*~*2014 Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Well, most of the snowbanks around here are higher than vehicles...even DH's full size pick up truck! I took Cameron grocery shopping with me and DH wasn't even done digging us out by the time we got home (about an hour). It was such heavy snow! And at 5am, I could hear someone shovelling. Our neighbours were shovelling off their deck! I thought they were nuts! They are friends of my parents and I was telling them, and my dad couldn't sleep and he shovelled his deck off at 4am LOL. So crazy!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! We ended up going for TWO walks yesterday. And we had swimming this morning. So my lower back is KILLING me. I know when I've done too much :/

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
February 4th, 2014, 09:50 AM
....another 10cm-ish is supposed to come tonight. I seriously cannot remember when we had so much snow!

Had a midwife appointment yesterday...HB was 125....does this seem low to anyone else?

Jess
February 4th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i dont think 125 is really low, maybe the baby was sleeping or relaxing in there

February 4th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Definitely was sleeping...for once he/she wasn't hanging out in my ribs attacking my lungs lol. I cannot wait for him/her to drop. Although I'm borderline waddling as it is! I just always typically hear 140s to 160s so it seemed low to me. He/she has been kicking like mad so I'm not as concerned lol.

Jess
February 5th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies, just got back from Cuba this morning. Holy cow, the weather is crazy over here. It normally takes about 20min to get to the airport to our house but it ended up taking our taxi about an hour! Traffic was going about 20km/hr and we were slipping and sliding all over the 401 sandwiched between several transport trucks. To make things worse, Marcos was all out of sorts since we had to be up since 4am and cried inconsolably the entire taxi ride (we made sure to leave a good tip!) Scary stuff, but didn't have much of a choice than to be on the road. Where else could we have done? Then when we got home there was snow accumulated on the pathway leading to the front door so DH and I had to drag the stroller and 5 pieces of luggage through 1/2 feet of snow just to get it in the building. What a nightmare!

Anyway, we are warm and cozy now. Cuba was okay, weather could have been better (some days it was only 15-20C, which is still better than Canada but definitely not "beach" weather). DH spent quite some time arguing with his parents, particularly his mother. It's sad but it needed to be done and certain things needed to be said - my MIL is quite the character. Long story short, we decided not to invite them for a visit to Canada this summer due to my MIL's "issues" and also the fact that my in-laws argue and fight like cats and dogs and we think it's a negative and toxic environment for us to be in for an entire summer.

Other than that nasty stuff, we had a great time with DH's family and friends, managed to get away to Varadero for a few days and Marcos got to dip his feet and bum in the ocean (cried the first 2 days but on the 3rd day he enjoyed it). We got sick with the cough at some point during the trip but thankfully Marcos never had more than a 38C fever and that was quickly fixed with a bit of Tylenol. I bore the brunt of it and was coughing up a storm for several days, while DH seemed relatively okay. And when I didn't have a cough, I had allergies all day long. Crazy but true story, we decided that my in-laws second-hand mattress they bought several years ago was so crappy that we'd buy them a new one. On the last day it was brought in, my MIL was trying to sell her old mattress for $40 and they told her it was worthless, which she didn't believe. They opened the mattress up with a box cutter to see what was inside and found it stuffed with all sorts of junk like dirty old rags and sheets, mosquito netting, straw, and even hay! No wonder I had full-blown allergies the entire month! I told the guy I'd give him $5 just to get rid of the thing! Anyway, it's good to be back home and sleeping on my nice, comfy mattress again.

Hope everyone had a nice January, although I hear that the Winter here has been totally brutal so far! Guess we still have a couple more months left until we pull through!
February 6th, 2014, 04:42 AM
welcome back! sounds like quite the trip you had, i hope you got to enjoy some quiet time in the warmer weather!!!

February 6th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Super Mommy
Quiet time? In Cuba? lol... no, I'm afraid not. If it's not people yelling out to each other from one balcony to another, it's the roaring of a 50s Chevrolet engine, dogs barking, cats fighting, reggaeton music blasting, or someone yelling up and down the street at 6am that they're selling mops and brooms.

Marcos slept through most of it like a champ, though. Wish I could say the same!
February 6th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I bet you're glad to be back home! Especially after the mattress debacle! Sounds like Marcos did great! Glad to see you back

So my boss has either bronchitis or pnemonia...she's due in June and apparently the only way to tell the difference between the two is a chest x-ray...which they won't do. I'm hoping she didn't pass it on to me! Poor girl though, she's miserable!

Been up since 5am. Last night was AWFUL. I can't even blame it on teething. His next ones should be his eye teeth and they're not even swollen or anything, no indication whatsoever. He was just up every hour or so. Wanting a drink or a cuddle. Early bedtime for me tonight!

Bree, did you have homebirths? For some reason I feel like you did? We started having the pain management techniques chat at my last midwife appointment and need advice! I knew this going in, but my midwife cannot administer an epi. I've been keeping it at the back of my mind but now have to focus on techniques. Based on my description of my labour last time, they think I bypassed early labour, which is when most techniques (massage, water, tens machines, etc.) are effective. So we're trying to figure out my plan of action lol. I've started hypnobabies again, mostly for the Joyful Affirmations part, since it did not seem to work for me last time, so I need another back up plan! I can labour in the tub at the hospital but cannot give birth in there apparently. Any ideas would be VERY much appreciated. Also as a vbac candidate, I will have an IV lock in my arm (don't need to have an IV though, just the access), and they want continuous monitoring, although my midwife has said she'll follow me around wherever I want and let me do my thing and she'll just monitor me as necessary (the two conditions are hospital requirements not her requirements). Anyways, yeah, any tips/tricks?

Caroline....where are you?!?! Hope you're having a fantastic first week of work!!!!!

Jess
February 6th, 2014, 09:15 AM
i did have homebirths, i studied hypnobabies when i was pregnant with Will, im not sure if i really used the techniques or not, i just got through contractions by closing my eyes and just breathing, and just trying to relax and let my body do its thing. Im not sure if thats really helpful to you or not, I also found labouring in the tub to be nice for me. Seriously i just laid in bed or the tub with my eyes closed pretty much the whole time (though for the first couple hours i chatted between contractions, until they got right on top of each other)

I feel like i should add i have pretty quick births, im not sure id have natural births if i had to be in labour for like 8-12 hours like many people do

February 6th, 2014, 05:33 PM
My labour with Cam was 5 hours until I started pushing. If he was in the right position, I'm sure I wouldn't have been pushing for 2.5 hours and then emergency c-section I'm banking on it being quicker since they say *typically* subsequent labours tend to be quicker! My first plan was to just power through it, but I don't know if I can. Ok, breathing I can do!!!!!

I may have more questions as we get closer....

Jess
February 7th, 2014, 08:49 AM
my labours were 6 hours, 3 hours and 2.5 hours (in that order) you have totally got this!! Did you get an epi with Cam (i know you had a C/S so obviously you had something at that point but prior to that?)

February 7th, 2014, 08:54 AM
honestly i think the best thing you can do is go into with an open mind, I know you would really like a natural birth but you are planning on being at the hospital so if you really feel like you need an epi (or some other pain med) at any point you can have one, its an option. Taking that option off the table entirely is scary, labour hurts! birth hurts! You CAN do it without pain meds but if you decide you dont want to thats ok too

February 8th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that was with an epi. And I agree, it will be there as an option. I just want to avoid being transferred to the doctor on call (hospital policy if an epi is requested). Even if I am, my midwife will stay with me. I went in with an open mind last time and as soon as they said they could admit me because I was a 4 I was begging for the epi hahahaha! But I also had back labour, so I think that contributed to it. I'm working with my midwife for optimal positioning, and hoping that if he/she is positioned correctly, I can do what I need to do. We'll see how it goes. I am definitely aware that nothing ever goes as planned though

I am SO sick of these cold temps and being stuck inside! Its too cold to go out and get some fresh air because of the wind! I can't wait for warmer temps!

Jess
February 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies. I'm still around. I've just been hiding out recently. I didn't get any hours at all last week and it really bummed me out. My first shift will be Tuesday with my own client. I'm not sure what happened to the vacation time I was supposed to be covering.

My anxiety has been through the roof recently. I got into my doctor and I'm back on my meds that I've been off of since I got pregnant with DS. They're helping some but not as much as I was hoping. I'll still pop in but I'm working on taking back control of my life again.

February 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks for checking in Caroline! Glad you are taking control. Hope your first day with your own client goes well tomorrow!

Jess
February 11th, 2014, 04:43 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOW can't believe your already 32 weeks preggy Jess! Can't wait to find out what you have lol My first birth was 16 hours long (3 hours pushing, vacuum assisted) I got en epi with him, he was a big boy at 10lbs 2oz. But my last 2 labors I did totally drug free, you can do it!!

Ugh hurry spring, so sick of sitting in this house!! LOL
Jessimaaka likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 11th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety_pie View Post
WOW can't believe your already 32 weeks preggy Jess! Can't wait to find out what you have lol My first birth was 16 hours long (3 hours pushing, vacuum assisted) I got en epi with him, he was a big boy at 10lbs 2oz. But my last 2 labors I did totally drug free, you can do it!!

Ugh hurry spring, so sick of sitting in this house!! LOL
Just out of curiosity, were your other two babies fairly big as well?

For my size (5"2, 120lbs) I had a pretty big baby (8lbs 13oz) and have a narrow pelvis so I was recommended c-section. Even my husband is a pretty small guy, so we were surprised. I am wondering about the odds of having another large baby for my next pregnancy, or maybe mine was just a fluke?
February 11th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Holy cow! Christian is over 4 months already?!?! That is CRAZY!!!!

This pregnancy is flying by. I need to start really getting organized!

I think every pregnancy is different so prior birth weight isn't necessarily a predictor. That said, lots of people have all their babies within a similar weight range. Its not something that can be predicted.

I am so ready for no more snow.

Jess
February 11th, 2014, 08:52 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessifer View Post
Just out of curiosity, were your other two babies fairly big as well?

For my size (5"2, 120lbs) I had a pretty big baby (8lbs 13oz) and have a narrow pelvis so I was recommended c-section. Even my husband is a pretty small guy, so we were surprised. I am wondering about the odds of having another large baby for my next pregnancy, or maybe mine was just a fluke?
My first son was 10lbs 2oz, my daughter was 8lbs 1oz and my last little boy was only 7lbs 9oz lol We were prepared for bigger. So no I don't think you can predict having another big baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post
Holy cow! Christian is over 4 months already?!?! That is CRAZY!!!!

This pregnancy is flying by. I need to start really getting organized!

I think every pregnancy is different so prior birth weight isn't necessarily a predictor. That said, lots of people have all their babies within a similar weight range. Its not something that can be predicted.

I am so ready for no more snow.
Yeah time sure is flying on his way to half a year old pretty fast!! I'm loving it though!! LOL The newborn stage is pretty hard, so I'm happy hes becoming a ton of fun!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 11th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Yeah the nb stage with Cam was such a blur for me last time. I know its going to be different this time since I can't sleep whenever! Thank goodness my mom and sister want to take Cam out, or take the baby for an hour so I can have time with Cam.

Less than 6 week of work left
sweety_pie likes this.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search