Vacationing in Canada

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Kind_nepenthe's Avatar Veteran
Hello Canadian mommies. My boyfriend and I have decided to take a short vacation to Toronto during November. We're actually going there so I can go to The Royal and watch the Big Ben Challenge since I'm into show jumping. We decided that since we're there, we might as well stay a few days and enjoy ourselves.

So I have a few questions. We're from MI and will be crossing the Detroit/Windsor border. What should we bring for baby as far as identification goes? Do we just bring her birth certificate in case they ask to see it? I know I would carry mine with me [before I got a passport] because there have been a few times when they've wanted to see it.

2nd: I breast feed. I figured Canada might be a little more relaxed about it than the states, but are there any laws or restrictions I should know about? MI isn't bad with breast feeding and moms are allowed to do it in public without it being seen as indecent exposer. Is it the same there? I'll be at The Royal for hours so I'm going to have to feed her while we're there, probably even during the horse show while we're packed in with hundreds of others.

3rd: What are some fun things we could do in Toronto where it'd be ok to take her along. We'll be there from the 11th to the 14th or 15th. We're already going to The Royal and plan on doing a little shopping at The Eaton Centre. Anything we shouldn't miss?

</div>
September 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM
mrobinson
Hello American mommy!!!

Quote:
What should we bring for baby as far as identification goes? Do we just bring her birth certificate in case they ask to see it? I know I would carry mine with me [before I got a passport] because there have been a few times when they've wanted to see it.[/b]
Sure.. If you really want to more information, check out: Learn more about Ontario

Quote:
2nd: I breast feed. I figured Canada might be a little more relaxed about it than the states, but are there any laws or restrictions I should know about? MI isn't bad with breast feeding and moms are allowed to do it in public without it being seen as indecent exposer. Is it the same there? I'll be at The Royal for hours so I'm going to have to feed her while we're there, probably even during the horse show while we're packed in with hundreds of others.[/b]
Not as far as I know you can't.. As far as I know, it's illegal for anyone to stop you here.

Quote:
3rd: What are some fun things we could do in Toronto where it'd be ok to take her along. We'll be there from the 11th to the 14th or 15th. We're already going to The Royal and plan on doing a little shopping at The Eaton Centre. Anything we shouldn't miss?[/b]
Go up the CN Tower onto the glass floor! I would go to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but that's just me. Check out King's Street, Queen's Street and Yonge's Street too for shopping and fun. Editted to change Young to Yonge.

Here's a fun website for you! (BTW: This number doesn't work, I checked it.)
September 24th, 2006, 08:31 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Have fun!

I don't know what you need as far as ID, I would ask someone official (I sound really smart, don't I?).

Breastfeeding is allowed anywhere a baby is allowed, so don't worry about a thing there!

September 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I am a travel agent, and any Canadian airlines would only require you to have the baby's birth certificate. I've never dealt with clients who were driving across the border, but I can't see that it would be any different. As long as passports are not required to enter Canada, then a USA birth certificate should be fine for any child.

I bet no one would dare say a thing to you about nip in Canada. Don't worry about it at all.

And I've only been to TO once, so I'll just ditto what mrobinson said, do the CN Tower, Queen, King and Young streets.

September 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
2nd: I breast feed. I figured Canada might be a little more relaxed about it than the states, but are there any laws or restrictions I should know about? MI isn't bad with breast feeding and moms are allowed to do it in public without it being seen as indecent exposer. Is it the same there? I'll be at The Royal for hours so I'm going to have to feed her while we're there, probably even during the horse show while we're packed in with hundreds of others.[/b]
Completely acceptable here, in fact it's also legal for women to go totally topless in Ontario (not that many would want to come November, it's getting a little cool here then), so there's no worry about indecent exposer. It's actually very common to see women nursing where ever they happen to be at the time, you likely won't be the only one nursing there.

Enjoy your trip, Toronto is a great place to visit.

September 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM
chlodoll
I think just her birth certificate should be fine.

Breastfeeding is totally accepted. I live in Toronto and I nurse everywhere and no one has ever batted an eye.

Fun things? Queen St west, Beaches, CN Tower, we have a great Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum, and the royal wnter fair should be lots of fun itself!

if i think of othger things i'll post!
September 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Kind_nepenthe's Avatar Veteran
Thanks a lot so far everyone! We're really looking forward to our trip!

And I totally forgot about the topless thing! I guess breast feeding would be ok then. Hehe.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search