Work at Home

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2006, 07:27 AM
Veteran
I saw a post in the January due date club about WAHM and some good websites for finding jobs such as: http://www.wahm.com and http://www.genuinejobs.com Just wondering if there are any Canadian mom's who have been able to find jobs using these sites (since they are American sites) or does anyone know of any legitimate Canadian Work At Home job finding sites? Telemarketing jobs are definitely not what I am looking for!! Thanks.
October 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check out the WAHM board.

There are a decent amount of telecommuting jobs available in Canada, but it totally depends on your skillset. Legal and medical stenographers seem to be in demand. Obviously, there are a lot of technology-related jobs that enable one to work from home such as programming, digital graphics design, web design...but you would need education and prior experience for something like this. There are some great books available on how to make a success of selling stuff on eBay. If you have the startup capital, you can get good prices from a wholesale place to create your initial stock, and then sell the items for a profit with Buy It Now or auctions on eBay.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
November 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM
cyutegurl
Well I've been also trying to find a work from home job for myself..and I live in Canada...and they all dont seem to be legitimate!
And I dont want something where you have to fork money out!
November 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
(Mayhem)'s Avatar ~!Theresa!~
Send a message via MSN to (Mayhem)
I have gotten burned in the past by these work at home things and now I am very very cautious.
I don't remember what the company name that I used the first time, by it was a braclete making thing that I though would be a breeze seeing as I had made many different types of jewellery in the past. I got the kit, which involved me paying something out (can' t remember the amount). The kit included the material for five bracletes and instructions on how to make them. Well the instruction were very unclear and the patteren was very difficult. I couldn't do even one and I gave it a good try. Besides the difficulty there was another catch. You had to make the bracletes in boxes of 30, only full boxes were accepted and all your work would be heavily inspected. If one braclete out of the 30 was rejected then the box was deemed incomplete and you didn't get paid for it, even though you had put all that work into it, oh and had to pay for your materials.

I almost signed up for one last week. It was stuffing envelopes and I thought it was pretty air tight. You have to pay $70 up front but when you start work your down payment is refunded. You also have 30 days to try out the program and if you don't like it then $20 of your down payment is returned to you. The information states that you will never have to pay for envelopes or postage and your envelopes come already addressed. But..... I caught the catch. As far as your pay you make $3 for every envelope, which sounds pretty good. Here is the catch though. They send you one of the flyers that you will be inserting and YOU have to make the copies at your own expense. Now if those flyers are colour then you are paying out aboyt $1.25 for each copy and if they and double sided you are paying almost double that. So in the long run you are still making money just no where near what they say. I am glad I read the info closely before applying.

I know this doesn't really help but I hope it prevents someone else from getting ripped off!

November 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
I am absolutely looking for a work at home job. It's perfect - making money while sitting at home watching the baby. But it seems a little hard finding a legit job anywhere in Canada where you DON'T have to pay anything. If anyone finds something PLEASE help me! I'm gonna go check out the WAHM board.
November 3rd, 2006, 04:37 AM
Veteran
Yeah, I agree....if you have to pay money to work for a company, it is most likely a scam. I'm hoping to find something like data entry or transcription (although most transcription jobs require a significant amount of experience....of which I have none). Another problem is that I live in a rural area and only have access to dial up internet. Most of the companies seem to require DSL/high speed internet. Arrrghhhh!

If any Canadian mommies have experience working from home with a legitimate company, PLEASE, PLEASE let us know.
November 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
depending on our skillsets you could start your own business.. a service that you can run out of your home... such as tailoring, making cakes for special occasions, small event catering, hair cutting, etc.

I plan on taking some photo classes to improve my not so bad photography skills and open a photo studio out of my home... It costs a bit of money to start up.. but at least you know the money is legit cause you know where it is going... and equipment is an asset....
November 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Veteran
Photo studio sounds interesting. Although I don't want to open one, I am an avid travel photographer and have thought about trying to sell some of my photos - either framed or not. But I guess I just don't know where to start. Do I try selling them through the internet (and how?) or do I try to get some restaurant/business to display them with my name, contact info and price? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search