Gov't Mat Benefits

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to figure out how long I need to be back at work in order to get full government mat benefits again. From what I've read it's 600 hours, which if I'm working 40 hours, is only 15 weeks. Is that right?!?! That doesn't seem like much to me!

Or is there some sort of rule, like a period of time you need to have between receiving mat benefits (other than the 600 hours of work)?

Anyone know??
September 29th, 2006, 06:12 PM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Quote:
Who is eligible?

To be entitled to maternity, parental or sickness benefits you must show that:

* your regular weekly earnings have been decreased by more than 40%; and

you have accumulated 600 insured hours in the last 52 weeks or since your last claim. This period is called the qualifying period.[/b]
Here is the main link to the info http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=...html&hs=tyt

From what I remember it was just the 600 hours but that may have changed since 02.

HTHs!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
September 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am pretty certain I also read that it was 600 hours but I think it would be of anyones benefit to try and fit in more than 600 because I think the shorter amount of time you work the less money you get. I think they take into consideration your earnings over the previous year, so if you worked a full year you would get more money than if you just worked 15 weeks. It also may vary by area, areas of high unemployment require less hours for regular unemployment but I dont know if that applies to mat leave.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

September 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is 600 hours. i just went through this.. however.. you cannot make a claim until i beleive 15 weeks prior to your due date unless you need to be on med leave

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
September 29th, 2006, 08:05 PM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah it's 600 hours within the last 52 weeks of you claim. So for example, if you claim May 1 2007, then it has to be 600 hours from May 1 2006 to May 1 2007. And remember you ONLY get 55%, so don't think that you are going to get all your pay like you did when you are working, I know it SUCKS.

September 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so let me make sure I have this right:

I've been on mat leave since January 2006 and will be going back to work in January 2007. Let's HYPOTHETICALLY say I get PG and am due November 2007. So I'll have worked January-October 2007 before I require mat leave again. In that case, I receive government mat benefits based on my salary from January-October 2007. Correct?

Just want to make sure I'm getting this all right. I'm having some serious baby fever and we're going to TTC in the new year, so I want to make sure I have some sort of clue about how my mat benefits will work when the time comes.

Thanks so much ladies!!
September 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
Yes. It is 55% of the average that you have made in the last 52 weeks of working (or last 600 hours of working). Unless you are a government worker you get 93% , which in our case we do. But for other people who arent gov't workers - its 55%.

September 29th, 2006, 09:18 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Yep, just 600 hrs.

Great, isn't it!!

October 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Yes. It is 55% of the average that you have made in the last 52 weeks of working (or last 600 hours of working). Unless you are a government worker you get 93% , which in our case we do. But for other people who arent gov't workers - its 55%.[/b]
Is it just me or is the percentage constantly going down? Is there a cap on the amount a person could be elligable for?
October 12th, 2006, 05:51 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. It is 55% of the average that you have made in the last 52 weeks of working (or last 600 hours of working). Unless you are a government worker you get 93% , which in our case we do. But for other people who arent gov't workers - its 55%.[/b]
Is it just me or is the percentage constantly going down? Is there a cap on the amount a person could be elligable for?
[/b]
Yes, it's capped... I'm at the max with $728 net every 2 weeks. That's not 55% of my earnings but it's a wonderful benefit.
October 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
My mat leave ends in July.. I'm planning on working maybe 6 - 7 months before going on leave again... it's the only way I'll be able to part with dd and put her in daycare if I tell myself it's only temporary... then I think I may become a SAHM for a bit.. but will be hartd without that nice 55%.. Which is really not as bad as it sounds.. since you are taxed differently... I used to bring in about $900 every two weeks and I now bring in $642
October 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
mrobinson
((not happy about the cap!))
October 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
((not happy about the cap!))[/b]
There has always been a cap on money from EI, whether for mat leave, sick, or plain old unemployed/laid off.

October 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
mrobinson
(I've never used that system so I wouldn't know.) So tough then eh?
October 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
I need a govt job before I have another baby lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search