*~*October Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
the only maternity pants i liked were motherhood ones with the secret fit belly, they are majorly overpriced IMO but nothing else fit me nicely

October 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Feels like I never left! I have our hotel booked for the team already for regionals in the spring, I'm holding my first parent meeting of the year the Thursday, and I have a meeting with other managers and coaches on Monday. I love our coach this year, she's keeping me in the loop more and we have been talking regularly about our expectations for the team. I'm hoping to get the jerseys soon and have people hand in their name plates so I can start sewing those on, I want to do those myself this year instead of paying to have someone else do it.

Oh and I wanted to ask you guys have you ever heard of a gift card fundraiser? I've done a lot of fundraisers over the past 5 years or so of having kids in school and sports and this is the most unique one I've ever seen, but maybe it's just me. OK, so it runs like this, the group is purchasing gift cards at a discount then we buy them for regular price, the difference goes to the kids. They are gift cards for places like No Frills and Loblaws, Timmy's, different restaurants, other grocery stores and like Home Depot and hardware stores. They are running it once a month all year.

October 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
that is a very cool idea, if im understanding it right

so the team buys 20$ gift cards for timmies (or what not) you pay 10$ for each and then sell them for 15$ each right? (or something to that effect)

October 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Interesting! I haven't heard of that! But I can imagine you could make a lot off those from a volume perspective especially as Christmas stocking stuffers and such. Those are useful! They definitely have to get more creative since its probably become really hard to sell things like magazine subscriptions.

So I was at Babies R Us tonight because we need to replace a bunch of Cam's sippy cups and he only likes Tommy Tippee ones and Walmart and The Real Canadian Super Store don't carry them (where I usually stop in quickly lol). And my boss was there. It was funny because I've only worked with her for just over a month and we've realized we're very similar (her son was born Oct 2011), I'm sad to be going on mat leave and not work with her.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
that is a very cool idea, if im understanding it right

so the team buys 20$ gift cards for timmies (or what not) you pay 10$ for each and then sell them for 15$ each right? (or something to that effect)
Sort of, you can buy the gift cards in any denomination you want and the company has offered a percentage discount when we buy them in bulk. So I'm paying the actual amount of the gift card, or selling them to my friends for the actual amount, but the dance association is getting them at a 5% discount. Some are more, some are less, like Staples I think it is only gives a 2% Crabby Joes offered an 18% discount. So then the difference between the actual amount on the card, which we paid and the discounted amount which the dance association paid is what goes towards the dancers.

I've decided that since I shop at No Frills most of the time anyways for my groceries, I'm going to buy gift cards and shop with them instead of debit. I'll just budget out about what I spend each month and buy them then put away the money I would have spent in cash to buy the next set.

October 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
I've decided that since I shop at No Frills most of the time anyways for my groceries, I'm going to buy gift cards and shop with them instead of debit. I'll just budget out about what I spend each month and buy them then put away the money I would have spent in cash to buy the next set.
Kind of off-topic, but I hate how No Frills only accepts Mastercard. What kind of store in this day and age doesn't accept Visa? Drives me crazy, cause I have a Visa rewards card and I can never get the points on my groceries.
October 3rd, 2013, 07:06 AM
I agree! When my DH worked for a bank we only had a visa because that is what his bank issued. I really only keep shopping there because it's the only decent place to get affordable groceries around here.

October 3rd, 2013, 08:55 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
That sounds like a really cool fundraiser! We don't have a no frills around here, I'm not sure if anywhere in NB does or not?

At work today and I'm swamped! Had to look away from it for a minute, before my brain turned to mush! I fear this is going to be a daily thing between now and Christmas!
October 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
I don't think I've ever shopped at No Frills...but I don't have a mastercard, must be why! I usually pay debit for groceries though. I go to Real Canadian Superstore...just because its the closest and I know where everything is in it.

Caroline, you are so smart! You need to market that idea to potential customers to get them to buy more!

Quiet day here...counting down the time till I get to go home.

Yay Chantelle! Must mean business is good then!

Jess
October 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
LOL! I wish I could take credit for that idea, that's how the dance studio marketed it to us parents.

I need a job. Do you know how hard it is to get a job when you haven't worked in over 6 years and the last place you had a full time job said no, they won't give you a reference anymore because it was too long ago that you worked for them?

Side note:
I won't forget my kids today, I won't forget my kids today, I won't forget my kids today...

October 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
^ i think thats a pretty common problem for stay at home moms re entering the work force! totally uncool IMO its wrong for them (being employers) to hold that against women. I think more women would stay home with their kids, or stay home longer if that wasnt something they had to worry about.

its actually something ive thought about before, We plan to homeschool our children so honestly by the time i will be in a position to work again I probably be in my mid-late 40's having been out of the work force for like 25 years

i dont worry about it much since its like 20 years away but im pretty screwed

October 3rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Yep, business is really picking up, so much so that I can hardly keep on top of it all! If Christmas season doesn't kill me it'll be a miracle!

I can definitely see that being a problem for a lot of Moms! SAHM should be a relevant job on an application!
October 3rd, 2013, 07:20 PM
That's crazy! How can they not give you a reference?!? That's not fair at all. My mom stayed home with us for about 10 years, but was lucky to go work at my dad's company...that's a lucky case though. I hope you find something. What are you looking for? Hopefully you can find someone who knows what its like to re-enter the workforce.

Picked up some light long sweaters today that will last me for a bit...much cheaper than maternity clothes!

I am so glad tomorrow is Friday though...I am ready for the weekend!

Jess
October 4th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Is Ryker too out there for a boy's name?

Jess
October 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Super Mommy
I think its really cute Its gaining popularity too

Are you thinking team blue Jess?
October 4th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Depends on the day. We still love the girl's name we picked out for Cam so we've been more focused on finding a boy's name

2 more hours of work...I just want to take a nap!

Jess
October 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Super Mommy
I have no idea how we're going to pick another boy name if we have another son. It was hard enough finding one for DS, let alone a 2nd boy. We had at least 2 solid girl names picked out well before I even got pregnant.
October 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I could go for a nap. My head hurts and my stomach isn't feeling well.

That's a nice name Jess. I like it.

I'm looking for just about anything part time. I was thinking retail would be the easiest way to re enter the workforce, but seriously some of the applications are nuts! I filled out one online for Party City, they are looking for part time seasonal help, not even full time or permanent, it took me 70 minutes to do the application and employment test! At this rate I'm going to loose my mind before I find a job.

October 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM
That's crazy!!!! Now is definitely the best time to get into something like that though with the Christmas rush coming up. It didn't even take me 70 minutes to set up all my stuff to apply to my current position.

Hope you got your nap and you don't get sick.

Cameron's new favourite game? Pushing a little car (of any kind) going bruuum bruuuum bruuum
Kelz88 likes this.

Jess
October 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM
No nap, but I did take the girls to my Moms for the night, so I'm down to just one kid to look after. At this rate I'm going to fall asleep before he does though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search