*~*2014 Chat Thread*~*

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Much better than me having to remember to start it every month

Lets see how high we can get in a year!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 2nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
oo a whole year one!!! i will guess we will get to 3000 posts this year I hope you are all feeling chatty!

January 2nd, 2014, 12:46 PM
I am Most days at least lol.

Soooo cold today...I had trouble starting my car this morning I thought I was going to be able to extend my vacation

Jess
January 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
its miserable out there for sure! even colder tomorrow, good thing i have no plans to go anywhere, way to cold out there for us!

January 2nd, 2014, 06:36 PM
I wish I would call in and watch movies all day! But I can't do that without reason, I have too much integrity lol. I hope you enjoy being all curled up and warm inside.

So I'm doing the 52 week money challenge...anyone else doing it? I plan to do it backwards, since I won't be on mat leave until the beginning of April, so we can get some of the big ones out of the way first. DH also wants to just go down to week 20 and then for the rest of the year put $20 instead of continuing to reduce the #...we're going to get a new TV in the boxing day sales next year and without having to touch credit!!!! Well, that's the plan anyways. And it can only happen if DH quits smoking. He has tried several times in the past. I hope this attempt is his final one! He hasn't quit yet, he's working up to it.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/301881981243931878/

Jess
January 2nd, 2014, 07:18 PM
Super Mommy
So here's something weird. This evening, I actually found myself missing being pregnant. It's the first time it's happened since Marcos was born back in July. In fact, after I gave birth, whenever I'd see pregnant women I'd think "Oh god, I'm so glad I'm done with all of that!" Coincidentally, or perhaps not so coincidentally, AF came back for the first time a couple of weeks ago, so maybe this is my body's way of telling me that it's time for baby #2. If I can help it, it won't happen for another year and a half, though!
January 3rd, 2014, 04:50 AM
ive seen that before, i think its a great idea! If i wasnt still paying down debt i would do that, but all my extra money goes to that not that i really get much money since i dont work

January 3rd, 2014, 06:04 AM
Haha Jessifer, you never know

Yeah, its going to be tough to do while on mat leave, but that's why we're starting backwards. We'll see how good we do! I just transferred the first $52

Thank goodness its Friday. I just want to go curl up at home with a blanket in front of the fire!

Jess
January 3rd, 2014, 06:15 AM
im sure you can do it! its smart to start backwards like that, then it only gets easier to save the smaller amounts

January 3rd, 2014, 06:20 AM
Super Mommy
The challenge is a good idea but I won't be doing it because I've already opted to continue contributing towards my pension plan at work despite being on mat leave, so I am putting a big chunk of money into some savings anyway, even though it's not money I'm able to access anytime I want.

Today I get to take it easy but tomorrow is going to be really crazy. We have to leave for the airport on Sunday at around 1:30pm, so on Saturday we have to do all of our last-minute preparations which include laundry (took all my summer clothes out from storage, haven't worn them in 2 years since I was pregnant last summer so don't know what still fits!), packing (we've started but we haven't finished), meeting with our catsitter to give her the keys, and cleaning the apartment top to bottom. That way on Sunday morning all we'll have left to do is throw out whatever we're not using from the fridge and take out the garbage. Thankfully I got the last stuff I needed on my shopping list yesterday so no more errands to run!
January 3rd, 2014, 07:12 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had some money to save. I have no money to put away right now, I'm hoping I'll get a job soon then I'll be able to pay off some debt and then start saving. I like that saving plan better though, it's more realistic than some I've read on Pinterest. There's one going around where you double the amounts each week. So week one you save $1, week 2 is $2, week 3 is $4 and so on, but it gets to be some big sums by the time you hit week 52.

January 3rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
that would be a big amount by the end of the year if it doubled every single week! it would be like thousands of dollars wouldnt it? who can save that much and still live!

January 3rd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Super Mommy
I think for me, personally, if I were to do any sort of savings plan, it would have to be automatic weekly (or monthly) transfers from a chequing to a savings account. That way I wouldn't forget or be tempted to miss a payment.

Like at work, my pension contributions are automatically deducted from my paycheque, in addition to my gym membership and my metropass (my office has discount plans). It was hard the first few months but now I like it that way because by the time I get paid all of that is out of the way and I don't have to worry about it. I also have my bank account set up so that whenever my child tax benefit comes in, it's automatically put into an RESP account for Marcos so that I am not tempted to touch it.
January 3rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Ugh, I STILL get my child tax benefit in the mail each month, despite requesting direct deposit THREE times now! Hoping they get it sorted soon.

Wow, doubling every week is CRAZY! Too much dedication for me lol. We'll give this one a try. The goal amount at the end is around what we would be looking to spend on a TV so it works for our goals right now. I wish I could set it up so it automatically comes out every week but since the amount changes each week, they can't do that I don't think.

Since DH's income is variable, we used to have set up a weekly transfer from our main account to our own separate spending accounts. Like $40/week each so on coffee, food, or save for clothing etc. We stopped that when I went on mat leave...found that easier than setting aside a certain amount since we knew even if his paycheque was low, we were still able to pay all our bills etc.

I've been looking at Gail Vaz Oxley's website, I'm thinking we might try her jar suggestions. Maybe lol. I hate carrying cash. But I'm hoping seeing how much DH spends on cigarettes will help provide motivation to quit.

Yay for being organized before you go on your trip!!!! And with a 5 month old, I'm super impressed!!!!

Jess
January 3rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
we never carry cash either, but i think her jar method is helpful for people who have a hard time tracking spending or impulse buying. Dh and I watch her show sometimes, i like her

January 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
I like her and she is sponsored by my work so she holds seminars for employees...I've never gone though.

I'm not too too bad with impulse buying, but I tend to stockpile. DH is a bad impulse spender lol. He's making less at his new job so this mat leave is going to be tighter than our last one, and we have a toddler as well to throw into the mix!

Jess
January 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've done the cash thing, it actually really helps with budgeting. I really liked working with just cash, I knew we couldn't over spend. As soon as I have a job and we have money to actually spend I'm going back to it. The other think we've used is gift cards, load up so much in grocery and gas gift cards and that's what you use for the month/week whatever.

Yes, the on that doubles is an outrageous amount. I think it must have been monthly though, because I just did the math and weekly is impossible by 52 weeks, can you tell I didn't pay that much attention to it? Even monthly though the last month is $2,048.

January 3rd, 2014, 03:27 PM
even monthly thats crazy! sorry but if we put away over 2000 a month im not sure what we would be eating..... must be nice to have that much to save!

January 3rd, 2014, 04:47 PM
I agree!!!! I would be buying stuff for Cam or Squishy or clothes for me or DH with that $2,000!

I really like the gift card idea! I think that I might do that for DH for his gas, since he always buys his cigarettes at the gas station when grabbing gas. Making it harder on him will help him to start cutting down (he wants to, I'm not forcing him yet lol).

So we had a milestone at daycare today...Cam was put in his first time out. Another little boy took something Cam was holding, so Cam took the plastic toy he had in his other hand and hit the little boy on the head So he got a short time out (less than a minute). I guess it had to start sometime.

Jess
January 3rd, 2014, 04:56 PM
pretty typical toddler behavior Ross and Will do that to each other all the time, little stinkers

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search