I wrecked my van

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I think I totalled my van. I turned left & I am told the light was solid green and not flashing green. A cab hit me. The cab is likely totalled, I dunno about the van.
My arms are burnt from the airbag
The kids are ok

August 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM
*Stacey*'s Avatar life=laundry
Glad to hear that everyone is ok.
August 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM
mrobinson
I'm glad to hear the kids are ok but OH NO!!!!!! The van is totalled? Oh no. Your arms are burnt too? Oh no. What happens now?
August 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
OnStar called right away, I was crying my eyes out. The kids were crying. It was horrible.
There was smoke (I am told it is from the airbag). My arms are ok, only one is burnt and I am told it is like a bad sunburn. It is ok, doesn't really hurt anymore.
A man was there, he owns the pet store, he helped me take the kids out of the van. The police came and the ambulances (OnStar called everyone). I called Kirk on my cell and I was freaking out. He was about 5 mins away. He came right away.
The cab driver was mad at me. I don't really care.
I got a $115 fine. For turning unsafe to the left.
I have to go to the detachment to write a report within 14 days.
The insurance company will handle everything, will get us a rental and all that. In the morning I will get a rental from somewhere and use it and on Tuesday (tomorrow is a holiday) tell the insurance company about it and they will pay it.
The insurance will cover the taxi (it is about 8 years old, and garbage now) and the taxi drivers' ambulance ride (about $500) and all that, including if he wants to sue the insurance company. The insurance will buy new carseats (Kiera and Julius) and will either repair my van (hit at the passengers' front wheel corner) if the frame isn't bent. If it is, no more van for me. (I have had it 12 1/2 months!!) If it is destroyed or if the cost of repairs is more than the value then I will have my van paid out and get a new vehicle. I am kinda hoping it is trashed (isn't that bad!!).
I was checked out in ambulance, as was Kiera. Kiera said her ear hurt (likely is the ear infection thing - the reason she will be getting tubes). I know the paramedic on, Nikki, she and I took our EMR training together back when I was pregnant with Kiera. She said Kiera looked fine. I was fine too, just the burnt arms, I trust Nikki. She also knows Kirk quite well and he feels confident she would have told him if we needed further treatment. I am feeling a lot better now. Will be sore tomorrow, I am sure. I have a chiropractor appointment scheduled (standing appt) on Tuesday that I will be sure to make. I have called and left a message for everyone else to get in too.
Kirk was finishing the renovations on the old house, I threw all that planning out the window. He won't be working tomorrow now and will get us a rental and new seats and hopefully finish most of that off.

Thank you all, I have never been so scared in all my life. The front of the cab is gone, it is crushed right in but it appeared as though the cabbie was fine.

August 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow Brandy, talk about scary! Your insurance company seems so easy to work with, that's awesome! I'm happy that the kids are fine and that you have just a minor injury.

Here's hoping that your van is a write-off!
August 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Oh wow Brandy, talk about scary! Your insurance company seems so easy to work with, that's awesome! I'm happy that the kids are fine and that you have just a minor injury.

Here's hoping that your van is a write-off! [/b]
I haven't really talked to them yet. I am more rambling, saying that the insurance takes care of everything. I don't pay for it, they do. I don't have to worry about an outlay of cash.

August 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM
mrobinson
It's sounded like a very horrible day.. I'm glad you're arms aren't hurt that bad and again none of the kids were hurt.

It sounds like the motions of the insurance companies can handle this from here.. I remember getting into an accident and for the next few days it just felt like a dream.. surreal.. Is that what this is like right now for you?
August 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH NO! I am glad to hear everyone is okay, that must have been so scary. I hope the insurance company doesn't give you any trouble.
August 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad everyone is okay. Let us know when you find out more about possibly getting a new car?!

August 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I will know as soon as tomorrow if it can/will be repaired. I don't expect the insurance company to not take care of everything, that is why I have insurance. I don't know anyone who ever had trouble, does that happen a lot?

August 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my friend had no end of trouble with her insurance company. but I think the fact she was a teenage girl driving with just her "N",etc is what gave her a bit of grief.. you're an adult with children.. own a house,etc you know what i mean? you look better you've been driving longer,etc

glad everyone is ok though!!

August 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Chester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad everyone was ok. That must have been extremely scary though.

August 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
OMG I am so happy to hear you are all ok, I was so worried when I started reading this post.

August 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM
The after hours number never told the underwriter so they never knew about it and we are still waiting to hear from them.

August 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I should know soon what they are going to do with it. It is at a bodyshop now.

August 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I hope everything goes alright Brandy!
August 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM
The body shop told me that without a mechanic having looked at it yet, they are willing to say it is a write off...

August 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Yay!! New vehicle for you!
August 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
mrobinson
That must have been one heck of a crash, eh? Oh man. So.. any ideas what kind of van you want to replace it? (I went up to Northstar Ford for our Escape. I wouldn't recommend an Escape for your sized family (three in the back only) but I did like dealing with them because they knew we were from Calgary. They gave us a great price from the start and a free night's stay at a nice hotel/lodge. I'm sure if you played the "we're thinking about this in Edmonton" card, they'd bite.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search