Canadian Prices Rant

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Looking for Cam's big Christmas present. The EXACT same item in Walmart.com is $379. Hop over to Walmart.ca and its $498!!!!!

SUPER frustrating.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep. Saw someone from the states comlaining about the price of groceries and posted her receipt. She paid a whole $50 for all that.....well, come to Ontario, buy the exact same stuff for $250. I dont go near financial boards here anymore. $50 for a two foot long receipt?? I'll take that!!
ToonTownGirlie likes this.

October 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to start shopping in the US!

October 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Isn't it annoying!? It's because of the import taxes and regulations.. the stores are forced to charge more. I've seen lumber stamped with maple leaves cheaper in the US because of "Import fees in Canada" What?!?!.. the sad part is, if you buy in the states without staying down for 48+ hours you might pay enough at the border to balance it out.... Luckily you can sometimes get through without paying (on smaller, cheaper imports) But that said, it's also worth shopping around!

October 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Walmart is the ONLY store that seems to carry it...its a Dodge Ram motorized ride on toy. Tons of places have Ford F150s but DH has a Dodge Ram and so he wants Cam to have a Dodge Ram....and I'll be honest, the Ram is pretty cool looking. I'm hoping they start popping up in other stores before Christmas and that the price goes down a bit....otherwise we may ask the grandparents to help contribute to his big present...we'll see. $498 for one gift is just not in the cards for us.

Jess
October 8th, 2013, 08:57 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
It really is insane! And it's most of the reason we do black friday shopping in the US, well, that and it's just fun
October 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Super Mommy
I'd be too stressed out to go shopping in the US on Black Friday. I hate being in a crowded store full of people, not being able to browse properly cause everyone is in front of you grabbing the items in front of your face, tripping over people's kids running around, crazy aggressive ladies with shopping carts plowing into everyone, staff too swamped to provide actual service.... That's why I also stay home while everyone else goes Boxing Day shopping. My husband works as a cashier for a big box store right in the Eaton Centre and says it's a real circus every single year.
October 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
yikes thats crazy! id think about driving to buffalo to buy it myself

October 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Went out once on boxing day, what a waste of time. Where were all the sales?? We went home.

October 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Super Mommy
That's what happened last year when they tried to do a "Canadian" Black Friday for the first time. People were totally disappointed because in the end, things were only marked down like 20%, which is not that big of a deal. Definitely no deals worth putting gas in your car and paying for a parking spot downtown!
October 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I remember that last year, so disappointing.

I go for clothes on boxing day, usually Old Navy for DH, and maybe one other store for me. DH drops me off, I do my thing while he circles the parking lot (or the block or whatnot) and I am in and out within 15 minutes usually.

We were thinking of poping over the boarder to get it but by the time we spend the gas for his truck it won't be worth it.

Jess
October 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah, unless you live in Windsor/Sarnia or the Niagara area, most of the time it's not really worth it.
October 9th, 2013, 10:24 AM
When I lived in sarnia I was warned not to eat american food cause Ive never had it so it will make me sick. The next year my boyfriend came home from work with a huge ham and cheese sandwich. I looked at it and said "It's american dont eat it" He asked how I could tell, it was from K Mart. Shortly after his step dad called saying him and MIL were suddenly very sick and didnt know why. He had one too and shared it with her. They were given to them by their boss who went to Port Huron. Needless to say he threw it out and said I was right. That is why I'll never get my passport whats the point?

October 9th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
Really? I lived in both Mexico and Cuba, ate food right off the street almost every day and never had a problem. Once in Cuba, I ate a cake that was literally sold off the back of a truck. It was fine!
October 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Regular
My DF is a long haul truck driver, and is down in the states all the time (more than he is actually home) and he has told me about the things that are way cheaper down there. It's easier and less expensive to eat healthy down there. Here it costs an arm and a leg and it's ridiculous.

Maybe after baby is born we will go down for a trip and get some stuff down there... can bring it back in the big truck and easier for me to sleep in too! LOL

Conceived #1 with Endo & PCOS with no medical help, it's just meant to be!!!
ETD April 11, 2014
Head over heels in Love with my DF - engaged August 31, 2013

October 10th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalia20 View Post
When I lived in sarnia I was warned not to eat american food cause Ive never had it so it will make me sick. The next year my boyfriend came home from work with a huge ham and cheese sandwich. I looked at it and said "It's american dont eat it" He asked how I could tell, it was from K Mart. Shortly after his step dad called saying him and MIL were suddenly very sick and didnt know why. He had one too and shared it with her. They were given to them by their boss who went to Port Huron. Needless to say he threw it out and said I was right. That is why I'll never get my passport whats the point?
We live on the border in a very under populated area. The closest Canadian grocery store is over an hour away, but 20 mins away is the American one. We buy everything but dairy and meat. The only difference really is the hormones in those American foods. It's otherwise completely the same. It's likely just coincidence that they got sick... it also could be the place it was purchased from... people get food poisoning in Canada too you know. It is too bad you feel that having a passport isn't worth it. There are so many things to do and places to see in American and around the world that require that document. I'd hate for anyone to miss out because of misinformation.

October 12th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Sorry it's not misinformation. I know lots of people in Sarnia that have lived there their whole lives that warn people that move there not to eat american food cause it will make them sick, they dont listen and they get sick. Im not far from a border crossing where I am now and same thing. I will not waste my money or my families health on something Ive seen with my own eyes many times, in more than one location. I even know a family that moved to the states and came back that doesnt eat junk food and they came back overweight from the chemicals they use. No thanks.

October 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
It's no wonder so many people I know go on annual trips to the states to do their Christmas shopping etc.... The price of gas also burns my gears... Esp in my province.

After 15 long years, our miracle is now here...
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014
We are over the moon happy!!! <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com

October 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I don't pay attention to prices in the US. I live here.
October 16th, 2013, 08:05 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The US doesn't do the Boxing Day thing like we do, their big sale is Black Friday, so going down expecting a Boxing Day sale is a waste of time. The sales in November are often awesome! I did most of my Christmas shopping there last year, the only thing I did find was shortly after I shopped there, Costco got some of the toys in here. They also get the cool toys on the shelves before we do.

As far as the food there, I know people who take a trip there every other week and buy all their groceries. It's way cheaper to feed a family there than it is here! I've never heard of anyone getting sick on US food anymore than someone getting sick here on Canadian food. In fact I've had food poisoning more often after eating in a Canadian restaurant than I have from eating in a US one. I've eating food from grocery stores there, fast food, sit down restaurants and resorts, never had a problem, and neither has anyone else that I know personally.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search