School Lunch Rules

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2013, 11:43 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to try to link this from FB, I hope it works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

What would you do if this was sent home with your grade 2 student? Do you agree with it?

December 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i would pack my kid a roast every day just to spite em

I fully support making acomdations for children with allergies, so i have no problems with no nuts or in the case of this classroom no eggs, but no i am not required to follow another religions dietary restrictions when packing my childs lunch (the only exception to this would be if i sent my child to a school with a religious affiliation who didnt allow certain foods, then i would respect that)

December 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Are you kidding me?

I totally get allergy related reasons. But to ban a whole classroom for religious reasons? That is insane. I realize that Canada is a multicultural country, and that we are very tolerant, but that tolerancy needs to work both ways. This is similar to the whole "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas" thing for me. My kid bringing leftover roast (good example Bree ) has absolutely NO effect on your child that does not eat cow. I would be livid!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Good to know that I'm not the only one who would be ticked. This school is not far from where I used to live. It's a public school by the way.

I find it funny that one school is charging people for not sending foods in all four food groups and one school is trying to ban a whole food group.

December 6th, 2013, 04:50 AM
honestly i think that if your kid is unable to be in the same room as people eating meat for religious reasons you need to either take your kid home for lunch, ask the school to get your kid a room where they can eat their lunch alone or away from people eating those thing (like maybe they can eat in the office or something) or homeschool your kid/send your kid to a school with your religious affiliation

December 6th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Its inappropriate for sure.

I hate mushrooms, the smell makes me nauseous, but even as a child I wouldn't have dreamed of asking someone not to eat them around me. I just dealt.

And if you do not eat a food for religious reasons, its your job as a parent to teach your child not to eat that food (lunch trading etc.).

I was thinking the same thing Caroline...that definitely cuts out any version of protien in a lunch!

Allergy related is fair (sucks for those that love PB and such), but fair. Its a medical condition that can have bad consequences. But religious? That's a load of crap.

I was actually having a discussion earlier this week with my DCP....she needed more lunch ideas since her daughter is bored of her lunches. We got talking about the Manitoba thing. And then I brought this up this morning. Another vote for the "this is ridiculous" side.

Good thing you moved away!

Jess
December 6th, 2013, 07:07 AM
i wonder if this actually sticks, because i can see a huge uproar from parents, obviously if we all feel this is out of line, then im going to guess that the only people supporting this might be the religious child's parents

December 6th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I'm guessing it would be rescinded? What are they really going to do if you send something on the list? Not let the child eat? Well, maybe replace it with ritz crackers, but still! If everyone respects avoiding the true anaphylactic related food, and still sends the others, what can they really do? Suspend the whole class?

Jess
December 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM
bahaha ritz crackers! they better not charge 10 dollars for them!

December 6th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Seriously! I'm so bad for making my own lunch, I'll consider it a success if Cam gets something edible, let alone abiding by this rules!

Every time I come back to this, I get a little more outraged LOL.

Jess
December 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM
haha, i know right? my kids are so darn picky some days that if they only want to eat cheerios im cool with that. Id never be able to make a lunch good enough for some of these schools

December 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
The whole city was up in arms about this. It was even the subject of a radio talk show. I'm going to assume it won't stick, but of course that will never be reported in the news.

Jess, you're going to end up like me. Today I told to girls to make their own lunches and as long as they had one healthy thing I didn't care what else they packed.
Jessimaaka likes this.

December 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Lol!

Jess
December 7th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Super Mommy
Wow, what are these poor kids supposed to eat? Salad and crackers?

If these parents are so adamant about not exposing their children to certain things due to their religious beliefs, then they should consider home schooling or private school.

We had a family like that in my town growing up. They sent their kids to our Catholic school because the public one was quite a distance away. It was sad, cause if our school was having a pizza lunch, or even celebrating winter carnival or something like that (not even related to the Catholicism or religion), their kids were never allowed to participate. They'd have to sit in the principal's office reading a book while all of their classmates went tobaggoning outside and had hot chocolate.

Last edited by Jessifer; December 7th, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search