When did you get your first ultrasound?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
yammie
Being girls in Canada I wanted to know if it's different for us and the time our DOc's give us our first ultrasound/scan. I am 7 weeks now and my doctor wont even give me an exam until I am 12 weeks along. Is this normal? Should I get a new doctor? He is just a GP. I am so confused.
November 3rd, 2006, 04:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes it is. Some Dr won't even give an appointment before 12 weeks. Usually the first ultrasound is not before 16-17 weeks even 20 weeks for some Dr.

November 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
Yes, its normal. Thats because the provincial insurance companies will usually only pay for one - and the 16-20 week ultrasound is the most important so thats why they do it then. Provincial Health care wont pay for more unless its medically necessary.

I remember with DS I had one at 6 weeks for dating purposes, then the 17 week one, then one at 28 weeks and another at 34 weeks (the last two were for more indepth ultrasounds to check his bones).

With DD I had my first at the 19 week appointment. Then I had another one at around 34 weeks again to check her bones.

Finding a new doc wont really change anything since they cant request extra's because of the insurance purposes..

Oh, and for the appointments, with DS I didnt have my first appt till 12 weeks either - they say its because 25% miscarry anyways and that early on they cant do much anyhow.

With my DD I didnt get our appointment until I was almot 14 weeks

November 3rd, 2006, 08:46 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got one at 12 weeks just because they couldn't find the heartbeat and I was stressed out as it was because my dad had just suddenly passed away.

My 2nd (and last) one was at 22 weeks.
November 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I went at 7 weeks to get it confirmed and my first ultrasound. I had a not so agreeing with me, pregnancy throughout the entire 9mths so that is why. I then went to get the testing for congenital deformaties at 13 weeks (mostly so I could see my baby again lol) Than I got her sexed at 19.5weeks.

than due to complications I got them every 2 weeks starting at 26 weeks. And about 3 before that time (complication, shortening cervix, PTL, old grade 3 uterus)
November 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I got my first one at 6 weeks but that is only because I'm a hypochondriac (sp?) You see it was my first pregnancy and I was worrying about every little pain and my doctor okay'd getting the 6 week u/s to rule out an ectopic pregnancy (ie. pregnancy that is developing in the fallopian tubes) and guess what I was fine and now I have a beautiful little boy. I only had two other u/s, one at 20 weeks (we found out the gender) and the third I think was at 30 weeks (to check on size as he seemed large..he was 4.5 lbs already). My baby just grew quickly for the first 30-35 weeks and then chilled for the last 5 weeks, he was only 7 lbs 7 oz. Birth size is no indication of what build or size they will be later, my little guy is a muscular and long guy at 26" and 17 lbs...he's 4 mths old.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
November 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in B.C and they always give me an ultrasound around 6 weeks. All my friends also had them between 6 and 8 weeks. Then another one between 18 and 20 weeks.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

November 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am in Vancouver. With my first pg, I got an ultrasound at 6 weeks to date the pregnancy. Basically if your cycles are irregular or if you don't know the date of your last menstrual period, you can get an early ultrasound. With this pg, I got my first ultrasound at 16 weeks because my doctor suspected twins, at 18 weeks and then again at 30.

It's pretty typical though to get only one ultrasound at 18-20 weeks. The first real appointment is at 12 weeks and that's when the doctor tries to hear the baby's heartbeat.

November 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
I'm in BC...I got my first one at 18 weeks then another one (to check for growth cuz of my high blood pressure) at 31 weeks.

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
November 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Shorty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Shorty
I had my first ultrasound at 9 weeks only because I was spotting, otherwise my first ultrasound would have been between 18-20 weeks.
November 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to smurftattoo Send a message via Yahoo to smurftattoo
I had my first ultrasound at 13 weeks for the triple screen. We found out then it was twins. Because I had only one placenta I was even more monitored, in case one baby recieved more nutrients then the other. Thankfully, they were pretty even.

I had u/s's at 20,24,28,30,32,34 and 36 weeks. Let me tell you from 30 weeks on lying on my back for an hour was killer but soo worth it. Each time I brought my video and they kept adding on so I have this amazing DVD of my girls in utero!

When I have my third baby and it's just the one or two u/'s's I am not going to know how to handle that LOL!
Charlotte Elizabeth 8lbs 6oz February 4, 2008

November 5th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
i'm in Alberta and i had my first u/s at 6 weeks to rule out twins and etopic b/c i used clomid, i had another one at 12 weeks to check for down syndrome 12 weeks is a standard one and often the first one you get, i had about 8 in total, not to sure why, the last two were to measure his size as i developed high blood pressure for the last 3 weeks.

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

November 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy crap! I can`t believe some women actually had to wait so long for ultrasounds!!!

I had one at 5 weeks, one at 8.5 weeks, I have another next week at 16 weeks(but thats for medical to find a cyst).

But beware my midwife explained that ultrasounds haven`t been proven to be safe, so take it easy even though hard if you want to see your baby on screen. And I`ve never ever heard of the provincial insurance policies. Maybe that`s something only in Nova Scotia or something.

And I would considor finding someone else other then a GP to take care of your prenatals. Maybe a midwife or an OBGYN, midiwives are specifically trained for prenatal care and will keep your family doctor informed along the way,and they give you more time at visits. Not only that but my midwives (there's two) have pagers so if I EVER have any problems, questions or concerns I can page at absolutely anytime given. Like yesterday when I was suffering with a severe migraine, where to get into your GP you might have had to wait and been stuck in a situation. Good luck non the less and enjoy your pregnancy.

November 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
It is pretty normal to have just one ultrasound. Ultrasounds are a diagnostic tool, not something that is done for fun. They are expensive and if you ask your Dr/midwife, many will say that they shouldn't be over-used.

It is also quite common to not have a first prenatal until 12 weeks. From what I understand, in the US (and perhaps elsewhere) the first appt that is done right away is to confirm the pregnancy (blood test) so that the medical appointments are covered. In Canada, as you know, we can see the Dr whenever for whatever, doesn't make a difference if we are pregnant or not in regards to getting coverage.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search