Any Mommies living in Victoria or on the island?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
*Helen*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!

My Dh and I are seriously looking into moving from Calgary to the island. Calgary is a beautiful city but its getting very big, expensive and busy and being new parents we're looking at our quality of life blah blah blah.......
I'd love to hear any feedback both positive and negative on island life especially for kids and the raising of kids.

TYIA

September 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
iemily's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, I'm not from Victoria...I actually live in Calgary. All I have to say is, I've very jealous that you are leaving Calgary for Victoria. My husband and I vacationed in Victoria last summer and LOVED it. Calgary is insane these days and I would love to leave!! We just bought a house and paid waaaay to much for it...uggghhh.....
September 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
Hey! I live in Nanaimo, which is only about an hour from Victoria. Island life is GREAT for raising kids. There's tons to do (In Victoria there's museums, playgrounds, lots of shopping, waterslides, etc.), and it's only an hour and a half ferry ride to Vancouver. So anyway I pretty much have nothing negative to say about Island living.
September 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i'm in victoria.

it lovely but its expensive.. i'd suggest up island to be honest

September 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
what is it that you find expensive?
where up island do you suggest?
my dh and i are planning a 2 day look and see trip just to get a feel for different areas.
sorry for being so nosey i'm just very curious!

tia

September 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
i am in the comox valley....much more affordabe!

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
September 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Hi Tia!

Gracie and I (along with DH and DS) live in Nanaimo. It is the most central place on the island, much smaller than Victoria but bigger than the the Comox Valley area.

The cost of living is lower compared to Victoria, but a little more than the Comox Valley. I think it kinda makes up for it in the end though because of its centralness, easy to get off of the island and what not.......

There is lots to do here for both kids and adults....

I moved here from Toronto 5 years ago and although it was a big adjustment, I absolutely love it here; DH has been here all his life and I doubt he would ever want to move anywhere else......

Kayleigh
September 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
I agree with Kayleigh. There is lots to do here in Nanaimo, the living is cheaper than Victoria. There is still quite a bit of shopping here, and it's only an hour away from Victoria, which has more shopping, and an hour and a half ferry ride to Vancouver which has even more than Victoria. I was told though, that the cost of living in Victoria is a lot cheaper than the cost in Calgary.

As for maybe Comox valley, or elsewhere more north on the Island, it's a longer trip to go to get off of the Island, and it's also a longer trip to get to any really good shopping.

I personally would suggest Victoria, Duncan, Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum or even Port Alberni, as they are the closest to anything like shopping-wise. Port Alberni is about a 45 minute drive to Nanaimo, about 1.5-2 hours to Victoria. Duncan is about a 30-40 minute drive to Nanaimo and about a 20-30 minute drive to Victoria.
September 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
In the valley, we do have quite a bit of shopping and that actually... and it is only an hour to Nanaimo on the new highway. I have been here all my life, and for ppl that are looking to get away from the city, but still have everything you need available, it is perfect.. JMHO

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
</div>
September 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
<------might be moving to the Comox Valley due to DH's job!

(we are tired of being apart 4 days a week, its been 4 years now)
September 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Quote:
<------might be moving to the Comox Valley due to DH's job!

(we are tired of being apart 4 days a week, its been 4 years now)[/b]
too cool!

</div>
September 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
what is it that you find expensive?
where up island do you suggest?
my dh and i are planning a 2 day look and see trip just to get a feel for different areas.
sorry for being so nosey i'm just very curious!

tia [/b]
rent,housing,etc are all way more expensive here.

my parents have a house that is worth around 350,000 - 400,000 in Victoria and probably 300,000-350,000 up Island. I'm not sure how true that is I just heard my parents saying that.
I have a friend who moved to duncan because she got a nice 2 bedroom apartment for 550 in duncan. here you would be hard pressed to find a decent apartment for under 900 .

decent doesnt count as in Esquimalt..so i dont want any victorians saying..hey esquimalt is like 700 a month.
esquimalt = cracktown. I dont care what those E-town people say with their "ESQ what I'm a gangsta" attitudes. I've lived in Colwood,Esquimalt and Gordon Head.

Esquimalt = poopy
Gordon Head = nice
Colwood = home.

September 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
smackers's Avatar Veteran
Hey I just saw this post and wanted to add in my thoughts. I currently live in Victoria (actually Sooke)
I agree that living right in Victoria is quite expensive. We moved to Sooke because we found the housing be be a lot cheaper then in Victoria. I have lived in Colwood and Langford and loved it both. But Sooke has been by far my favorite. It is about 40 mins from downtown Victoria and only 15-20 mins from downtown langford where I do all my shopping. Every store you would go to in Victoria is in Langford now. Sooke is a nice quiet community and is growing really fast. Our investment in our house was $250,000 2 years ago and because of the development and the way it's growing our house is worth $380,000 already. There are still lots of house for sale under the $300,000 mark.

Just a suggestion.... I absolutely love the western communites as opposed to downtown victoria (less traffic, less people, more of a community feeling)

Let me know if you have any questions.... Good luck and hopefully we will be welcoming you to the island soon!

September 18th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies ladies I really appreciate your feedback, major thanks for the advice on where not to live, it would be just my luck that I end up in cracktown
Smackers, Sooke is actually an area I've been paying close attention to online! House prices seem very reasonable and I like the fact your only 40 minutes from Victoria (we don't want to live right downtown). What is the school situation like, are there schools in the newer areas or do kids have to ride the bus? This is one of the reasons I want out of Calgary, it's not uncommon for elementary aged kids to ride the bus 30-45mins each way to get to school Do you have to do all your shopping in Langford for groceries and stuff or just if you want to go to the mall? I hope you don't mind all the questions! We really need to come for a visit to get a feel for the island.....the internet can only give you so much info.

Thanks again!

September 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Hey there, No problem.. ask me as many questions as you would like. I am here to help.
Sooke is beautiful. There are 2 schools within the village core and 1 within Sassenos (really these 2 areas are about a block apart from each other but when you are looking at real estate listing they detail them as seperate areas. If you want your kids to be within walking distance to both elementary and high schools then stay within the Village Core, Sassenos,Broomhill and Sooke River. A bus ride to school might be 10-15 long if you move to Whiffen Spit, Otter Point, East Sooke,John Muir, Beacher Bay.If you stick near there you are super close to all ammenities. The places to stay away from because you might end up in the middle of nowhere is Jordon River, Kemp Lake, Port Renfrew and Sheringham Point.
We currently have a little town that consists of 2 groceries stores (good ones too) 2 drug stores, Home Hardware, 3 movie stores, McDonalds, A&W, Subway and a bunch of other little restuarants. We have a full service little town.. it's great. If you are wanting to shop at places like Walmart, Real Canadian Superstore, Canadian Tire, Costco.. the list goes on and on you will need to go into Langford (15-20 min drive)
Here is the link to the newest subdivision to check out. Sooke is one of the places most families are moving to because you can purchase a brand new home for reasonable prices.

http://www.sunriverestates.com/sooke.html

and of course you will find all the areas and the houses for sale at

http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=762

Have fun.. and let me know if you have any other questions

September 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hey I just saw this post and wanted to add in my thoughts. I currently live in Victoria (actually Sooke)
I agree that living right in Victoria is quite expensive. We moved to Sooke because we found the housing be be a lot cheaper then in Victoria. I have lived in Colwood and Langford and loved it both. But Sooke has been by far my favorite. It is about 40 mins from downtown Victoria and only 15-20 mins from downtown langford where I do all my shopping. Every store you would go to in Victoria is in Langford now. Sooke is a nice quiet community and is growing really fast. Our investment in our house was $250,000 2 years ago and because of the development and the way it's growing our house is worth $380,000 already. There are still lots of house for sale under the $300,000 mark.

Just a suggestion.... I absolutely love the western communites as opposed to downtown victoria (less traffic, less people, more of a community feeling)

Let me know if you have any questions.... Good luck and hopefully we will be welcoming you to the island soon![/b]
where in colwood did you live?

I live by wishart.. i went to wishart,dunsmuir,belmont and W.O.N.

I also adore the western communities.. I have to admit though we used to make alot of fun of sooke..
we called the people there the sookies. sooke used to be the worst hick town but its really getting better.
i remember teasing the sookies i went to school with

September 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
[/quote]

I also adore the western communities.. I have to admit though we used to make alot of fun of sooke..
we called the people there the sookies. sooke used to be the worst hick town but its really getting better.
[/quote]

Thats funny. We used to make fun of Sookies too. It was a real hick town before and back then I would have never thought I would have lived there.

So I went to Sangster, Dunsmuir and Belmont. I used to live just off Metchosin Rd right across the street from Dunsmuir. What year did you graduate?

September 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Smackers you rock!!!

Sunriver Estates is the #1 area we've being looking at! It looks really nice online is it? Is this one of the communities that has a school or not? I can't thank you enough for all your info it has been really helpful. The house prices in Sunriver Estates seem really reasonable.....to buy a house like those in Calgary would cost at least $450,000 and up.....it's totally insane here....
I don't mind driving to get to the big box stores, we do that here, I just don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks again for your help, I'll be in touch with more questions I'm sure

September 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

[/quote]

Thats funny. We used to make fun of Sookies too. It was a real hick town before and back then I would have never thought I would have lived there.

So I went to Sangster, Dunsmuir and Belmont. I used to live just off Metchosin Rd right across the street from Dunsmuir. What year did you graduate?
[/quote]
haha my parents live just off metchosin road..by the firehall.
we live pretty close to dunsmuir.
I didnt graduate on time but i should have graduated in 2002.

September 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Smackers you rock!!!

Sunriver Estates is the #1 area we've being looking at! It looks really nice online is it? Is this one of the communities that has a school or not? I can't thank you enough for all your info it has been really helpful. The house prices in Sunriver Estates seem really reasonable.....to buy a house like those in Calgary would cost at least $450,000 and up.....it's totally insane here....
I don't mind driving to get to the big box stores, we do that here, I just don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks again for your help, I'll be in touch with more questions I'm sure [/b]
Sunriver is absolutely beautiful and it may 3 mins from the Sooke Centre. The closest school is within 3 mins away as well. Sunriver estates is a brand new subdivision (maybe 1 year old) there are plans to have around 700 homes in the area within the next 5-7 years. It is amazing. Right now I think they are just begining phase 2 of the area. I have been told that a school is being within Sunriver once there are enough houses. Oh I should mention too... if you guys decided to come and check out Sunriver they have show homes open for you to view daily. Fully furnished I think there are 5 or 6 different house plans to choose from all ranging in price.
There are also about 3 other developments starting within the town core. If you are working with a realtor you should ask him or her to look into Church Hill Estates and the Golf course developements sorry I can't remember the actual name (something "Creek") We had a large golf course but they closed it and are starting to build house there. The lots are selling for just over $100,000 and then you can have your own house built.
As I mentioned before all these developments are right in Sooke and just minutes from the schools. It's perfect!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search