Important for those of you with kids under 6 yrs.

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi all,

This video was posted on the June 2006 PR board I'm a part of and I thought I would share. I got all weapy and what not from watching it but the message is a good one.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this...

Why 5 pt carseats are so important

Fiona

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
November 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Proper installation and use a child restraint is essential. All seatbelts can fail, sadly. The thing to be aware of, this is a mother, not a carseat not a vehicle manufacturer. LATCH isn't made for a heavy child. Make sure you know what weight your vehicles LATCH can hold before assuming it can hold a heavier child. Also, in Canada, carseats are rated differently, I am not sure that the one she mentions is rated the same here, or even available.

November 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you Brandy for the additional information. I was unaware that the latches in vehicules had different weight capacities. I do know that all children should be in rear-facing carseats until they are 1 yr old AND are 22 lbs or more (according to Transport Canada, http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13511/intro.htm).

I am now an even more informed consumer.

I figured that the model the person who did the video mentioned wasn't available in Canada but we do have access to 5pt. harnesses in the carseat models we do have and the important thing is that mothers, fathers, etc who are caring for children are aware of what safety precautions to take when transporting their children in vehicules and what type of carseat they need. The rules and regulations in regards to carseats has changed quite a bit in the last few years. I know I sure didn't use a booster seat till I was 8 or older, but my parents and gransparents made sure I sat in the backseat till I was tall enough to properly use the cross the chest and cross the lap seatbelts.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
November 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
I've got a question about rear facing carseats. Should we have the carseat anchored down using the tether while it's rear facing? If so, then what should we use to anchor it?
November 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
I've got a question about rear facing carseats. Should we have the carseat anchored down using the tether while it's rear facing? If so, then what should we use to anchor it?[/b]
In Canada, rear-facing carseats do not have a top tether.

It use to be that when you said "tether" it meant the top tether, now people will call LATCH a "tether".

You can use LATCH for a rear-facing carseat instead of a seatbelt. You can also use LATCH for a forward facing carseat. LATCH is not used for a booster seat. A top tether is only used for a forward-facing carseat, not a rear-facing nor a booster.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search