestingly enough, we posted together on a board on JM (WTTC) so I really clicked with her, but not sure yet if I should hire her.

She also told me how there is no standard in Ontario or Canada for doulas. This is in terms of care, pricing etc. If you have used a doula, if you don't mind sharing price and what she did, it would be much appreciated. She is part of a collective in my area that is working to standardize the practice here so all doulas are the same price, provide essentially the same service (with one or two minor word changes on their contracts), etc. which I found interesting, so really my focus would be finding someone I click with, rather than worrying about price and such.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i considered one everytime i was pregnant but ultimately decided against it, I couldnt justify the cost, my Dh also thinks its pointless to have one so it may have just added stress/tension to the situation and i didnt want that.

The doulas i looked into were all around 500 i think, and they all seemed to provide basically the same services, 2-3 visits prenatally to talk about birth/get to know each other ect. Obviously they would be on call for labour/delivery and then help you get settled after birth, some mentioned they could assist with BFing too. And they all did 1-2 visits in the first week postpartum. One mentioned that she would write up a birth story for you if you wanted, and i really liked that idea.

I think it having them be universal as far as cost/care ect would be wonderful. So i really hope thats something that happens in the future
Jessimaaka likes this.

August 22nd, 2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah, this area, the 'standard' is $850 (ie that's what the collective charges), but as she is still technically considered a student, she gives a discount to $500 if I sign on with her before she completes her last few reports which will be in the next 2 months. I'm torn...I think I am going to meet with the midwife first and then go from there.

Jess
August 22nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
I loved my MWs so much i didnt really need a doula at my births, they were amazing support to me. But i really clicked with them, if i could go back and have one at my first birth i would have though, i didnt know the OB who delivered Ross, though my nurse was pretty good i didnt know her either

August 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never used one, looked into them when I was preggy with DD2, but they were way out of my price range.

If you want to compare prices and services provided by doulas I know someone who I believe is in your area, if you live where I think you do, I can pass her name and info on to you. I like her as a person and she has a couple little girls, one is the same age as my DS.

Good luck.

August 22nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was really considering a doula, but when I had the option of a midwifery student, (for free) I took that instead. I was happy with that decision. Doulas here cost roughly $650 (also unregulated) technically you don't need any special training to be a doula, however I wouldn't hire one that hadn't at least mostly completed their DONA training. (with the exception of a close friend or something who was acting in the doula role)

Next go around if I am seeing a midwife I will still consider the doula, HOWEVER it will be a non negotiable should I have to see a Dr. or OB.

August 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
My friend said she was comfortable with me sharing her info, so here's her FB page, if you're interested you should be able to at least send an initial message through there to get a hold of her.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doula...57763564337350

August 23rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Hahahahahah Caroline, that's who I met with....I think she introduced my friend to JM, who in turn introduced me LOL.

We posted together for a bit on WTTC

Jess
August 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
LOL! Small world! I guess I'm no help in giving you another person for options then.

August 23rd, 2013, 08:12 AM
Lol, just shows how small Canada can really be. She was wonderful though, I really enjoyed meeting with her. I guess I'm really just trying to justify the expense at the moment...I mean, Kenny was fantastic helping me and advocating for me last time and kept ensuring that the c-section was a last resort...but I'm sure he could have used some help. I'm torn!

Jess
August 23rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
haha, small world! its fun how that stuff works out. I met a friend on a message board once, turns out i went to HS with her half brother! she didnt live in that town though, she lived in toronto, im from a crazy small town too, in the middle of nowhere so the odds of that happening are nuts

August 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
^ sorry that was totally a tangent and a half there

My friend used a doula for her third birth, she really liked having her there even though her husband is a good support. I think its just nice to have someone there who has gone through it sometimes KWIM?

My husband just asked if you had a flex spending account or a health care spending account through your insurance? he said sometimes you can submit a doula through that and have it covered, so its worth looking into if your only hold back is the cost

August 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Haha, not a tangent at all lol. So funny how things like that happen!

I use my flex dollars towards my premiums since if we don't use it, we lose it. And we can only change it every two years...The most recent change was this past November so I won't get to change it before I give birth. Cost is a factor but not the be all and end all.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search