WHAT!?!?!?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM
mrobinson
Termination of a pregnancy
When a pregnancy terminates within the first 19 weeks of pregnancy, it is considered an illness under EI. If that is the case, sickness benefits may be paid as long as the qualifying conditions for sickness benefits are met.

On the other hand, if the pregnancy terminates in the 20th week or later, the claim for benefits can be considered for maternity benefits if the qualifying conditions for maternity benefits are met.
source

~~~~~~~~

Did you guys know anything about this?
November 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
From what I can understand, as far as income for the mother goes, there is no difference. The amount of hours to qualify and amount of weeks (pay) available is the same. Sounds like a difference in accounting.

"terminate" is the term used in a miscarriage. I am pretty certain this isn't for an abortion (although if you do have one, your Dr can write you off on sickness anyway. A Dr can always write a note to have you on sick benefits).

November 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Super Mommy
The verbage is bad - but......
since any pregnancy under 20 weeks, when the pregnancy is lost (miscarriage) it is considered a Spontaneous Abortion, 20+ weeks, still birth. So, perhaps the difference between illness=miscarriage, stillbirth=maternity.

Just a thought....

Good things come to those who wait

Low and slow betas (possible blighted ovum)
July 4: BFP - EDD March 9/09
July 7: 538
July 11: 1134
July 14: 1782
u/s July 21 @ 2:15 pm - blighted ovum, d&c to be scheduled
November 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When i was pregnant I had a threatened misscarriage at 4-5weeks. I had to go to the ER. When I fell down a flgiht of stairs at 19 weeks 5days, I had to go to the ER. When I got cramps and started Pre term labour at 23 weeks.. I went to the maternity ward. Its weird but that is how it works in Canada. 20 weeks under not viable. Anything over 20 weeks is viable (thought the chances of a baby 23weeks and under surviving are slim to non and even 24-25 weeks is iffy) Anyhoo.. It is odd I know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search