At what poit do you get induced in Canada

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone know at what point past your due date you get induced in Canada?

August 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
you shouldnt really get induced at all to be honest. If you must then its best at least a week after your dudeate preferably 2 weeks.

the hospital here does it 10 days past.
I think it is appalling how some american doctors will induce labour at 37 weeks just for the heck of it.

August 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Canada has no rules.

An induction should only be for medical necessity. If baby or more are not doing well.

A good, ethical Dr will only induce after finding that the baby needs to be born or that mom needs baby to be born. It isn't unusual to go 42 weeks without an induction.

August 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was asking because I read an article that routine indiction at 41 weeks reduces the chance of c-section and stillbirth and was curious if induction at 41 weeks is the rule in Canada. Obviously some women might need to be induced before then for medical reasons but I was wondering if doctors will let you go past 41 weeks or induce a 41.

August 22nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I was asking because I read an article that routine indiction at 41 weeks reduces the chance of c-section and stillbirth[/b]
considering a good percentage of inductions end in c-section that is a bit of a stupid article.
stillbirth.. 41 weeks isnt really danger for a still birth unless there are other medical conditions.
my mother carried me over a month past her duedate they didnt even suggest induction for her but that was 22 years ago.

I was induced at 40weeks 2 days because of pre-eclampsia. I have a beef with inductions because they dont always know for sure how far along you are. they thought i was 40 weeks but when Rissa came out they told me she was only 38 or so weeks.

August 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea on this. The only time they do do it before *I think, or it should be* is when the conditions outside the womb are better for the baby. Liek if you have IUGR than, it would be best for the baby to come out as soon as its lungs are mature. For me, I had a shortened cervix and preterm labour. My water broke so I didnt need to be induced (well, i did, but not from nothing to labour. I was already in labour..kinda) I had an apt with my Highrisk doctor on my due date, and he said nothign about induction being a topic for that day. Regardless of how uncomfortable I was with the contractions I had been having for endless weeks, or my cervix being shortened.

I think it does all depend on the doctor and the person being induced. You can decline it. You can also ask for it, but if they dont think its a good idea they wont do it.
August 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Super Mommy
Where I live they will not let you go more than 2 weeks past your due date. They do say that being induced increases your chances of ending up with a c-section. I was induced at 38 weeks because my BP was getting on the high side and I had no problems with my delivery. I dont regret being induced at all other than my BP spiked when the baby came out instead of coming down. But all is good now
August 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
With each of my kids, (different hospitals different provinces) they wont do it until you are 42 weeks. When you are 38 weeks they will do some natural stuff and if your body/baby is ready it will work. If its not working then its because your not ready yet.
I got induced at exactly 38 weeks though because of nerve damage on my lower spine that was getting worse and the doctors were always concerend if it would become worse.
Each OBGYN has their own policy

August 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
It depends from doctor to doctor I believe....My doctor told me today that 11 days was his limit....

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
August 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
4gmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced One day after my due date, only because my Doctor felt it would be best because i had 6 M/C prior to this pregnancy. He told me the day of my induction it was because i was high risk of having a stillborn and yes we ended up having a C-section but all is well. personally i don't recomend getting induced i wish i never did.
August 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty sure it's 42 weeks here. I have never had a doc suggest it before then either - excpet for with my twins. I was induced about 10 days early, as my body was just getting too exhausted. I did deliver vaginally, thankfully. I don't think it should be used for convenience, and I don't recommend it, but I am grateful that it happened with me...... even though a part of me wonders how far I "could" have carried the boys.
August 26th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it all depends on the dr and the situation. My dr left it in my hands, somewhat, he said I could decide any day after 9 days overdue, the last day being 14 days over.
With my first doctor he would not consider it (if everything was fine with baby and I) untill 10 days overdue.

I have been induced 3 times, (at 40w5d, after my water had broken) and at 33 weeks (after my water had broken) and this time at 41w 2d. The first time was just fine, the second time I had an epidural, and this last time I wanted to die. I don't know why anyone would want to get induced at anything before at least 41 weeks other than medical necessity.
August 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
a lot of doctors don't let you go past 42 weeks because the placenta starts to deteriate really fast past 42 and your baby will be at risk.

i was induces at 38 weeks b/c they said Ryland had stoped growing, i was having weekly ultrasounds because i developed PIH 3 weeks before my dues date. and it did not work for me, i was induced twice. i started feeling cramps every 2-5 minutes right from the start and didn't go into labour until 42 hours after that, then i had contractions every 5 minutes for 7 hours and never dialated, so i ended up with a C-section

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search