*~*October Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yuck! I remember working hours like that. I used to tease that I kept a sleeping bag under my desk and just lived at work.

We got our game schedule this morning. Last year since we played regional, we stayed in the area, we drove no more than 45 min in any direction for a game. This year, some of our games are 90 min away or more! They're also on weeknights! We're still playing regionals so I don't know what gives. It's good practice for Provincials next year I guess, but I was looking forward to having one more year close to home!

October 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
That sucks....FIL's girlfriend's son is similar for soccer, only because they live out in the middle of nowhere, and its not provincials or anything but routinely have to drive close to 2 hours away.

The busiest of my week is over! I got to see Cam for more than 20 minutes...it was great!!!!!

So glad its a long weekend this weekend though!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Everyone must be busy for Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm feeling kind of bad. My mom and I discussed having our Thanksgiving dinner tonight, Saturday, because we are going to DH's parent's on Sunday and DH has to work a 12 hour shift on Monday. She had said that it wasn't a problem since she's retired and can get things done on Friday to prepare. So I left it with her and didn't say another word.

Well she didn't write it down and she forgot. Last night I made a comment to her about seeing her today for Thanksgiving and she flipped. She was planning it for Monday night at 6. That doesn't work for us because DH has to be at work for 8. I offered to help her get things ready so we could still have our meal but she turned me down. She told us no way that she could get a dinner prepare for us by tonight the turkey was still in the freezer.

I don't know how late she stayed up last night but I got a phone call this morning that the pies were made, the turkey would be cooked and we were to be there tonight as planned.

I feel bad though because I either should have reminded her long before I did, or made sure it was on her calendar or something. Maybe it's time that I start taking over some of the holiday meals. I hate to see her rush this much for our family.

October 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
oh no! I hope your mom didnt stay up too late, but im glad you will all still get to have dinner together

October 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I'd feel guilty too. But since she went to the extra trouble, I hope you had a good dinner!!!!

My parents hoard the turkey days, they make turkey soup after and even bought 3 extra turkeys so they can do them on random weekends lol. We need to start having them over more often though, every Sunday we typically go to them. But that's mainly because my 4 siblings live at home and its a toss up as to who will be home for dinner and its hard to plan...so my mom makes a feast and then they eat leftovers all week lol.

Our turkey day is tomorrow. Then the Oktoberfest parade and hopefully a pumpkin patch on Monday!

Today...I went car shopping. I just wanted to test drive. But I have a refundable deposit on a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I love. Everything is signed, financing is good to go, all conditional on my go ahead on Tuesday just to sleep on it a few nights....I'm just nervous about adding an additional expense and then going on mat leave. And I need an insurance quote. But mostly having car payments again freaks me out. I haven't had car payments in 4 years. But it would be SUPER tight to get 2 carseats in the liberty. As of now, Cam needs to be behind the passenger seat, and anyone in the passenger seat is practically in the dashboard because there's just not enough room for his convertible. So unsafe because of the airbag. But I don't want to buy a cheaper car just for a few years and then get rid of it, I like to buy and keep till it dies (I'm getting $2,800 trade-in on a vehicle I paid $18K for 6 years ago, and now is 10 years old).

Although in this case, would it be better to get something cheaper and sell it in a few years? I'm not sure how things work on trade-ins when there's still a lien on them. Ugh, so stressful lol!

Jess
October 12th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Trade ins don't work as well if you still owe on the vehicle. Usually you only get enough back to cover what you owe. If you're considering something for just a few years I'd look into leasing.

It was a fantastic meal. I don't know how mom did it! She had the turkey with stuffing and cranberries, potatoes with gravy, cauliflower with cheese sauce, homemade cheese biscuits, jello for the kids, devilled eggs, 3 kinds of pickles, olives and beet pickles plus both an apple and pumpkin pie. She got all that ready in less than 24 hours. I ate way too much.

It's not even 9pm and I'm debating heading to bed already.

October 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Yum! Countdown to my dinner...3.5 hours

Jess
October 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I'm still recovering from dinner last night. 6 hours until my next turkey dinner. I need to find some stretchy pants for tonight.

October 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We had an awesome Thanksgiving dinner today at Troy's family dinner. Turkey with all the fixings, and about 6 different desserts. I'm stuffed!

DH also doesn't have to work night shift tonight because of the holiday, so we're having a little date night at home as soon as we can get these kids to bed
October 13th, 2013, 06:32 PM
ate way too much turkey tonight

October 13th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hope you found some stretchy pants Caroline, I deliberately wore maternity pants that were on the big side so I could expand...but there's already not a lot of room for both food and baby in there LOL.

Hope you have a wonderful date night Chantelle!

Hope you get over the turkey-itis soon Bree!

I made a plate for Cam...like obviously a small one. I assumed he'd maybe eat half and I'd get to eat the other half. He ate the entire thing. And some of my squash. And dessert. And some cheese and an arrowroot while waiting. And a pouch I brought in case he didn't like it. Holy cow. Breakfast he also had yogurt, grapes and oatmeal. And then we went grocery shopping and in the store he had 3 ritz cracker and cheese whiz sandwich things (DH bought them, and we were all out of his regular snacks...I despise cheese whiz lol). I'm guessing growth spurt!

Jess
October 13th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Must be the time of year, Andrew ate more tonight than I've ever seen him eat and he ate a lot last night at my parent's too. His poor little tummy was bulging tonight, even his little belly button had popped out and yet he was begging for more food.

I found loose pants and didn't put on a belt tonight, it worked much better than jeans. I'm still way over full though.

Happy Thanksgiving ladies, diets start Tuesday! LOL

October 14th, 2013, 05:50 AM
i wish my kids ate like that! Will devoured the peas last night and Ross went to town on pumpkin pie but thats about it

October 14th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Super Mommy
My parents and sister came over for Thanksgiving weekend so our 1-bedroom apartment was a little crowded. I don't have a car, so when they offered to go to Costco, I jumped at the chance to get a bunch of stuff. Well, we ended up getting Marcos' Christmas presents right away. He will be 5.5 months at Christmas so it's not like he's going to realize what's going on, and the toys we got he's a bit too small to play with them just yet so we'll take them out for him in December.

Marcos was super cranky all weekend. I'm not sure if it's because my family was over and it disrupted his routine, or if it's because he's going through the 12-week growth spurt. He's been feeding quite a bit and spending all day awake and not wanting to sleep. The growth spurts are supposed to last a few days and after it's over they are supposed to be super tired, and I think that is what is going on. In the mornings he is usually pretty smiley and playful but this morning he kept on whining and fell asleep, which is kind of weird for him. I hope that means it's over and I get my happy little baby back!
October 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Cam's belly was bulging too!!!! He thought it was hilarious and kept lifting up his shirt

Growth spurts happen. Have you also checked out the wonder weeks? I can't remember exactly when the earlier ones happen but it could also be a wonder week. Yay for Costco trips btw!!!!

I'm debating getting a membership. They are coming to Manulife on the 22nd and we can get a discounted one. With 2 in diapers and me back on mat leave, buying things in bulk will be helpful...just debating if its worth it.

Went to the parade this morning...knew it was going to be hit or miss. Cam LOOOOOOVED it...especially the bands with drums. And the horses. And the motorcycles. He lasted almost an hour and 15 minutes...considering this is the child that won't watch TV for more than 2 minutes, that was a huuuuuge success. The parade is typically 2-2.5 hours, so I didn't think we would see the whole thing. And it was nice since we weren't battling everyone else to leave lol. Then we went to the pumpkin patch where he was having fun on haybales, cozying up to some calves (one licked his jacket lol, and he was trying to lead it around on its chain similar to what he does with Bama...that made me nervous and he was upset when I took him away). He also attempted to eat a gourd.... All in all a great holiday Monday! Beautiful perfect fall weather!

Jess
October 14th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Super Mommy
I split the cost of the membership with my sister. Since she has the car and goes more often, the card is in her name and she has it. When she comes to visit, we all go together and she brings me as her "guest". A lot of people have those kind of arrangements, so it only costs them $22.50.

I bought a big case of wipes this weekend but didn't need any diapers cause I actually bought a whole bunch last week at Loblaws on clearance (Pampers - $28.50 + tax for a case of 204). I can't believe we're already moving to size 3 diapers. but Marcos is a big baby. Most strangers that ask me his age are shocked that he's only 12 weeks cause most think he's like 6 months!
October 14th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I love my Costco membership. You have to watch, not everything is cheaper there, but some things really are. Cheese is what I buy most often there, I swear I pay for my membership in just what I save on cheese.

October 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Super Mommy
There are also things at Costco that you can't find in any other stores, which is nice too.
October 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Mmmm....cheese.....lol.

Yeah they have lighting that interests me too, I can't find what I like anywhere.

Back to the grind today. Apparently there was some frost last night but I still can't breathe so I don't believe it

Jess
October 15th, 2013, 07:38 AM
The kids are back at school today! After 4 days of noise I have a quiet house.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search