Body confirmed as pregnant wife

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
EDMONTON -- Pregnant mother Liana White's body was too decomposed for the medical examiner to determine how she died, Edmonton police said Tuesday.

The partially clothed body of the 29-year-old hospital clerk was found in a ditch by a farmer's field Sunday, five days after she was reported missing.

Her husband Michael White, 28, has been charged with second-degree murder in her death. White is also charged with committing an indignity to a dead body.

"It was in a state of decomposition hence the undetermined cause of death," Det. Michael Campeau announced at a news conference.

He wouldn't comment on whether White was stabbed or strangled, but did say "there are signs on the body she was involved in a struggle."

Further tests need to be done to determine cause of death, he said.

When asked about a motive, the veteran detective would only say "We are still working on that. There are still many leads to follow up on."

The police announcement came only hours after an exhausted-looking Michael White made his first court appearance where he reserved plea on the charges.

White closed his eyes and winced as the charges were read out in court.

Outside court, his lawyer, Larry Anderson, was tight-lipped.

"We are anxious to answer these allegations," said Anderson, a former president of the Law Society of Alberta.

"The matter has simply been put over for a few weeks so they can find a prosecutor and then we can get enough information so we can begin formulating our defence."

White showed little emotion as he scanned the courtroom while the charges were read out. His next court appearance is July 26.

Campeau said the families of both Michael and Liana have been devastated by the developments. Their daughter, Ashley, 3, was believed to be in the custody of Liana's mother, he said.

"It's a tragic day, it's not a victory for the police service. It's just a tragic day for two families. We're not here to celebrate anything. Unfortunately it's a tragedy for both sets of families. Liana's mom is not doing well at all."

Campeau said he felt especially sorry for little Ashley.

"I do. She's lost both her mom and dad."

Liana White's Ford Explorer was found abandoned just blocks from her home with her purse, shoes and cellphone scattered nearby.

Nothing appeared to have been taken, nor were there any signs of a struggle.

Campeau said she was seen just before midnight last Monday by someone other than White, about seven hours before the SUV was reported in the parking lot.

After days of fruitless searching by police, the body was discovered by a crew of volunteers, including White.

Earlier that day he said his nights since Liana's disappearance alternated between nightmares and sleeplessness.

"If they're thinking it was the husband, forget the husband. Let's find my wife," he told a reporter, adding that he feared the worst.

"I want people to know she was an outstanding person who contributed to the community," he said. "There's no reason why this should have happened."

Neighbours and co-workers of the Whites were in shock, describing the couple as normal people who held barbecues, worked on fixing up their house and helped out their friends.

The manager of the truck repair shop where White worked for almost three years said he just can't believe his friend and colleague had been charged with murder.

Some of the other employees at the shop helped White search for his wife.

"We're all in shock and awe. I wouldn't have seen it coming for a million years," said Rob Hansen, who added he had spent time socially with the couple.

"We all thought he was a very solid person, which makes us very distraught. She was always smiling and happy. This has hit everybody like a ton of bricks."

...Continued

Another colleague, Aaron Coulter, said he still can't believe his friend is in jail charged with murder.

He remembered White occasionally bringing his wife around the truck repair shop.

"We never would have expected anything from him like this. He was an `everybody's best friend' kind of guy. He would do anything for you. Stick around late to help you," Coulter said.

"They always got along great as far as I could see. He was a good family man."

Michael and Liana White met at a nightclub in 1998, not long after she moved to Edmonton from Kelowna, B.C., and while he was still working in the Canadian military.

They had a small wedding in 2000, and a year later, welcomed a daughter. The couple sometimes spoke of returning to his hometown of Mar, Ont.

Published reports say the couple were heavily in debt, with liens on two vehicles and a $166,000 mortgage on a $170,000 house.

The fact that Liana was four months pregnant has prompted chilling comparisons to Scott Peterson, a California man convicted of killing his wife, Laci, and their unborn child.

Campeau said police could not charge White for that death.

"Unfortunately in Canada, you can't charge a person with the death of an unborn baby," he said.

The charge of committing an indignity to a dead body was laid because White's body was disposed of improperly.

Campeau said they believe Michael White acted alone.

While he doesn't have a criminal record, White did have a record during his time in the military, he said.

July 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Veteran
This story has been on the tips of everyones tongues to be sure. I remember thinking that he was a little too together like he practiced his speech before
he gave it. The news today said one of their Red Flags was he never mentioned
his unborn son. That showed a lack of feeling. He had a dishonerable discharge
for possesion of stolen property, computers and cars I think.
July 19th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah i didnt believe his so called "speech" from the start.. something was fishy about it.
and well not surprised at all about this.. its disgusting really.

July 20th, 2005, 05:46 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
I don't watch the news so I had never heard about this, but how sad Last time I was pregnant was when Laci Peterson disappeared. Her husband also seemed shady from the get go.

July 20th, 2005, 05:56 AM
MrsSandraB's Avatar Veteran
Yes! I thought the speech was weird too...right from the beginning I thought it didn't make sense. I cannot believe someone can do this - even tho he's not convicted yet - but they must have alot of evidence to be able to charge him.

It sucks!
July 20th, 2005, 08:13 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I was in Edmonton when the body was found and driving home when they confirmed it was her. What a sick man.

July 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i dont know the exact statistic but you are at a much higher chance of spousal abuse while pregnant.

July 20th, 2005, 08:50 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was watching America's Most Wanted a couple weeks ago and they said that the #1 cause among pregnant women is murder. That is very scary.

I don't think its right that they can't get charged with murder on an unborn baby either.

This is slightly off topic. I don't know how many of you believe in abortion but I am very strong against it. Every week I search for a picture of the baby at how ever many weeks I am to have as my desktop so I can see how its growing. Anyways this week I was searching for 10 weeks and it was very hard to find a picture of the baby in the womb and not an aborted baby at 10 weeks. It's probably because my emotions are running high right now but it really bothered me and it bothered me to think that women could just kill their babies but if someone was to kill them and their unborn child then it would be two counts of murder (in other countries of course) anyways I just wanted to vent.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 20th, 2005, 09:21 PM
kraeon's Avatar Super Mommy
absolutely heartbreaking...im speechless about some of the extremes these ppl go to...
I feel very naive i just don't understand it...
K_A_T i know how you feel about trying to find the pics of the babies in utero, i love to keep track and see how big my lil one is and showing everyone i can...hard to come across an aborted fetus pic...esspecially being pg and being overly emotional...makes me scared something will happen to the baby....
July 20th, 2005, 09:26 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes I get so emotional from it. I did come across something that I thought was kind of cute though. A woman had to have her pregnancy terminated because it was tubal at ten weeks and when the doctor pulled the baby out in the sac it was still alive,, and the doctor seen it kicking and stuff and once every minute it would swim around the sack,, just like a grown person would swim. I thought that was very cute. Sad that the mother has to terminate the pregnancy,, but cute to think my baby is swimming around having a good time in there.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
someone and i dont know who cuz it said "Your Friend" as the from name..
sent me a picture of a decapitated fetus aborted at 33 weeks of pregnancy the day i turned 33 weeks.
very disturbing and the email people wouldnt do anything about the harassment.

July 21st, 2005, 12:20 AM
that is absolutely disgusting...im sorry someone sent u that!!! im sorry someone did that to begin with
July 21st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by kraeon@Jul 21 2005, 12:20 AM
that is absolutely disgusting...im sorry someone sent u that!!! im sorry someone did that to begin with
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I know i almost threw up.. my mum had to go and delete the email for me cuz i couldnt even get back to the computer to close the window.

July 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM

to change the topic to something more pleasant...your tummy pics are beautiful!!!!
July 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by kraeon@Jul 21 2005, 01:01 PM

to change the topic to something more pleasant...your tummy pics are beautiful!!!!
[/quote]
aww thank you! too sweet.

July 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
What happened was disgusting and I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his life. He always seemed out of whack in all his TV appearances.

I know of a couple of people on another forum Im on (a canadian military site - the husband that killed his wife was ex-military) where one of the members is friends of friends of theres, and another member had to go to the police because the day she disapeered, when the member was driving home she saw a shoe hanging out of a bush (in the same area) but she never thought anything of it. She's been having a hard time with that.

I hope that justice will be served, and it breaks my heart that one can not be charged for the death of an unborn baby.

July 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggy@Jul 22 2005, 09:10 AM
What happened was disgusting and I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his life.* He always seemed out of whack in all his TV appearances.

I know of a couple of people on another forum Im on (a canadian military site - the husband that killed his wife was ex-military) where one of the members is friends of friends of theres,* and another member had to go to the police because the day she disapeered, when the member was driving home she saw a shoe hanging out of a bush (in the same area) but she never thought anything of it. She's been having a hard time with that.

I hope that justice will be served, and it breaks my heart that one can not be charged for the death of an unborn baby.
[/quote]
yeah in cases like that sometimes it would be good if he could be charged with something for hurting the baby as well.
but at least he'll get five minutes in jail for murdering his wife..
sometimes i wish we had the justice system of the US..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search