*~*December Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
You can Caroline!

OMG, this child finally took a half hour nap in the car...meaning I couldn't even do my errands because I didn't want to wake him. And then went to bed at 8pm after a total meltdown. I am exhausted. And Cam shared his cold with me. Thank goodness adults typically don't get croup.

Oh and Caroline, I left his bedroom window cracked last night all night and it was perfect, it lowered the temp in his room maybe 3-4 degrees and it was perfect. Did it again tonight. I was worried since he doesn't sleep with covers or anything (his choice, I leave a blanket in there) but he was perfectly fine. Thank you for the suggestion!!!! He did spend a few hours with DH and I last night....he laid his head on my belly, and his feet in DH's face...LOL.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 17th, 2013, 09:05 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I spoke too soon. I should have known better than to say things were going well. I'm sitting here just wanting to cry tonight. I'm not even sure I'll be able to finish DS's book or DD2's dress now. I need to go shopping to get a couple things to finish and I don't have the money to do it. Which means I also don't have the money for DH's present or to fill his stocking. I seriously hate being this tight with money, I hate that I have to go back to work 2 years sooner than I had planned and I hate that all DH and I do is argue because we're both so stressed. Sorry, I don't mean to dump on you, I'm just upset and don't know what I'm going to do about it.

December 17th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Now that I got that out of my system. I'm glad cracking Cam's window worked for you. I love how little ones decide to sleep when they sleep with us. That's too funny!

December 18th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
((Hugs)) i hope you can get everything done. Money issues suck

December 18th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Super Mommy
To save money, DH and I never buy each other presents (our anniversary is tomorrow and I'm expecting zero). I'm sure if money is tight, your husband won't care if he gets a gift or not.
December 18th, 2013, 05:51 AM
We don't exchange between us, per say, but the kids always get a gift for Daddy and he expects a "Santa" gift under the tree. One year I didn't get him a Santa gift and he has never let me live it down.

I'm just frustrated. I didn't want to go back to work for 2 more years until DS was in school, but I'm having to go back now. I have my first interview tomorrow morning. I don't even know what I'm going to wear, I've been home for over 6 years I have no interview clothing or even office style clothes left and I don't have the money to go buy any either.

December 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Good luck this morning Caroline! We're thinking of you. Considering you have accounting office experience, that type of experience is always in demand. I'm sorry you have to go back earlier than planned though

I hope you're able to sort out everything to your satisfaction.

And this child has gifted me a cold. My nose is so stuffed up and is red from blowing it. Gah.

Jess
December 18th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Super Mommy
When I had to do interviews straight out of university, I had no money for interview clothes either, so I picked up a pair of dress pants and a blouse at the salvation army for like $10 total. It was not my best-looking outfit but it did the trick until I got a job and had money coming in to buy decent stuff.

I know it's frustrating to have to go back to work, but at least you are fortunate enough to have some interviews lined up. DH has been trying to get an entry-level accounting position since August and has not had a single callback.
December 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I was going to suggest a thrift store too caroline, or do you have someone who might be able to loan you something for the interview?

December 18th, 2013, 12:42 PM
What kind of entry-level Jessifer?

My direct report that was due 2 weeks after me in 2012 was on contract. She's also having issues finding something since her position with me was contract and no longer exists Since the slow down in 2008, companies are finally starting to focus on growth again and should be hiring. I only look at postings in my area but Manulife has a corporate office in TO and I'm sure tons of postings there too.

Caroline we are anxiously awaiting an update!

Jess
December 18th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Interview is tomorrow morning at 10:00am I have no update yet.

I called my mom this morning to find out what time she wanted me to come out and to tell her that I wouldn't be going shopping and we wouldn't be finishing the gifts, at least not today. She took pity on me and took me shopping. She bought me the last 3 things I needed to finish the gifts and a new outfit for my interview! I now have a nice burgundy buttoned top with a collar, a dark grey pair of dress pants and a new pair of flat dress shoes. It's not top quality, think walmart clearance rack, but it's nice and will make me look somewhat professional tomorrow.

I'm so nervous! I need to take references with me tomorrow, but I don't know if I should be bringing pen and paper too, or what I should put it in to bring it with me, and I've never done a group interview before so I have no idea what to expect.

December 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
im glad your mom was able to help you out <3 Im sure your interview will go great! ive never heard of a group interview before though, sounds cool though, i think id feel less nervous if i wasnt the only person being interviewed.

id bring a small pad of paper and pen, something you can keep in your purse, then youve got it if you need it and if not you didnt lug around a huge pad of paper for nothing

i cant wait to hear how it goes, youll have to update us when you get back, i know you didnt want to go back to work so soon but i hope it goes really well for you

December 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Group interviews are becoming really popular around here. So many people are applying for so few positions that companies call in 10-15 all at once and start weeding out people that way, the second interview is usually one on one.

For this one I didn't even get anything personalized. It was just a mass email sent out with a date and a time, those who show up are interested and those who don't aren't. I don't particularly like it, it feels like a cattle call to me, but if I want a job I have to do it.

December 18th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Super Mommy
Jessica: He's looking for ANY entry-level position with some kind of accounting component to it. Even just bookkeeping. He just finished his 2-year accounting program but he has zero experience in the field so it's been tough finding something. All the postings for "entry-level" position are asking for 2-5 years experience. How exactly is that entry-level? It's ridiculous. Even when I left for mat leave, they posted my position and the qualifications they were asking for were totally laughable. By their standards, I wouldn't even qualify to do my own job (and I'm very good at what I do)!!!
December 19th, 2013, 06:06 AM
OK, is it this nerve wracking every time you go for an interview? I'm so nervous that I'm shaking and think I'm going to be sick! This is not good!

December 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Oh, for some reason Caroline I thought you posted the night before. You can do this!

I've never been to a group interview. Its an interesting concept though. I'll be thinking of you! And no matter how many interviews you go on, it doesn't get any better...I had like 3 in one week once and totally almost vomited right before each one. I hate them with a passion. I've interviewed to hire and I still get nervous so keep in mind that its not a pleasant process from the other side either

Jessifer, one way he might want to search is "new grad" rather than entry-level. They typically don't require experience.

Less than 2 days and I'm on holidays for almost 2 weeks...YAY!!!!!

Jess
December 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM
you are going to do great caroline!!! im sure being nervous is normal, especially when youve been home with your kids for 6+ years

December 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Can't wait to hear how things went!!!!!

Jess
December 19th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Well, that was the weirdest interview I've ever done! There were 6 of us, only 2 of us were for the position I was applying for the rest were for another position they are also hiring. The poor interviewer was having a hard time keeping people under control, everyone got chatting and off on tangents, the poor woman couldn't even ask us a question without someone interrupting. I'm a little shyer than that and didn't say much, but thankfully for me I ended up sitting right beside the interviewer, so she started asking me questions personally and just let the rest of them talk. Finally she asked me if I had a valid police check and a recent TB test. I told her I could get a copy of my check but that no I've never had a TB test. She suggested that I get one and told me where to go get one and the type of test I needed and said that she'd call me in the new year if not sooner to set things up. Then she told me I could go, stood up shook my hand and repeated that she'd be talking to me soon. The others in the room couldn't figure out what had just happened or why I was leaving. We'd been there for almost 2 hours at that point though, I have no idea how much longer she may have continued with the rest of them. Not to jinx myself but I'm taking it as a good sign.
Jessimaaka likes this.

December 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
that sounds like it worked out well for you then! hopefully she gets back to you soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search