I'm just wondering about....

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM
mrobinson

Hey girls - I have a question for you. Are you girls "political?" I didn't think I was until I realized no one is chit chatting about subjects... (I assumed everyone did.) I was complaining that no one seems interested when it was pointed out this is mainly an American board. (The implication that Amercians generally don't care about the rest of the world and like to stick their heads in the sand about issues effecting them.) I was also reminded that Canadians seem to have an unnatural ability to talk about the world, issues and the weather...

I'm wondering if you Canadian girls talk about things going on? Are you all maybe just too busy? (I have to remind myself most people here are also parents - that could be a huge factor?) Just wondering about your perspective?
September 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a political(Liberal to be exact), very opinionated woman who tends to talk too much, too directly, too point blank which often causes debates and controversy which gets me into trouble. So what would you like to discuss?lol
September 16th, 2005, 10:04 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if I would say Iam political..but I have been known to my my opinion known from time to time..

September 16th, 2005, 10:04 AM
chlodoll
I like to talk about issues and events. I tend to have more stronger opinions about issues in other countries than our own though! I think alot of canadians have that problem. We have no idea whats going on here but everywhere else.

I always am on the debate board however I dont particpate in it to much because I dont like the amount of religion always being brought up. I cannot debate someone when their opinion on the topic at hand is always gods will.
September 16th, 2005, 10:19 AM
mrobinson
Chloe - THANK YOU!!! I'm so happy to hear you feel that. I feel very similar there. I always wonder "*** does God have to do with this?"

I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one- I don't know if it's a Canadian thing or not, but at least if I want to BS about a topic, I'll know where to post it - THE CANADIAN MOMMIES SECTION!!!
September 16th, 2005, 10:27 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Sep 16 2005, 01:19 PM
I always wonder "*** does God have to do with this?"
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Thats what i ask myself all the time! I do not have a problem with religion. Whatever religion you practice I am fine with. However I think people need to be able to take a step back from there religious beliefs sometimes and look at topics from a more political or scientific stance. I feel that people who can't do that aren't really broadening their knowledge on any subject.
September 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I can very opinionated, it use to get me in trouble on message/bulletin boards (but I have wisened up).

What do you want to discuss?

September 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM
mrobinson
What do I want to discuss? I'll start a new thread!

BTW - i'm really happy you girls are into this...
September 16th, 2005, 11:56 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
I am politically inept I can still discuss things but there is just too much I don't understand. When I vote for a party I get all the pamplets together, read them all and then vote for the one I hate least We always get screwed in the end, I am not entirely sure that the voting system is not fixed...conspiracy LOL I just love how everyone complains about the elected party even when THEY voted for them (and yet deny it!), always get a kick out of that...but yeah I have no clue when it comes to most things....

September 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by ChristaT@Sep 16 2005, 12:56 PM
I am not entirely sure that the voting system is not fixed...conspiracy LOL I just love how everyone complains about the elected party even when THEY voted for them (and yet deny it!), always get a kick out of that...but yeah I have no clue when it comes to most things....
[/quote]
Ah HA!!! Admission from you Easterners! (Just kidding!)

I know, it's like the Conservatives out here. The west voted them in, then let the party in-fighting just go? What's up with that? Is anyone in our Federal Government worth the vote?

Edit: BTW- My maidan name was Elliott - It's nice to see you have the two l's and two t's as well!
September 16th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Ah HA!!! Admission from you Easterners! (Just kidding!)[/b]
lol

On another board of mine, there are 4 or 5 Canadian women having a 100% calm & polite discussion about politics. It seems like an impossible thing to have happen, but it is.
September 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Sep 16 2005, 02:04 PM
I know, it's like the Conservatives out here.* The west voted them in, then let the party in-fighting just go? What's up with that?* Is anyone in our Federal Government worth the vote?

[/quote]

As a westerner, can I please just say that I did NOT vote conservative? Liberal all the way baby - even with the sponsorship scandal they are better than the conservatives (in my opinion anyway!)

With politics I think you vote for who you hate least. And if you don't vote, you can't complain!!
September 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
**very excited about upcoming threads**

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
September 21st, 2005, 05:03 PM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mrobinson, I'm very political. In fact, a few years ago I was a voting member of the Reform Party of Canada (though for anyone who's curious, I vote Liberal federally because I REALLY don't want to split the vote and end up with the virtual communists in power). The interesting thing is that, while I'm a Christian now, I wasn't this time last year... in fact, I didn't believe in God at all! I won't get into how that changed.

I have always joked about being as right wing as they come... a virtual fascist. To be honest, I've never been very sympathetic to people and figured that everyone is responsible for their own destiny. If they're poor, that's their problem... shoulda stayed in school, worked harder, not had a baby at 16, not taken up smoking, whatever...

The reason God has something to do with it for all Christian people is because when you decide that God is important to you, you end up with guidelines for life (the bible) which clearly states its position on most topics. I have yet to find something that I have a question to where I cannot find an answer in the bible. It's next to impossible to separate the two.

I used to not care one way or the other who was sleeping with whom, who aborted their baby, who did which drugs (as long as it didn't affect me). However, because God tells me these things are wrong, and due to personal circumstances I cannot deny that God exists, I believe they're wrong. Hey, I still think people are responsible for their own fate (to some extent), but the bible tells me to love everyone, so I do my best to do that even if I think they're in a self-perpetuated state of misery brought on by their own poor decisions.

How's that for some statements...
September 22nd, 2005, 07:11 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by bright future@Sep 21 2005, 06:03 PM
Mrobinson, I'm very political. In fact, a few years ago I was a voting member of the Reform Party of Canada (though for anyone who's curious, I vote Liberal federally because I REALLY don't want to split the vote and end up with the virtual communists in power). The interesting thing is that, while I'm a Christian now, I wasn't this time last year... in fact, I didn't believe in God at all! I won't get into how that changed.

I have always joked about being as right wing as they come... a virtual fascist. To be honest, I've never been very sympathetic to people and figured that everyone is responsible for their own destiny. If they're poor, that's their problem... shoulda stayed in school, worked harder, not had a baby at 16, not taken up smoking, whatever...

The reason God has something to do with it for all Christian people is because when you decide that God is important to you, you end up with guidelines for life (the bible) which clearly states its position on most topics. I have yet to find something that I have a question to where I cannot find an answer in the bible. It's next to impossible to separate the two.

I used to not care one way or the other who was sleeping with whom, who aborted their baby, who did which drugs (as long as it didn't affect me). However, because God tells me these things are wrong, and due to personal circumstances I cannot deny that God exists, I believe they're wrong. Hey, I still think people are responsible for their own fate (to some extent), but the bible tells me to love everyone, so I do my best to do that even if I think they're in a self-perpetuated state of misery brought on by their own poor decisions.

How's that for some statements...
[/quote]
Thanks for joining our conversation!

I may not believe in the God that the churches see, but I don't disagree with that special warmth in my heart that tells me the right thing to go with. I think that's why I vote Green Party or NDP - because to me, it's all about the rest of the people and the Earth. (Last federal election I voted for NDP because of John Chan, the guy running... When I added up the Liberial, NDP, Green Party and other independants - combined they still didn't even come close to toppling the Conservatives in my area. ) My compassion commands to me, my political views. I completely understand why you believe God is apart of this issue. To me, I think I can convey my point-of-view without mentioning faith in order to accomplish my goal in an attempt to not offend others who don't share my personal faith. If we are all trying to do good, the faith leads us without us needed to mention it. JMHO.
September 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Sep 16 2005, 12:19 PM
I always wonder "*** does God have to do with this?"

[/quote]

For me, God has everything to do with it. I can apply logic and science to whatever decision I make, but my final decision usually relates to how I can relate the current decisions to my faith.

I'm not a bible thumper who tries to convert everyone around me. For me God is personal. I turn to Him when faced with indecision and thank Him for my blessings.

My church is quite Liberal in it's views, but I do not vote with my church. I feel comfortable in knowing that my relationship with God does not rely on my church. I believe in Him, and turn to Him, but am so grateful that He gave me the power of logic, and the ability to make up my own mind.
September 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM
mrobinson
Well, I guess it's not a Canadian thing. Strong religion is here too. Thanks for your replies - I'm learning from it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search