Maternity benefits

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Today is my last day of work and I applied for maternity benefits on-line. Does anyone know how long it take to receive the first payment?

October 31st, 2006, 01:33 PM
RobynH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Today is my last day of work and I applied for maternity benefits on-line. Does anyone know how long it take to receive the first payment?[/b]
Well you need to get your record of employment from your work, they have 2 weeks to prepare it, then you need to go into the unemployment office and give them the record of employment. There is a 2 week waiting period as well, the office i dealt with completed my file in 36 days, so i was a while without any money as i was late getting my info to them since i was in the hospital for so long. My suggestion is to start bugging your work place now for your record of employment and bring it in asap. good luck

October 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Today is my last day of work and I applied for maternity benefits on-line. Does anyone know how long it take to receive the first payment?[/b]
Well you need to get your record of employment from your work, they have 2 weeks to prepare it, then you need to go into the unemployment office and give them the record of employment. There is a 2 week waiting period as well, the office i dealt with completed my file in 36 days, so i was a while without any money as i was late getting my info to them since i was in the hospital for so long. My suggestion is to start bugging your work place now for your record of employment and bring it in asap. good luck
[/b]
Thanks. I have my ROE already and I dropped it off at the EI office today so I am hoping that will speed things up. At the EI office they told me 28 days to process the application so hopefully I will see some money at the end of November.

October 31st, 2006, 07:18 PM
RobynH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats great that you already have the ROE. I was told 28 days as well, but they were behind, so it was more like 36. Hopefully you get it soon and make sure you complete and mail the form for child tax benefit and the daycare allowance. Every penny adds up!

November 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
mrobinson
Congradulations girl!
November 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
lizruch's Avatar Regular
All I can say is good luck.
I waited 4 months! I had a problem with an employer who I had to take to the labor board (shorted me 8 hours) and another employer didn't put enough hours on my ROE so EI denied my claim. I need 600 hours and I was 6 short. Can you believe that? Although after they figured out that I actually had more than enough hours and that the two employers had made a mistake I finally got paid. It was a long 4 months with no money though. I had only been working for 6 months. I went back to work when my daughter was 9 months old and I was and I was already pregnant.
November 17th, 2006, 07:40 AM
tim_horton's Avatar Veteran
I know a guy who work at Services Canada (the part of the gov't that forks out the benefits). Apparently there are some loopholes and ways to get around waiting. If you have any problems, I could even give you his e-mail address or phone number and you could say that I referred you. He's very helpful.

The best trick he told me about was this: When you take your mat leave, first take any sick days or vacation time you have saved up. You cannot apply for your benefits when you are still working. But you can apply for them if you are on sick/vacation leave. That way you aren't left with an entire month of no money coming in.

Best of luck.
November 17th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
DH put in for his back in late July and got his first payment about 2 months ago (late september) they said they were highly backlogged, so it took about 60 days

November 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
mrobinson
60 days? YIKES! Thanks for the head up there.
November 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
Yeah, it took forever. But he did get backpaid 6 weeks of those 8 (first two are the waiting period). I should say that was for paternity leave too - he took the last couple of months off before our DD turned one

November 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I apply on September 8 and I receive my first payment November 17.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search