*~*December Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did some Christmas baking today since I couldn't go anywhere for a second day with sick kids. At least I'm feeling some better. I got 10 dozen shortbread made and 4 dozen peanut butter snowballs made. I have sugar cookies made, I just have to get them rolled out and baked. Problem is I ran out of fridge space so I stuck them outside to chill and now they are a little on the frozen side.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to at very least finish DD2's skirt, if I don't get her dress done then so be it I still need a package of lace to finish it because I ran short, Tuesday DH is home so I may get a chance to finish my shopping, and then it's just wrapping my little heart out.

Sorry Cam is sick, hopefully he gets better soon. It's terrible when little ones are sick this close to Christmas.

December 15th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
What on earth do you do with all this baking?!?! 10 DOZEN!?! of ONE kind of cookie? That's amazing! I'm coming to your house! I haven't been able to do any baking for us.

Hope you get stuff done this week.

I may have to take tomorrow off work because croup is contagious :/ I have a pretty big meeting in the afternoon so I'm debating going to grab my computer from work, and then leaving him with my mom in the afternoon during the meeting. She was going to grab him for me from daycare since this meeting will probably go late...I just need some time to prep for it!

I also have an issue.....my daycare lady mentioned on Friday that Cam was the only one there in the afternoon. So when he was napping, she popped out to do her groceries, leaving her 16 year old son with Cam. I am not ok with this. This is not what I agreed to. Am I being unrealistic? I was too shocked to say anything on Friday so I just left. But I really feel I need to say something. But I hate confrontation. This was also after she said Cam ate 5 timbits. FIVE. He's 16 months old. He does not need 5 timbits...within 2 hours. He had a major sugar crash at 5:00 on Friday and was a nightmare basically until he went to bed. I just don't want to feel like I'm attacking her or anything because he loves going there and he loves her, but I'm not really ok with this. What is the best way to approach this? I do pick ups and drop offs due to DHs hours so him talking to her isn't really an option without making it seem like a huge deal.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Super Mommy
Is it the 16-year-old that let him eat all those Tim Bits, or was it her?

I don't think it's right for her to have her kid watch your son while she runs off and does her groceries. We all have groceries to do but we don't do them while we're running on our employer's clock. I don't see how it's any different for her.
December 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM
She did. He gets timbits there all the time...much more often than I like which I think leads to his sugar crashes and the bad nights. Usually on Fridays and sometimes one other day during the week. And then I had bought him a cupcake from a bakesale at work and I felt I couldn't give it to him (he got it today instead). Her ad said "healthy snacks"...and timbits weren't part of the examples she gave me when we first started talking. I was letting it go because he's going to stay home with me starting at the end of March, but now this whole leaving him with her son thing just kinda blew that out of the water.

Cam was asleep the whole time she was gone, but I just think "what if". And I agree, I don't get to leave work to do my personal errands. Plus I don't know this kid...I have seen him once in passing. And he was home sick from school. Its just random "what ifs" that really bug me.

Jess
December 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM
And the last of my cookies are out of the oven 11.5 dozen sugar cookies. I'm tired!

I'm going to speak as a daycare provider not a parent for a moment. I have left the children I care for in the care of another adult for things such as doctor's appointments or to go on a field trip with my own kids. The adult (my Mom) was introduced to the children's parents in advance and all are given advanced notice so they have the choice of bringing their children or finding alternate care if they aren't comfortable with the arrangements. I have also run short errands with children in my care. I haven't had a parent yet have an issue with it and most seem appreciative that they don't have to arrange care for my time off. That being said, I'd never leave the children in my care with someone who is themselves underage, or that the parents didn't know well, or without advance notice (exception, something bad happens to me or one of my children and I need to make a quick trip to the doctors or hospital). Leaving a child with a teen who you haven't met is taking it too far. I don't care if Cam was asleep or not!

I would also give the kids treats that weren't on my "healthy list" for things like birthdays, holiday parties and occasionally just because. But timbits definitely shouldn't be a regular treat and 5 at one time is excessive! It makes me wonder what else she's feeding him!

Something needs to be said or it's going to keep happening. Would it be easier to write it out in a note to her instead of talking to her? I know that there isn't always a lot of time at drop off and pick ups for chatting and kids are distracting. Otherwise, just make it short and sweet, tell her that leaving Cam with her son that you haven't even met makes you uncomfortable. She may just claim "it was no big deal" and all you have to reply is that it is to you. Same with the timbits, tell her that Cam having that much sugar is upsetting him and ask if there is a different treat he can have instead. Maybe an arrowroot cookie, its still something sweet and treat like but not as much sugar as a timbit.

Good luck, I hate confrontation, so I know how you feel.
Jessimaaka likes this.

December 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I can understand having to leave kids with another adult (preferably another trained in first aid ect) if you have an emergency or appointment, its pretty typical for home care people to have someone as their "back up" but thats something that should have been discussed/mentioned to you prior to that person ever being left with the children. I have a friend who does home daycare, he back up is a neighbour who has met all the children and their parents when they first join her care so that if something ever arises no one is surprised or upset with the new person there.

Leaving cam with her 16 year old son is completely unacceptable IMO, im sure her child is a great kid, but unless you agree'd to have him be alone with Cam then it wasnt ok of her to leave him in charge. Im probably way overreacting, but my first reaction was honest to god i would find someone else to watch my kids, because for me that was a breach of my trust and im not sure id be able to trust her with my children anymore.

December 16th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't have preggo mama overprotective FTM syndrome. Same with DH.

Thank you Caroline for coming from the other side. I would TOTALLY understand if it was someithing that needed to be done, I was told in advance, I knew who it would be etc. That's perfectly fine with me - although chances are if my mom or sister were around I'd get them to grab him. It was the fact that it was groceries (not urgent in any way) and I wasn't told till after. And the timbits, I've never let him have more than 2 at a time, and that was at the parade. We just don't get timbits, we carry around arrowroots (lol I love that you used a good example) simply because its cheaper.

I didn't say anything this morning. I'm such a chicken. But since Cam wasn't quite 100%, we talked about that instead. I almost kept him home, but he was happy, rambunctious etc. so I let him go, and she will text me to grab him if he starts a fever or anything. My sister is picking him up (we already arranged this), so I'll mention it tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I should pick my battles or mention both issues? I'd be looking for a new place for him if he wasn't going to be done in like 3 months. I doubt anyone else would take him on for 3 months, especially when I'm off the next 2 weeks starting Friday. He loves going there, will actually nap there, I don't want to cause him more disruption in the next few months than necessary

Jess
December 16th, 2013, 10:34 AM
it sounds like its a regular occurrence (The timbits) so id probably say something like you dont mind if he has a treat but youd rather him only have 1 timbit at a time because the sugar affects him negatively in the evening

December 16th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I need to say something tomorrow. I can't drag this out.

Jess
December 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
ya, it really is better to just get it out there and over with. I dont like confrontation either, but if she doesnt know its not ok with you, she will keep doing it. Hopefully she wont get defensive and you can just move past it and be on the same page from now on

December 16th, 2013, 08:23 PM
That's my hope. I mean, looking at it, if I did something that my staff weren't a fan of, I'd rather know they're not happy.

Although my plan right now is to keep him home tomorrow...he starts off great and then starts to fade by 11am. Poor guy.

Jess
December 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Poor little guy. I hope he gets feeling better soon.

It's all coming together. I'm now almost done DS's busy book. I only have the waistband to put on DD2's skirt and her dress is all cut and ready to sew, the top part is done, I just need to finish the skirt part and attach it. Then all my handmade gifts are ready for wrapping. Here's hoping I can finish before they get out of school on Thursday, otherwise it will be some late nights while I finish after they are in bed. It wouldn't be the first time, my DH tells me it's a Christmas tradition that I'm still sewing at midnight on Christmas Eve.

Now wrapping, that's a whole different story. Maybe I can just toss it all under the tree and let them fight over who gets what.

December 17th, 2013, 05:32 AM
im glad youre almost done caroline! that all sounds like it was a lot of work, it must feel great to be almost finished

December 17th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I'll post some pictures when I'm done. My sewing projects that is, not the wrapping.

December 17th, 2013, 07:00 AM
i cant wait to see them

December 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Super Mommy
I'm supposed to fly from Toronto to Ottawa this weekend for the Holidays but they're announcing a storm. I'm kind of stressed out about my flight being cancelled or delayed. Sunday is still a long ways from now, so keeping my fingers crossed!
December 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
hopefully it wont be too bad. Its calling for a bit of snow here over the weekend, but its a still a bit off, it could change! Fingers crossed

December 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Yay for finishing things up Caroline! Can't wait to see pictures!

Hope the weather cooperates Jessifer!

Home today with Cam...he was the same as yesterday and yesterday he faded fast. No sign of that today...and it was our work christmas lunch that I missed And I'm exhausted as he has not given me a break. No afternoon nap...this sucks!

Jess
December 17th, 2013, 12:24 PM
i hope your day gets better. Im glad cam is feeling alright today though, but those long days suck!

December 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Aww, that sucks that you missed your Christmas lunch. I'm glad Cam is feeling better though.

I only have 3 pages left for DS's busy book left! One I'm hoping to finish tonight because it needs a sewing machine. The other two are just gluing. Tomorrow morning I'm braving the weather to go get the lace I need to finish DD2's dress and then it's just sewing my little heart out. I can do this!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search