*~*2014 Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2014, 06:53 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They have a payment plan for the classes themselves but all the rest of the fees go to different organizations, like ScotDance, and WOHDA, and then to each competition committee, so they really can't do payment plans for those things.

I remember going to Guide camp too, and I know she's going to have a blast! She's done 2 night camps as a Brownie, but being as I was her Brownie leader this will be her first camp without me there.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow Jess. Have fun at IKEA, I love that place!

January 17th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
hope your appointment goes well today jess!

i went to guide camp once, it was i want to say 4 or 5 nights i think, it was in the summer and i was about 9 or 10, it was fun

January 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM
ProudMommy2014's Avatar Regular
I have never been to Ikea, not sure we have one here in Eastern Canada.
January 17th, 2014, 10:39 AM
oh gosh thats a shame! LOL i love ikea

January 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Would love to go to one, I hear they have really nice stuff.

What is everyone's plan for this weekend?
January 17th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Hmmm, I know we did a payment plan based on planned competitions during the year and split it out over like 9 months (Sept-May?). It might be hard with her staring mid-year. I hope you do ok with the expenses...it sucks.

So today did not go as planned. Cam did NOT sleep the entire drive there. So he was up at like 5:45. Then baby was uncooperative AGAIN, and the ultrasound that should have taken 20 minutes took an hour and 5 minutes. So then I was late for my consultation appointment so rather than having it at 8:30 (my ultrasound was at 7:30), I didn't get in 10am! SO frustrating. So then we couldn't stop at Ikea I think a trip there one weekend soon is in order...DH is a better person to come there with me though, he is the voice of reason, rather than my sister is more like "lets buy 6" lol.

Anyways, their concern before was potential IUGR, but baby is measuring 99+ percentile for everything. They asked me if I was screened for GD...I did the test 3 weeks ago, and if I failed, my midwife would have called me I would think? I see her Monday so I'll confirm. They want to do extra ultrasounds to check to make sure baby isn't too big. Gah. We'll see how things go.

Plans this weekend...DH is going to Monster Trucks tomorrow so from 2pm-ish on, its me and DS! Going to be fun! And then Sunday we have swimming lessons, and I am going to an Epicure party. And the usual cleaning, laundry, etc. My dad painted Cam's big boy room today, so I want to go get bedding! That was the idea behind going to Ikea. But I saw some at Target I like this afternoon but didn't buy since I'm not sure if it matches the curtains I already bought lol.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 17th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Looks like my weekend is going to be spent with a sick little boy. I'm starting to think he has croup. It's going to be another long fun night. I've been up since 4am when he woke up with this. He seemed fine most of the day, but now that it's night and he should be laying down he's wheezing and barking again.

January 18th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Jess you used to dance/teach dance didn't you? How are mom's supposed to help their kids at home? I seriously don't know the moves, and I'm not a dancer by any stretch of the imagination. Her teacher sent us a video of the Fling to help, but its too fast for her to keep up with. I just spent an hour watching the video transcribing every move and had position into a word document so I can talk her through it. Tell me there is an easier way!

January 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Awww, croup sucks!!!!

Having a video helps, I also used to duet with my sister so we practiced together, can she get together with one of the others in her group to practice? Count the beats since that's most likely what her teacher is doing (counts of 8...). With my baton students, I would video tape them, and we'd watch it in class and write down things to work on. Ummmm.....those are typically the ones that help the most from what I've seen. Do you get to watch her lessons? If so, write down corrections the teacher makes. My old baton teacher used to spell things out for my mom to write down, same as what you've already done. I'm sure she'll pick it up, she does have to practice though...doing it once a week and then forgetting it till the next lesson isn't quite how it works when she's competitive, she does have to work on it. I bet she'll do amazing though.

Pretty sure I have laryngitis, no voice, and haven't in like 3 days. So did nothing really today. Tomorrow I don't even want to go grocery shopping! And its my dad's birthday so we have to go to my parents. And swimming...DH refuses to go in the water so I still have to take Cam in. Wish me luck!!!!!

Jess
January 19th, 2014, 11:44 AM
That sucks Jess. I hope you're feeling better soon.

I know the corrections she's to make, she's to tighten up her feet and work on part 3 of the fling. I get to watch her lessons but only on a TV screen. They count it out but it's weird. The counting is like 1, behind, in front behind, 2, behind, in front, behind, 3, behind, in front, behind, 4 goes around in a circle. I'm happy for the video, I watched it so many times yesterday that I could almost do it with her, I was counting it in my sleep last night.

January 19th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Lol, it happens. I've totally gotten up to pee and counted in my head lol. I'm happy you're taking the time to help her, not a lot of parents would.

My voice is still gone today. Its awful lol. I'm hoping I'm better tomorrow. The pressure headache also appeared tonight, not cool at all.

Jess
January 19th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I thought it was our job as parents to help the kids. There's no way she's going to learn it as quickly as the teacher wants going for an hour once a week. When DD1 needed help learning things with ringette, I took her and got her some extra ice time. DD2 needs help learning dance moves, it's my job to either help her or get her the help she needs. I'm not going to become obsessed and have her dancing 7 days a week, but I'm going to make sure she keeps up with the class and learns what the teacher expects. We never seem to half do anything around here, it's all or nothing!

I hope your voice comes back soon, it sucks to be sick, especially when you can't take anything. DS is still sick too. He screamed for 50 minutes straight today, of course we were at a ringette game when he decided to throw his fit. Gotta love a sick tired toddler.

January 20th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I agree with that outlook, but sadly not everyone does. It makes me sad that I've seen parents sign their kids up for stuff just so they have somewhere they can drop them off and pick them up a few hours later. I mean, I don't always know the home life, but some people act like their kids are such an inconvenience.

Toddlers always do everything in public I have yet to experience an in public meltdown though, but it can't be far off. Cam's new favourite thing is to run from me in the mornin when getting ready to leave....and then throwing himself onto the dog bed and rolling in it. So he's covered in dog hair and I almost can't reach him. He thinks its hilarious. Me not so much.

Oh and you mentioned croup before...Cam was barking like a seal Saturday night...hung out on our porch for 5-10 minutes bundled up, and and then I left his window open an inch the rest of the night. Same with last night. It hasn't returned....fingers crossed!

I'm still no better...its actually painful to breathe....I have a midwife appointment this afternoon, and see what she says I can do/take, and if still no improvement by tomorrow afternoon, I'll call my doctor. It has been 5 days like this. Not a fan!

Jess
January 20th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I'm glad to cool air is helping Cam, too bad it's not helping you too. Hopefully your midwife will have some ideas for you.

I'm a pretty involved parent. My DH says I'm too involved and I need to give my kids space to do their own thing. I've never thought of myself as a helicopter parent, I let the girls go places on their own, walk to the library to take part in programs there, play at the park with friends without me and such. I just feel that if they are going to be regularly benefiting from a group or organization I should help out and do my part too. I make sure the girls are prepared, work on whatever the teacher/coach says needs to be done and volunteer when I can.

January 21st, 2014, 09:33 AM
I don't think that's necessarily helicopter parenting, I think that's part of being a parent period - key words being when you can. But I also haven't had kids at that age yet so who knows how much will change about what I think lol.

Still no voice. But it doesn't hurt as much to breathe anymore (or I've just gotten used to it?) so I didn't bother calling the doctor.

Had an AMAZING midwife appointment yesterday. The McMaster doctors wanted to recommend early induction based on ultrasounds. Its not the policy of the midwives to induce for "big" babies provided no extenuating circumstances (GD, pre-e, etc.) so right now that is not the plan!!!!! Since I was back to work for such a short time, I'm trying to work as long as I can to max my EI payment and so early induction would not work with my plans lol. So happy day to me!

Cam seems to be better except for a snotty nose which most kids have right now anyways. And he slept 11-5 last night which was fantastic. And I didn't have to go in at 5, I could just hear him talking to his monkey for 10 minutes or so. One day...he will sleep through.

Jess
January 21st, 2014, 11:04 AM
YAY! I'm glad your midwife doesn't plan on inducing you! That's great news.

Sleep is good, awesome that Cam is learning to go back to sleep without screaming for you!

January 21st, 2014, 11:11 AM
Good afternoon ladies. How is everyone today?
January 21st, 2014, 02:16 PM
its great you are so involved with the kids activities like that, like jess said so many parents just drop and dash and dont really care about the activity. I dont think being active like that is the same thing as helicopter parenting or being over involved.

Im glad cam is getting better jess, sorry youre not feeling great though, i hope youre doing better today! Yay for no inductions, my mw doesnt do them before 42 weeks unless there is an issue (and big isnt an issue IMO)

January 21st, 2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks Bree, can you tell my DH that?

So that really odd interview I went to before Christmas, I got a call back today! I'm going in Thursday to meet with her one on one. Her comment was "to continue the hiring process" so it sounds promising!

January 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Ahhh! JM just ate my post!

Gah. Morale of the story - I need to kick this cold in the butt. This has gone on long enough.

I also rambled a bit about the birth discussions I had with my midwife and why they don't induce for "big" babies.

And YAY for a callback Caroline!!!!! I'll be thinking of you on Thursday!!!!

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search