Info on Canada Child tax credit

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Just thought I would share this link, they say to apply even if you are not sure you are elgible, they will base it on last years tax info for you (and your spouse or common law partner should you have one). Last time I had to go pick up the sheets to apply for Elle and now I see online that you can have them sent to you, so that is what I did LOL so now I have them ready for when this baby comes.

Canada Child Tax Credit

A questions for other Moms, in the hospital they did not even give me the sheet to send away for the baby's birth certificate, instead what was given to me was an application for a certificate of live birth anyway I ended up getting both (had to go once again and pick up the sheet) and it took 9 mos!!!! to get Elle's birth certificate (apparently due to some back log?!)

Anyway question is, did anyone else have any of these problems???

August 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks!

August 2nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got my child tax benifit paper from the hospital, and it took about 3 to 5 months for them to start paying for the new baby.

I got my birth certificates within 2 weeks of sending the forms away, so no problems there either.
August 2nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 4girlsin5years@Aug 2 2005, 11:22 PM
I got my child tax benifit paper from the hospital, and it took about 3 to 5 months for them to start paying for the new baby.

I got my birth certificates within 2 weeks of sending the forms away, so no problems there either.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

You are not in Ontario are you?

August 2nd, 2005, 11:22 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
We don't qualify for child tax so I don't even bother to apply.

As for the birth certificate (don't you love the form, certificate of live birth), I have always got mine right away. I fill in the papers for the healthcare # the same day or so and get that number and then the form for the government and I get that right away then I get the SIN right away too. Then I set up the RESP, which you can't do until you have SIN and you can't get that without a birth certificate and seeing how you get more money the sooner you start the RESP we don't even wait...

Wow, that was long winded...

August 3rd, 2005, 04:32 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They gave me all the forms in the hospital and you HAVE to fill them out before you are discharged..It took me 2 months to get the CTB 4 weeks for his medicare card and his birthcertifcate

August 3rd, 2005, 05:47 AM
Boy they must do things different here LOL Unless they just did not give me everything I needed. My BIL sent away for a replacement birth certificate and his took even longer than Elle! As for the health card, they gave me the number in the hospital and soon enough it was followed up by a card. I had to take this little piece of paper with the number on it to the Dr at the first visit!

August 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM
Until we got Isaac's medicare number and card eveytime he had to be seen at the follow up clinics(cause he was a preemie) they used my number and my card..

August 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is common in Ontario to have a long waiting list for the birth certificate. I also believe that in Ontario(and some of the larger cities throughout the country) the forms are not supplied at the hospital. Here all forms were supplied. The Child Tax Credit was received within 2months(they backpay it to the date the baby was born), the birth certificate was received within a couple of weeks.
August 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am in Alberta, maybe things are quicker here.

My youngest was a preemie too, and I don't remember her not having her own Alberta Health Care number. I couldn't tell you how that came about, I had other things on my mind with her. Now I kinda wonder how that went.

Yay for Child Tax Benefit
August 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by #5in2005@Aug 3 2005, 11:29 PM
I am in Alberta, maybe things are quicker here.

My youngest was a preemie too, and I don't remember her not having her own Alberta Health Care number. I couldn't tell you how that came about, I had other things on my mind with her. Now I kinda wonder how that went.

Yay for Child Tax Benefit*
[/quote]

HEHE..

August 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
Quote:
Originally posted by ChristaT@Aug 2 2005, 01:21 PM
Just thought I would share this link, they say to apply even if you are not sure you are elgible, they will base it on last years tax info for you (and your spouse or common law partner should you have one). Last time I had to go pick up the sheets to apply for Elle and now I see online that you can have them sent to you, so that is what I did LOL so now I have them ready for when this baby comes.

Canada Child Tax Credit

A questions for other Moms, in the hospital they did not even give me the sheet to send away for the baby's birth certificate, instead what was given to me was an application for a certificate of live birth* * anyway I ended up getting both (had to go once again and pick up the sheet) and it took 9 mos!!!! to get Elle's birth certificate (apparently due to some back log?!)

Anyway question is, did anyone else have any of these problems???
[/quote]

Most hospitals dont give birth certificate papers out, only the one for statement of live birth. Once you have the statement of live birth then you can apply for the birth certificate as your child will be registered by then

August 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM
You have to pay like 40.00 for the certificate of live birth (here anyway). Just wanted to mention that.

Recently I went to change my address and DD's on our health cards (had been putting off LOL). I was able to do my online however I couldn't do hers!? It kept asking for the registration number that the hospital used to give me the health card # Usually this is the last few digits of the birth certificate but since she did not have one I have no clue what they used? I ended up going to one of those mall kiosks and putting the card in to change it there.

August 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ChristaT@Aug 5 2005, 08:21 AM
You have to pay like 40.00 for the certificate of live birth (here anyway). Just wanted to mention that.

Recently I went to change my address and DD's on our health cards (had been putting off LOL). I was able to do my online however I couldn't do hers!? It kept asking for the registration number that the hospital used to give me the health card # Usually this is the last few digits of the birth certificate but since she did not have one I have no clue what they used? I ended up going to one of those mall kiosks and putting the card in to change it there.
[/quote]

We got the birth certificate free here..

August 5th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PIXIEDUST@Aug 5 2005, 09:39 AM
We got the birth certificate free here..
[/quote]

So did I since it was not a replacement but I had to have the statement of live birth (a diff document) in order to get the birth certificate. I had thought that the statement of live birth was the same thing but it is not stupid forms LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search