Can anyone give me any info

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2006, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to be having my baby at Penticton Regional hospital in B.C. and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's going to be like. I've tried to get info from my doc and the hospital itself but my doc talks alot and I can't get a word in and the people I managed to talk to at the hospital had no clue. If you don't have any info on penticton hospital itself, I would still like to know about the hospitals where you gave birth, just to give me an idea. Just anything would be helpful. TIA!
<h1 class="firstPageHeading">
</h1>

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

November 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm going to be having my baby at Penticton Regional hospital in B.C. and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's going to be like. I've tried to get info from my doc and the hospital itself but my doc talks alot and I can't get a word in and the people I managed to talk to at the hospital had no clue. If you don't have any info on penticton hospital itself, I would still like to know about the hospitals where you gave birth, just to give me an idea. Just anything would be helpful. TIA!
</h1>[/b]

I'm pretty sure my friend just gave birth there! Her little guy was born about a month ago. I'll ask her if she would mind if I passed on her email to you, ok?

Did you take prenatal classes at all? I know when we did ours with #1, a tour of the hospital and discussion of what to expect was a big part of it.
November 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not all hospitals offer the tour with the pre-natal course these days for fear of spreading germs, our tour was a video walk through the hospital.

My experience at Ottawa General - Civic Campus was:

Pre-registered at the hospital during the weekend pre-natal courses my hubby and I took.

When my contractions were regular, getting very intense and getting closer together I headed to the hospital. When I arrived there was a screening in process, where you give them your health card and they start a file, then you go into a waiting room for just you and your DH or whomever comes with you and you get evaluated to see how much you've dialated and effaced, they'll get an ultrasound pic and evaluate yours and baby's heartrate. If you are still at only 1-3 cm's dialated they'll send you home, if you are okay they don't give you meds but if you ask they will give you morphine or another pain relief medication. If you are advanced in your labour and you are several cm's dialated they'll get you into a birthing room right away. They would admit you if you have any kind of blood pressure, heartrate or other distress issues. The health of the baby and you are of primary concern and they will do what they need to assure both mommy and baby are doing well throughout the labour and birthing and post-delivery time. We had the option of private, semi-private, or whatever 4 beds to a room is called...depends what your health plan covers + if you are willing to cover the balance of what your plan doesn't cover. The anesthetist was there asap once I got admitted, but it should be noted that the first epidural didn't fully take with me. Not everyone reacts the same way to the medication cocktail that is an epidural. They in no way push the meds.

Recovery - We are given 3 days post delivery in the recovery area and you are assigned a day nurse and a nightime nurse. If you have a c-section you are in hospital for 4-5 days post-op. Food is brought to you at regular intervals and you are provided with some feminine protection (super massive, absorbant things that are essentially diapers....YOU WILL NEED them). Bring some super overnight pads for day 2-3, and these will be what you need for the next week to 4 weeks, then go to regular flow thin pads with wings. They encourage you to do kegels, and believe me you will want to do them as frequently and as many of them as possible.

If you have any specific questions which I haven't answered let me know via PM or email.

Fiona

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
November 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
I called my hospital and asked for a tour last time around, I wasnt taking prenatal classes because I had taken them with Elle and I wanted to see the way it had been rearranged. I just called the womens health centre and they helped me set it up.

November 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
</h1>[/b]

I'm pretty sure my friend just gave birth there! Her little guy was born about a month ago. I'll ask her if she would mind if I passed on her email to you, ok?

Did you take prenatal classes at all? I know when we did ours with #1, a tour of the hospital and discussion of what to expect was a big part of it. [/b]
That would be great! I'd love to talk to someone who was actually there! My e-mail is anderson818 at shaw.ca. Dh and I would like to take classes but we have to go through the college here and I haven't been able to find any info yet. Thanks for your help!

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

November 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I passed your email on to her, so if you hear from a Carissa...that's her!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search