~*~September Chat Thread~*~

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have the FI discussion all the time! There is no option for it here, but DH went through k-12 in it and is fluent, and that's why we are where we are with his job (fed. gov)

I just ordered Rosetta Stone french because I wish I had of been in FI and learned another language, and it's very important that Arthur learn it, so he'll need to be taught at home.

September 4th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
its so funny how board run things differently, I was in French immersion from K-12, and the only elementary school that offered it was the separate school board. Here there are 2 public schools that offer it starting in grade 1

September 4th, 2013, 06:03 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FI in our area is huge! There are 5 elementary schools and 2 high schools in the city that offer it and they are all over capacity, and there is 1 elementary school for the rural area that we are now in that offers it. I believe we'll have to send the kids to a city high school to get their French diploma.

It wasn't available to me when I was a kid and I hated what French we did take in class with a passion anyways so I wouldn't have enjoyed it. DH loved French and took classes right through to OAC (grade 13 for those outside Ontario) with it. He's not fluent, but wishes he was because a lot of jobs around here pay anywhere from $2-$5 more per hour if you have both languages.

September 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Things may have changed since I went to school, I know my only friend that has her kids in the separate board right now, don't have the option...but they live out of town (Ayr) and go to a small school rather than in-town...not sure if that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure when they lived in town, she didn't have the option though because I'm sure she would have put her daughter in it because she took french all the way to OAC too. And my friend with her son in grade 1 in the public board, they opted not to put him in and now apparently all his friends from SK are in it and he's alone.

Ok, so I went and researched lol. Separate board still does not offer it. But we do have a fully french school that's not public and that is actually in Angie's area if its Angie you are talking about....perhaps her DD1 goes there? Either way, they still offer French, its just a subject like math, reading, etc. so no where near the depth of FI.

Hi Marie!!!! hope all is well with you!!!!
Surprise baby! due 3/29/2017

Save
September 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
No, not Angie. I actually have more friends in your city than I do in the one closest to me. She sent her DD to what she calls FI, but for the first half of the day her DD is in a regular core English class then from lunch time on she goes to a different classroom and does some subjects in French.

Here when you go to FI, the whole class is French. In grades one and two the teachers will speak in French and then repeat in English but by grade 3 that gets less and less and this year, grade 4, DD1 has already come home saying they aren't allowed to use English unless it's English class.

September 4th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I don't know anyone in it currently but the guy when I was little he had certain subjects on certain days in French and others in English, and it was all switched around all the time I think? I could be TOTALLY wrong, we're going back like 22 years here LOL. So I really have no idea...

I totally thoguht Angie because of the french school being near her lol. You should just move here instead if you know more people!!!! But I'm guessing you never want to move again

Heading to pick up my grumpy boy in a few minutes!!!! Just waiting for some work to load and then I'm outta here!!!!!

Save
September 4th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh counts in french... lol when doing math etc. All of his subjects were in French with the exception of English, and just over an hour from here is the closest DSFM school (all french) But Manitoba has a few 'hard core' francophone communities, so that services those students.
The city I grew up in (pop.15000) had 1 french immersion school k-8, and a course in high school specifically for the immersion kids. I know of 1 person who actually used the language to his benefit later on (he was a tour guide in Ottawa at the Parliament buildings) but otherwise nobody spoke it after school.

Jess- Hope Cam is in a better mood tonight!

September 4th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Grumpy gus is already in bed. He slept for less than an hour at daycare today so was exhausted and almost fell asleep on the 3 minute car drive home. I hope he sleeps tonight. He is so over tired since he has trouble sleeping at daycare. He has his own room, his own pack and play, a fan going, his monkey and paci. Exactly the same as at home. He is so afraid of missing something. Even though all the other kids are napping too. I'm not sure what is typical for a child to adjust? He did great last week, sleeping like 2.5 hours some of the days. I don't know why he regressed

DH started his new job today, he enjoyed it So glad it was very quick for him to find something.

Save
September 4th, 2013, 04:42 PM
i dont really use my french anymore, other than if i want or need to read something in another language, i dont know many people that did FI with me that use it either. Im still glad im fluent in both national languages though

September 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Warning, whiney first world problem vent ahead.

I hate my girls being so late getting home from school! School ends at 3:35, but they don't get home on the bus until 4:45. This sucks! Every single Thursday I'm going to have to pick up the girls so that DD2 can get to dance class on time as it is. I just got sent the ringette schedule for the year, the team times are either Wednesday at 5 or Thursday at a later time. Wednesday means I would have to pick the girls up 2 nights in a row, Thursday means that DH and I have to trade of with who takes which girl where since one is ending as the other is starting and neither one of us can see both activities and we wouldn't be able to eat as a family since DD1 would eat before practice and DD2 would eat when she gets back. The other thing with the Thursday practice is that it's on the other side of the city from us. Both options suck! I want to cry just thinking about all the juggling I'm going to have to do to make this year work.

September 5th, 2013, 11:09 AM
sounds frustrating!!! it sucks that they get out so late and have such a long bus ride

September 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
That's so late to be getting home from school! That's not a first world whine, that just sucks! Its cutting into after school activity time! I would not be pleased either.

Grumpy boy slept for an hour again today. But he had 4 runny bowel movements at daycare...she thinks its his teeth I hope this passes soon! I need sleep!

There is the risk of patchy frost tonight! I know all you gardeners aren't happy, but us allergy sufferers are jumping for joy

Save
September 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM
its been chilly here lately too, we actually put on long pants today to go out! I hope Cam feels better soon, teething sucks

September 5th, 2013, 05:08 PM
No! I'm not ready for frost!

Well I'm not the only one who has to pick up their child early for after school activities. I went to sign out the girls and the three people ahead of me all signed out their kids with the reason of dance.

DD2's first dance class went great. She was so excited and had a great time. There are 4 girls in her class, 2 have danced before and 2 have not. DD2 spent the first half of the class just watching the other girls unless the teacher actually came to her and asked her to do a move, but by the second half she was right in there dancing with the rest of the girls. She came home so tired she ate supper, put on her jammies and fell asleep.

September 5th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did FI from k-5, and all I did with it was bump up my GPA by taking introductory french courses in university lol.
I didn't go FI with my kids, too many issues with speech delays, developmental stuff etc

No frost here yet

Lucky mother to five!

September 6th, 2013, 04:39 AM
i love the pic in your siggy Marie! you have a gorgeous family!

September 6th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I've officially become the "mean mommy" on the street and I've only lived here a couple of months. I know the girl who lives 2 doors down quite well, I used to baby sit her and her siblings. Well her house is a bus stop for the local elementary school. A boy this morning was throwing stones at her front window! I walked down and stopped him. My poor DH just looked at DS and said, "There she goes again".

Was I wrong? Would you have stopped the kids if you didn't know them but knew the owner of the house? I didn't think I did it in a mean way, I just asked him if he thought it was a good idea and how long the thought he'd be paying for it out of his allowance if it broke and his mom found out. DH thought I was mean and should have stayed out of it.

September 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Yay for dance class going great! I'm not sure about the stone throwing...I am very quiet and tend to go tell DH who would then for sure say something. Juvenile, but I doubt I would say something...but I know my DH would and that's why I would tell him!

Its Friday!!!! I get to spend all weekend with my little guy!!!! Hopefully he will start to sleep better. I gave him some advil last night and got a 4 hour stretch out of him. Poor guy. The DCP also said there's some herbal thing you can get at like Shoppers, they are little tube things? One dose at a time for teething? She couldn't remember the name but one of her other daycare kids used them and they worked wonders for her. I'm going to have to look tonight!

And I have a baby shower to go to on Sunday. I was going to bring Cam but it starts at 11:30 and he typically starts his afternoon nap at 12:30 so I'm going to leave him with DH...and hope he naps :/

Save
September 6th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I would have said something to the boy throwing rocks. Thats dangerous and its vandalism if he were to break it or something! I think of it this way, if it was one of my kids throwing rocks at someones window i sure hope someone would tell him to knock it off

September 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I'd definitely want someone to say something if it were my kids acting like that. My other thought was, what if he does break the window, then I would have to tell my friend that yes I saw who did it but no I didn't do anything about it. I'd hope she'd say something too if she saw someone trying to wreck my house.

Tomatoes and peppers are ready, going to my Mom's house to make a large batch of spaghetti sauce for the winter. It's one of my favourite things to do, I love the smell of it simmering away on the stove.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search